Community Forum

Why hasn't Xfinity management addressed and fixed the modem restart function on its website?

Frequent Visitor

Why hasn't Xfinity management addressed and fixed the modem restart function on its website?

For nigh on a year now, the Xfinity.com website is not able to restart neither of my two Xfinity approved ARRIS modems.  One is used soley for my home telephone and the other is for internet connection. 

Until about a year ago, I could rely on restarting my ARRIS modem from the Xfinity.com website, but along the way something changed and even though I have contacted Xfinity technicians on this issue and each time after going through the troubleshoot process, technicians have all referred the issue to the engineers that maintain the Xfinity.com come website.  Those people apparently do not work at all to fix the issue.

The fact that the website has the function, but does not do what it is supposed to should be embarrassing to Xfinity.com managagers, technicians, and exectivies.  Qutie embarrassing to say the least.

Official Employee

Re: Why hasn't Xfinity management addressed and fixed the modem restart function on its website?

Hi, I would like to help look into this issue. Can you please provide details as to what part of the website you are having issues with the Restart Gateway option? Are you using the xFi website, or are you using the MyAccount website?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Why hasn't Xfinity management addressed and fixed the modem restart function on its website?

I enter my account on the xfinity.com website.  Under Service or under My Account there are several paths to arriving at the Restart My Modem click.  The website shows my X1 TV box, my Voice and Data modem that I use for telephone only, and my Cable Modem.  If I click on either to Restart the Modem - the Voice and Date Modem or the Cable Modem - both result in the same non-restart sequenc.

Anyway when I click on one to restart the modem, the next page show Your must be logged in to troubleshoot your account with the Log In radio button even though I already signed in.  This is not consistent in that some times I am taken to a page that says wait while we scan... then a page comes up that says which modem do you want to restart with two radio bottens - one is Cancel and the other is Continue, which is greyed out.

In short, the sequence never restarts either of my modems, which both are ARRIS and on the approved by COMCAST/xfinity website.

I will try that other website you asked about.

Official Employee

Re: Why hasn't Xfinity management addressed and fixed the modem restart functionn on its website?

Hi @CEwilli

I just wanted to follow up to see if there was a change on your end after trying the xFi website? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Why hasn't Xfinity management addressed and fixed the modem restart functionn on its website?

Hello COMCAST:

The answer is yes.  I logged into xfinity.com.  My Account shows up.  There are different paths to get to the Reset Modem functions.  The website recognizes my devices:  TV Box, Internet Modem (ARRIS) and the other ARRIS modem that I used solely for telephone in my home.

As previously described, I go through the sequence and always it ends without restarting either of my modems.

COMCAST technicians have point out to me that it is likely that the website is not functioning to restart the modem because both are not being leased by COMCAST; in other words, I am the owner of these modems. 

Nevertheless, for years I owned one of those modems and often came to the website to do the Restart Modem function.  That saves me a trip to another room of my house.

I am always able to restart my modems manually, but for me, it is the principle that the xfinity.com website shows the Restart Modem function as part of its online troubleshooting, and that should work, but it does not work form me.

Official Employee

Thanks for letting me know. You're right. My peers and I are still trying to get a definite answer as to why this isn't working for you, but so far have not been able to find anything. If that changes, one of us will try to update this thread. 

Frequent Visitor

Hello ComcastChe:

I certainly appreciate your spirit and look forward to hearing from COMCAST that it works; otherwise, that particular part of the website should have notation about works for so and so and does not for so and so.  That would help eliminate puzzlement and confusion.

Anyway, it is best that the customer be able to Restart the Modems and box from the xfinity.com website.

Thank you for your concern.

Official Employee

You're welcome. I'll keep checking for an update or a response and we can go from there.