Community Forum

Using xFi Advantage Gateway in Bridge Mode my HOME wifi network isn't recognized by streaming app

Regular Visitor

Using xFi Advantage Gateway in Bridge Mode my HOME wifi network isn't recognized by streaming app

I installed an xFi Advantage Gateway TG3482G in my house last night using Bridge mode so that I could use my existing routers and switches.  My internet speeds and WiFi are working fine.  I use my phone to watch TV in the kitchen a lot and last night and this morning before work it was working fine on all channels.  However,  this afternoon, when I came home for lunch every time I use the Xfinity Streaming app in the house it tells me I'm not on my home network and will only show me TVGO channels.  It doesn't matter if I'm using WiFi (on my iPhone) or a hard-wired network cable attached from my ROKU (with the Xfinity Streaming beta app) to the NetGear router plugged into the xFi Gateway, I get the same message about only being able to view TVGO channels because it thinks I'm not on my home network.  Also the bandwith feature on the Xfinity My account app isn't showing any data even though I streamed a bunch of Netflix last night.  

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Using xFi Advantage Gateway in Bridge Mode my HOME wifi network isn't recognized by streaming ap

@wryanmcse wrote:

I installed an xFi Advantage Gateway TG3482G in my house last night using Bridge mode so that I could use my existing routers and switches.  My internet speeds and WiFi are working fine.  I use my phone to watch TV in the kitchen a lot and last night and this morning before work it was working fine on all channels.  However,  this afternoon, when I came home for lunch every time I use the Xfinity Streaming app in the house it tells me I'm not on my home network and will only show me TVGO channels.  It doesn't matter if I'm using WiFi (on my iPhone) or a hard-wired network cable attached from my ROKU (with the Xfinity Streaming beta app) to the NetGear router plugged into the xFi Gateway, I get the same message about only being able to view TVGO channels because it thinks I'm not on my home network.  Also the bandwith feature on the Xfinity My account app isn't showing any data even though I streamed a bunch of Netflix last night.  

It sounds like you have an account issue of some kind.  Try calling 1800comcast - Billing and tell us what they say.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Using xFi Advantage Gateway in Bridge Mode my HOME wifi network isn't recognized by streaming ap

Fixed - I noticed in the My Account app that it was showing a default WiFi network SSID/name with a default password.  Even though it was in Bridge mode (so WiFi was disabled).  I decided to disable Bridge mode,  so I could rename the WiFi SSID to match the SSID already being used in the house.  I left that on for a few hours until I got a message from Xfinity telling me about my new WiFi network name and password.  The next morning I re-enabled Bridge mode (to turn off WiFi from the Xfi Advantage Gateway) after verifying the new SSID showed up in the My Account app.  Now my "home" network/SSID is recognized correctly and I can watch any of my tv channels thru the streaming app.  Apparently they determine your "home" network simply by the SSID name being used.  Nothing more technical...  

Silver Problem Solver

@wryanmcse wrote:

Fixed - I noticed in the My Account app that it was showing a default WiFi network SSID/name with a default password.  Even though it was in Bridge mode (so WiFi was disabled).  I decided to disable Bridge mode,  so I could rename the WiFi SSID to match the SSID already being used in the house.  I left that on for a few hours until I got a message from Xfinity telling me about my new WiFi network name and password.  The next morning I re-enabled Bridge mode (to turn off WiFi from the Xfi Advantage Gateway) after verifying the new SSID showed up in the My Account app.  Now my "home" network/SSID is recognized correctly and I can watch any of my tv channels thru the streaming app.  Apparently they determine your "home" network simply by the SSID name being used.  Nothing more technical...  

Thank you for that detailed explanation; I have my XB6 in Bridge Mode, and I may have to do the same thing some time in the future.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!