Community Forum

Using the USB ports on the gateway

Highlighted
Contributor

Using the USB ports on the gateway

How do I access the hard drive that I have plugged into the USB port on my Arris modem?

Thanks,

Rocky

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Using the USB ports on the gateway

If it's a Comcast rental, the USB port is only good for charging devices. It's never been enabled for anything else.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello, RockyRR! Thanks for reaching out to us for help. 

As Paranoid mentioned, you will not be able to access a hard drive if it is connected directly to your gateway. Please try connecting it directly to the device you are using such as a pc or laptop. I hope that helps, but please let us know if you still need further assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Well, my reason for wanting to use the gateway USB port was to be able to access that drive via the network like I did before Comcast encouraged me to switch to a later model modem/gateway.  With my old modem, I had my Linksys router connected to the modem and my hard drive connected to a USB port on my router.  Not a "happy camper" with this new "gateway".

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@RockyRR - We are sorry that you feel this way but we are happy to address your concern to our engineering team. Thank you for letting us know!

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!