Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Updating router firmware

New Poster

Updating router firmware

How do I update my router’s firmware through xFi app?

Accepted Solutions
Regular Visitor

Re: Updating router firmware

It was just updated the other day to 2.8p24s1 after I made the post.  It hasn't had the problem since the update, so hopefully it is resolved.

Thanks!

All Replies
Expert

You might try power cycling the gateway.

Official Employee

@Gordiehowefan09 wrote:
How do I update my router’s firmware through xFi app?

As RobertWy mentioned, a power cycle of your Gateway will load the latest firmware offered for your Gateway's make/model. 

Is there a specific reason you are trying to upgrade the firmware?

New Poster

My router has been very slow, with intermittent outages.
New Poster

Updating the router's firmware regularly is recommended for security purposes.  Routers can be hacked and firmware updates addressing new vulnerabilities are necessary to maintain the security of your data.  As an "Offical Comcast Employee" I would expect that you'd know that.  Since you don't, I wonder if you know for sure that a power cycle loads the latest firmware.  Here's a question how can you deterimine which firmware version your router is using?

Expert

@alcampana wrote:

Updating the router's firmware regularly is recommended for security purposes.  Routers can be hacked and firmware updates addressing new vulnerabilities are necessary to maintain the security of your data.  As an "Offical Comcast Employee" I would expect that you'd know that.  Since you don't, I wonder if you know for sure that a power cycle loads the latest firmware.  Here's a question how can you deterimine which firmware version your router is using?

I have my own router and I update it when I am notified there is a new update.  Comcast is responsible for updating their rented gateways.

Official Employee

@alcampana wrote:

Power cycles will load the latest firmware made available. You can confirm the firmware version your Gateway is running by logging into xFi > Network > Gateway > Gateway Details. 

Regular Visitor

I need to constantly reboot my router to use the xFi features, otherwise the stats show everyone has a 0.0% usage.  At the same time, if I try to log in to 10.0.0.1 and enter the password, I get an error that displays something about unable to retreive password from back end.  Rebooting the router fixes it, but it happens again every 3 or 4 days.  I did a live chat and had a clueless (as usual) rep from outside of the US who didn't understand my request to update the firmware.  I was told I'm eligible for a modem upgrade at my local service center (not interested in driving there and standing in line).  I have read that there is an updated firmware that is required for the xFi pods, so please upgrade me so my router might work for longer than a week without a reboot.

Thanks!

Model Name
DPC3941T
Vendor
Cisco
Revision
CM MAC
74547D8FF197
Firmware
DPC3941_2.7p8s1_PROD_sey

Official Employee

Kaytu, 

I am sorry to hear you were having that issue. I did check this for you and your Gateway is now running the current DCP3941_2.8 firmware (the latest firmware available at this time).  

If you continue to experience these issues, please reach out to me through private message and I can help take a look. 

Regular Visitor

It was just updated the other day to 2.8p24s1 after I made the post.  It hasn't had the problem since the update, so hopefully it is resolved.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

HI,  i just received my new pods, from the posts i have read, it sounds like it would be very prudent to have the latest firmeware pushed to my router before i start, it doesnt sound like i have the latest... can you help?

System Software Version

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 2.0.2.209

Software Image Name: TG3482_2.8p22s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: TG3482G
Packet Cable: 2.0

thanks for any help!