Community Forum

Unknown Devices

New Poster

Unknown Devices

I am on the Xfinity XFI app and it is showing to devices that I have no clue what they are. One says the manufacturer is HonHaiPr and the other is LeteonTe. I have turned on and off all our devices to try and figure it out, but nothing happens. Anyone have any idea what these are or if I should block them?

image1.png
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Unknown Devices

"HonHaiPr" is probably Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., a.k.a. Foxconn -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn.

"LiteonTe" is probably Lite-On Technology Corporation -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lite-On.

Contributor

If you google HonHairPr and LiteOnTE you'll gets lots of info (from chips to power chords to blue ray players etc). You could always Pause those devices and see if anyone complains. Then you will know what they are :-)

Regular Visitor

I have similar devices but with about 40 others. The host name for one of them was departed magic. Have you seen that name? I have loads of trouble getting rid of these “new” devices.

New Poster

Foxconn makes chips for Playstation. Maybe you have a Playstation connected via wifi.
New Poster

I figured put what our "Liteon" devise is -- it's an Acer laptop. Interestingly, the power cord, the brick part, says "Liteon" on it.
Hope this helps you.
New Poster

I have the HonHairPR device attached to my WiFi and I do not have a PlayStation. How do we "forget device" by disconnecting it from our home network?

Silver Problem Solver

Do you want to forget the device?  It's not clear.  Do you know how to forget a device?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I have the same two devices in my list; I’m thinking it may be chips in the Xfinity router? It’s a little concerning, because it shows as transmitting data. All I can think is that it’s pinging my devices? You’d think the app would be able to screen out its own device, so who knows. Since a bunch of us have the same issue I’m leaning towards it being an Xfinity thing.
New Poster

Click on the device, then scroll down, under more info select device details, then forget device. I’m hesitant though, because if it is an Xfinity device, this router barely works as it is.
New Poster

I had a similar HonHaiPr- address.  Under device details, i got the IP address and plugged it into my browser.  It turns out it was my wireless HP Laserjet Printer.

New Poster

I have a HonHaiPR... it is my Brother Printer.

New Poster

How did you get that to work? 

New Poster

It's my Brother printer.

New Poster

Every device name has that weird random-looking 4 characters after the dash. Yours show FBF9 and 6799. Those numbers are not random. They are the last 4 digits of your device’s MAC address. Every device has a unique MAC address. When trying to identify devices, check the MAC addresses. As I connect my devices to the network, I use the MAC address to identify it and give it a good descriptive name and then assign it to a user or category.
Frequent Visitor

Excellent idea. Turns out my HonHaiPr s also my HP Laserjet printer.
New Poster

After checking my Device Details page and turning on and off all the devices on my network, I discovered that the LiteonTe devices are the SONY BluRay/DVD players that we have connected, which play DVDs but also connect to the internet to stream Netflix, HULU, Amazon and others.  I would advise checking to see if you have one of these types of players on your network.

New Poster

I have same devices showing up, but we figured out the Liteonte was my husbanfs desktop... still have no clue on the HonHiaPr. Did you ever figure it out?
Regular Visitor

For us that HonHiaPr ended up being my sons PS4.   Haven't figured out what the LiteonTe is linked to yet.  We also have one that keeps popping on and off called SugaElec...  I finally paused it.  Guess we will find out if someone starts complaining.  Smiley Happy

New Poster

Along these lines, I just came here looking for the same answer and after some fiddling around learned it was my PS Vita, so check those as well if you've got them.

New Poster

Took me a minute to figure this one out and about just blocked it. LiteonTec-c8cc was my HP laptop (Mind you, I have 6 laptops, 2 phones, and a tablet plus a mother, father, and brother who have their devices...needle in a stack of needles). For some reason this thing is pulling names off of various componants that make up the devices. 

Angel Aces
Contributor

I hope all of you see this - you can pause anything you aren't sure about and wait for someone in the house to complain to figure out what it is.  That is, if doing a Googly with the name didn't help you figure it out.  Once identified, then change the name or at least add more info to it so time isn't wasted in the future trying to figure it out or remember.  You can 'forget' device to remove it by clicking on details, but if it is in the house and needed somehow even if it's paused and no complaints you cannot remove it and will get a message that it has to be disconnected before deleting.  Click around to see and figure it out, just be caredul!  Good Luck everyone!  

New Poster

When I plugged in my non-functioning pod extenders that same name showed up.
New Poster

How do I know whether or not to "FORGET DEVICE" ?  

It won't FORGET anyway if device is not online

New Poster

This is exactly what I needed. Mystery solved! Thanks for posting!
New Poster

Thanks great solution.

New Poster

I have a mac address showing on my network 30:f7:72:11:72:79. Vendor name is Hon hai precision I need to what kind of hardware or device this is.
Silver Problem Solver

See if you can find a device that uses a Foxconn chip.  Also try a google on the MAC address.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

@Jayr_8969 wrote: I have a mac address showing on my network 30:f7:72:11:72:79. Vendor name is Hon hai precision I need to what kind of hardware or device this is.

The MAC address tells you only that the network component of the device uses an address assigned to Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., a.k.a. Foxconn -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn. They make many kinds of these, and the components are used in many other manufacturer's products. The only way I know of to track this down is to check the MAC addresses of all your devices until you find one that matches. You can't find this out from any sort of MAC address database that I know of as they simply aren't detailed enough. Hon Hai may or may not have this information.

New Poster

Yes, I want to delete anything I don’t need.  Do I need these?