Community Forum

Unexplained Device network usage

Highlighted
New Poster

Unexplained Device network usage

Last few days I have noticed spikes in network usage on multiple devices at the same time, at night. Say 3 or 4 devices (Mac, PC, iPhone) at 2 and 4 am one night and, another night, more devices and at 2,3,4 am. What might this be? Anybody else seeing it? Any way to scan to see what it is/was??
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Unexplained Device network usage

@Kerimatey wrote:
Last few days I have noticed spikes in network usage on multiple devices at the same time, at night. Say 3 or 4 devices (Mac, PC, iPhone) at 2 and 4 am one night and, another night, more devices and at 2,3,4 am. What might this be? Anybody else seeing it? Any way to scan to see what it is/was??

Any chance you have had software updates to those devices?  Even app updates?  Facebook usually has large update packages.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

One iPhone probably had updates but no other devices.
Highlighted
New Poster

@Kerimatey  Same here.  Multiple unrelated devices: TV, Phone, Playstation, Echo, Chromecast all spiked at during the 6am and 7am hours.  Our house is still asleep at that time.  Devices are not in use.  I have screen grabs from each of the devices all hitting the "very high" mark during those 2 hours.  

Highlighted
New Poster

I don’t know if someone’s intruding on our network at night or if is XFi just giving us false information. Last night it seemed to wipe out all information just saying at 7 and 8 AM yesterday something was going on and nothing for the whole rest of the time or maybe that was 7 or 8 AM when I was looking today, and everything else was blank ... anyway the data looks really suspect.
Highlighted
New Poster

Hey Comcast or Xfinity whoever you are… How about somebody answer?
Highlighted
New Poster

Definitely XFi data is messed up. Now it shows 0 percent usage in all devices and there are (and have been) several devices online today.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same here. 5:00 am all devices had high activity this morning. It's happened before. I wish someone would explain it to me.
Highlighted
New Poster

I’m have the same issue. Random times — 2 to 4 a.m. when the two people in the house are asleep, Google Home and my iPad have had unusually high activity. No way anyone is using them. I changed my WiFi network name and password, so no one is hacking in. What is happening?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@Pcummi200 wrote:

I’m have the same issue. Random times — 2 to 4 a.m. when the two people in the house are asleep, Google Home and my iPad have had unusually high activity. No way anyone is using them. I changed my WiFi network name and password, so no one is hacking in. What is happening?

Software update?  All my Apple devices recently went trhough an update.  I even have a TV, soundbar and a DVD and they update their software from time to time.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for the reply! I don’t think it could be updates as it happens too frequently. Plus, i know when my apple devices are getting a software update and it doesn’t correlate to those. 

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@Pcummi200 wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I don’t think it could be updates as it happens too frequently. Plus, i know when my apple devices are getting a software update and it doesn’t correlate to those. 

What about the X1 apps that use an Internet connection?  I use Netflix a lot and it can eat up my usage.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan?

Highlighted
Official Employee

Pcummi200, thanks for posting about this strange data usage. Are both devices powered off during the night? There could be some background data usage. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!