Community Forum

The ability for the consumer to manually choose WiFi channel and band have been removed

Frequent Visitor

The ability for the consumer to manually choose WiFi channel and band have been removed

Apparently the latest firmware update takes away the ability for me to manually assign the WiFi channel and the band (20/40/80/160 on the 5Ghz for instance).

My condo association has written in to the CC&Rs that each unit is assigned a range of frequencies and bands to use to avoid the neighbors stepping on each other's WiFi.

Starting tommorrow I will begin receiving $50 fines daily since I am unable to select the channel I am assigned. So my question to Xifinity is where do I send the bill for my daily fines? Or are you going to allow us, as consumers, to opt in to allowing the Gateway to make the decisions for this?

I have already spent 2 hours on the phone today trying to undo this change with no results. What are you going to do for me and the millions who may have perfectly valid reasons for requiring access to these very very standard options?

Frequent Visitor

Re: The ability for the consumer to manually choose WiFi channel and band have been removed

I think I will keep adding to this as this continues.

I needed to make a channel change and a bandwidth change so I used the Support Chat. 50 minutes with them and no changes to my WiFi. That is 3 hours just today I have spent on something that took me under 1 minute.

More to come I'm sure.

Frequent Visitor

Re: The ability for the consumer to manually choose WiFi channel and band have been removed

Was told after the hour on phone yesterday that they would resolve....no changes still to my channel or band. Again, going on 24 hours now waiting for a simple channel and band change that took me under 1 minute.

Comcast, why are you doing this?

Frequent Visitor

And now, because I cannot adjust my channels manually, I am not getting gigabit speeds.....how are you going to resolve this Comcast? Three speed tests put me at under 300 Mbps, used to get 700Mbps+

Silver Problem Solver

You need to give your bands separate names; mine are xxxx-2.4 and xxxx-5.0.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

neg12roni -- 

Thanks for reaching out.  I was able to pull up your account to take a look at what's happening.  I've worked directly with engineering to get an update made on our end that should restore your settings.  Please let me know if you still are experiencing this issue.

Thanks!

Rachel

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

They have separate names.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Rachel. The access is restored and I've successfully changed my channel.

Appreciate it.

Official Employee

neg12roni -- 

Thanks for taking the time to let me know.  Happy to help!

Rachel

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Hi Rachel.

Looks like my firmware version has been updated and I'm once again locked out of changing my channel. Except this time I can still make the changes via the web. I'd prefer to be able to use the 10.0.0.1 access.

The mesh reference makes me think that my account is still flagged as having pods but I returned them a few weeks ago so maybe that's the place to fix this is to make sure that the pods aren't associated to my account anymore?

Can you please resolve? 

And how do we fix this permanently going forward?

thanks

Capture.PNG
Official Employee

neg12roni --

Happy to look into this for you.  Can you please send me a Private Message with a screenshot of what you're seeing when trying to change a channel in 10.0.0.1?  

Thanks!

Rachel

New Poster

I upgraded my modem today and no long have a separate SSID for my 5GHz Band.  Is there a solution that I haven't found?

Silver Problem Solver

If you don't have pods, you can give them different SSID's.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wifi-change-admin-tool

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

On the nex X6 modem/router you can't name your 2.4/5.0 connections to different SSID's Comcast states that merging the 2 speeds and only using 1 name, for both connections it the best way to get optimal performance that your devices will pick the best connection.  So still why can't you change the Channel bandwidth from 20 to 20/40? 

Regular Visitor

I have the new Gig Gateway and have both a 2.4 and a 5.0 network named (example: bluesky2.4, and bluesky5.0) and everything works fine.  I prefer to chose what network each device connects to when I log in vs having the router made that decision.

Am I missing something that the router might bind the two channels together and give me faster throughput or am I dreaming?

Silver Problem Solver

@Forecastdude wrote:

I have the new Gig Gateway and have both a 2.4 and a 5.0 network named (example: bluesky2.4, and bluesky5.0) and everything works fine.  I prefer to chose what network each device connects to when I log in vs having the router made that decision.

Am I missing something that the router might bind the two channels together and give me faster throughput or am I dreaming?

FYI,  the reason some of us have only one SSID is because the xFi Pods won't work with two SSID's.

New Poster

I'm having the same issue. A month or so ago I noticed I was no longer able to change the Wi-Fi channel associated with my account. Much like the original poster, I live in a large condo unit where being forced into one channel can greatly impact speeds/stability. After using the Xfinity chat, an agent was able to reset so I was once again able to change using the XFi app.

Now I'm back in the same place - I once again don't have the option to change the wifi channel in the XFi app or the admin tool for the router. I tried connecting with agents through the chat but they weren't able to resolve like last time. I have spent hours trying to explain to agents, but they don't seem to understand and haven't been able to reset last time. I see from this thread that someone was able to resolve in the past, so I'm hoping you can do the same for me. And it would be great if we could save this setting long term so I don't have to keep reaching it to have this reset each time there's a firmware update.
Silver Problem Solver

@phocks wrote:
I'm having the same issue. A month or so ago I noticed I was no longer able to change the Wi-Fi channel associated with my account. Much like the original poster, I live in a large condo unit where being forced into one channel can greatly impact speeds/stability. After using the Xfinity chat, an agent was able to reset so I was once again able to change using the XFi app.

Now I'm back in the same place - I once again don't have the option to change the wifi channel in the XFi app or the admin tool for the router. I tried connecting with agents through the chat but they weren't able to resolve like last time. I have spent hours trying to explain to agents, but they don't seem to understand and haven't been able to reset last time. I see from this thread that someone was able to resolve in the past, so I'm hoping you can do the same for me. And it would be great if we could save this setting long term so I don't have to keep reaching it to have this reset each time there's a firmware update.

If you don't have Pods, try this:

New Poster

I don't have pods, and have tried all relevant steps in that link with no success. When I use the XFi app (or log in through internet.xfinity.com) I no longer see the section where I used to be able to edit WiFi networks and change the channels, channel width, etc. At the bottom of the screen I see this:

"Can't find a setting? To help optimize your network, some of your settings are now being managed automatically and won't appear here. If you don't see the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi settings (WiFi Mode, Channel Selection, and Channel Mode) in Advanced Settings, this means these settings are now being managed automatically to help optimize your home network and provide the best performance possible."

Same story if I go into the admin tool for the router:  "Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage. To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Xfinity xFi app or visit xfinity.com/myxfi."

As covered earlier in the thread, this automatic management does not optimize speeds if you live in a large building with several users on the same channel - it actually significantly slows down service and can lead to unpredictable stability issues.

New Poster

Still no word from Comcast. Meanwhile I've been automatically moved to a channel that is overcrowded and massively impacting speed and stability. I really don't understand why they can't just restore the ability to manually change Wi-Fi channels like last time, or why this was even automated in the first place.

Silver Problem Solver

@phocks wrote:

Still no word from Comcast. Meanwhile I've been automatically moved to a channel that is overcrowded and massively impacting speed and stability. I really don't understand why they can't just restore the ability to manually change Wi-Fi channels like last time, or why this was even automated in the first place.

One option is to return the Pods and use a mesh system like Orbi:

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/350795/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

New Poster

As mentioned before, I don't have pods. I also don't want to purchase external equipment given that the modem/router works perfectly when I'm able to edit the Wi-Fi channels.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

His first sentance states he DOESN'T own Pods.

@RobertWy wrote:

@phocks wrote:

One option is to return the Pods and use a mesh system like Orbi:

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/350795/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue...also no pods.

Once in a blue moon it allows me to change (not like I check every day though) but it's been this way for probably a year now.  My 2 nextdoor neighbors, who's accounts and hardware I help manage and set-up, have the EXACT same hardware with the EXACT same firmwares and they  both can change their Wi-Fi settings.  One of them was locked out of it for a few months but it magically fixed itself about 6 months ago.  I tried many times just getting someone at Comcast to understand what I was even talking about, most have no clue what channel assignments even are, and it took going to something like a Level 3 tech to find someone who had a clue what the problem was.  Of course, they had no clue why and no resolution (reboot, reset, blah, blah, blah..gee, never thought of rebooting. ugh)

What I think is the issue is that somehow some accounts are flagged internally somewhere as having Pods and therefore the settings are locked out.  This account flag isn't in a "normal" place for lower level techs to find and be able to change so getting it corrected is nigh impossible without a lot of luck.  I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that this is a overall gist of the problem.

I'm just glad I got lucky and was able to get my channel and such settings essentially where I wanted in a brief period of it working before I got locked out again.  But it sure would be nice to be able to control my own network someday....

...sigh.

@phocks wrote:

As mentioned before, I don't have pods. I also don't want to purchase external equipment given that the modem/router works perfectly when I'm able to edit the Wi-Fi channels.

New Poster

FYI, this easily avoidable issue was the thing that ultimately drove me to a different provider. I was getting tired of trying to explain this over an over to support and then I saw a much better, cheaper offer and took it. I doubt Comcast cares, but this would be extremely easy to fix and I still don't understand the logic behind it to begin with.