Community Forum

TG3482G Wi-Fi Range problems?

New Poster

TG3482G Wi-Fi Range problems?

I recently replaced my old comcast modem with the new TG34823G modem and as soon as I did, I notice that my thermostat (ecobee) can't connect to the wifi after setting up the modem.  Discover that the problem is the wifi range isn't reaching thermostat. I get an app (Wi-Fi Sweetspots) and discover that my wi-fi signal is dropping by about 1/3 every 20 feet I move away from the Modem and virtually goes to zero by the time I get to my thermosat upstairs.

Anyone else have this problem where there is a drastic drop off in the wi-fi signal with the TG34823G.

BTW, they crappy little netgear router connected to the modem that comcast gave me for my home security has a better wi-fi range than the new one, so it is not the wood walls causing the problem.

Frequent Visitor

Re: TG3482G Wi-Fi Range problems?

Yes I have the same problem. I upgraded to the gigabit which can handle over 30 devices but the range on the TG3482 is horrible. I even tried to place my gateway on bridge mode using Eero which work great for 2 weeks then I started have issues so returned the eero’s and now just waiting for XFi Pods to become available for the XB6.
New Poster

I am probably going to downgrade to get the range, as I don't think I can even put a wi-fi extender on it, unless it is very close to the gateway and I don't want to invest a bunch of money - they really should get this fixed.

Silver Problem Solver

The pods will help.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/Xfinity-xFi-Pods-Now-Available-in-Select-Markets/m-p/30156...

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Sure Robert you can always spend money to get things better.  I wonder if they are purposely holding the wi-fi range so people spend more money on pods....

Silver Problem Solver

JohnBuffi wrote:

Sure Robert you can always spend money to get things better.  I wonder if they are purposely holding the wi-fi range so people spend more money on pods....

I am doubtful; in my case I have an Arris XB3 and I was upgraded to the 250 ethernet tier but that didn't have anything to do with my wifi speed.  The XB3 just doesn't have the oompgh to provide faster wifi.  And I suspect the XB6 has the same issue, so Comcast is offering the orbs to address the issue.  Just a guess.  Otherwise, why would there be other third-party solutions like Orbi and Linksys VELOP?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I  went back to the XB3 and now have WI-FI coverage in my entire house - much better than the XB6.