Community Forum

Strange connected devices to my router : Android security notification

Highlighted
New Poster

Strange connected devices to my router : Android security notification

So, recently we had a strange series of events. Our internet connection suddenly stopped one day. WiFi worked, but not connection to the web. We set up a service appointment 24 hours later. Two hours after we make the appointment, we get a call from “Comcast advanced technical support” from a 855 number. It seemed legit, so I followed their instructions to try and reset my router. I verified only my phone number and address, then it started to sound fishy. I googled the number it came back a possible scam number, so I hung up and disconnected the router. Next day, service tech shows up and decided we need to replace our router. It’s up and running, tried to connect an Android phone, and a notification comes up “the security of this network has been compromised.” So, I look through the connected devices on the router, and their are devices named “Shanghai-AF78” and a few others with the Shanghai leading name. I tried to “forget” the devices from router, but they keep reconnecting. Questions:

1) Are the Shanghai devices normal?
2) is the android notification related?
3) how do I solve this problem if in fact our network has been compromised?
Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Strange connected devices to my router : Android security notification

It's possible that these may be your phones. I suggest seeing if you can match the MAC Address for any of the "Shanghai" devices to the MAC address on any of your phones. 

You can view the MAC in xFi by selecting the Device > Device Details. 

To check the MAC Address on an Android phone: 

1. Open the Settings menu by selecting the gear icon.
  2. Select About Phone.
  3. Select Status.
  4. Locate the MAC address in the WiFi MAC Address field.

I hope this helps. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Strange connected devices to my router : Android security notification

I have 23 hosts including a roomba and cannot connect or reset the router to upgrade services. It restarts randomly and TV goes out several times per day and I can’t access email or admin settings because you suspended my account and I am being charged for services that I never added. Jn short: you allowed a perfect stranger to take admin privileges over my network <Edited for violating forum guidelines>