Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Same name for both bands?

New Poster

Same name for both bands?

I was having an issue with device connectivity on my older xfinity dual band modem. I had an extender that was getting confused by my networks being named the same...at least that's what xfinity tech told me. They added a 5 to the 5ghz band and life seemed to get better. I just upgraded to the xb6 advanced gateway. In reading the faqs about xfi pods it states that they will only work if both bands are named exactly the same with exact same passwords. Seems highly contradictory to me... should I remove the 5? I'd love to understand the benefits. Our household often has an android phone, two iPhones and two PlayStations and multiple smart home devices in use. Lights, Echo, Echo Dot, etc. Thank you
Screenshot_20171231-114202.png
Expert

Re: Same name for both bands?

It's true; they have to be the same name and password.

New Poster

So...any idea why the Comcast employee switched the name on my 5ghz? They claimed it was confusing my devices.
Official Employee

The easiest way to explain, is when your bands were combined your devices were possibly flip flopping between the 2 wireless bands, affecting their connectivity. Once separated, your device is sticking to the one designated to it. That is probably what the tech meant by confusing your devices.
Expert

jasong23 wrote:
So...any idea why the Comcast employee switched the name on my 5ghz? They claimed it was confusing my devices.

Other than XFINITY Internet and an xFi Gateway, is there anything else that is required to use xFi Pods?
In order to activate and use your xFi Pods, your home network must have the following settings enabled:

• A password to join your WiFi network (meaning, your WiFi Security Mode setting must be password-protected).
  • One WiFi network name and password. (You cannot have a separate WiFi network name and password for your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks.)
  • An enabled and broadcasting WiFi network (meaning, your WiFi network cannot be disabled through the Gateway's Admin Tool (10.0.0.1)).

I have a printer that only works with 2.4 and it is able to connect because the system gives it a 2.4 band even though the SSID is the same.

New Poster

Why does the Xfi put the 2.4 on Automatic and disable the 5ghz? I had to call in and have them to activate the 5 again but it seems like it slow down since they did that