Community Forum

Reset wifi password failure

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Reset wifi password failure

I've changed my wifi password in "my xifinity account" mutlitple times, but my phone and tablet will only connect using the old one.  In "my xfinity account" the new one is always listed, but it doesn't work.   I even waited overnight the last time before trying to use the new one so as to give plenty of time for the change to occur.  The phone will not connect with the new password, only the old one.  I reset the modem this morning and as expected the old password is now listed.  I'm the first to admit I'm not knowledgeable regarding networks, but this is frustrating.  It appears I'm going to have to live with this unless I'm missing something...

Valued Contributor

Re: Reset wifi password failure

@cestbmcd wrote:

I've changed my wifi password in "my xifinity account" mutlitple times, but my phone and tablet will only connect using the old one.  In "my xfinity account" the new one is always listed, but it doesn't work.   I even waited overnight the last time before trying to use the new one so as to give plenty of time for the change to occur.  The phone will not connect with the new password, only the old one.  I reset the modem this morning and as expected the old password is now listed.  I'm the first to admit I'm not knowledgeable regarding networks, but this is frustrating.  It appears I'm going to have to live with this unless I'm missing something...

The ID and password for your modem or gateway are different than your ID and password for your Xfinity account online.  Your ID & PW for WIFI devices would be the ID and PW you set up for your gateway or router if you have one.

see 

To view your modem’s status page go to http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1

If you have an Xfinity gateway device,  the default username is admin and the default password is password.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I realize that my account password is different than the gateway/modem password.  I reset the password under "WiFi and Network Password" found in the  Settings page, not my account password.

I just tried connecting to the 2 links you provided to see my modem's status.  The first timed out, the second asked for name and password.  "admin" and "password" did not work.  I tried my account name and password, then my wifi network name with that password.  Both failed and locked me out for 5 minutes. 

Silver Problem Solver

@cestbmcd wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I realize that my account password is different than the gateway/modem password.  I reset the password under "WiFi and Network Password" found in the  Settings page, not my account password.

I just tried connecting to the 2 links you provided to see my modem's status.  The first timed out, the second asked for name and password.  "admin" and "password" did not work.  I tried my account name and password, then my wifi network name with that password.  Both failed and locked me out for 5 minutes. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the link.  I've been there and followed the various directions with no luck.  In the latest attempt I tried to reset the gateway to factory settings by holding reset button in for 25 seconds.  This was to clear any forgotten name and passwords I might have created years ago.  After the system came up I tried to use the "Xfinity Wireless Gateway Admin Tool" at http://10.0.0.1.  Input admin and password in the fields and authentication failed.  It seems it will not let me change the wireless password, nothing works.  I'm tire of dealing with this so am thinking of turning it in for a new one for a fresh start.

Thanks for all the input.

Silver Problem Solver

You might try asking for help in the Your Home Network Forum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Greetings, cestbmcd! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize to have of the issues you are having with trying to update your password. I can certainly look into this for you if you haven't already swapped out the modem. Please send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello, cestbmcd. I have not heard back from you. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!