Community Forum

Removing a Device from WiFi Network

New Poster

Removing a Device from WiFi Network

So, I am using the xfi app to look over my modem/router. Under the device tabs were a handful of connected devices I have never seen before and none of them match up to any of my devices. The only thing I was able to do was to pause the devices access to my WiFi network- how do I remove them? I was able to go to Device Details, but in order to allow me to press Forget Device, I need to disconnect it from my network. Any ideas on what to do?
Frequent Visitor

Re: Removing a Device from WiFi Network

If on Mobile...

1. Open Xfinity xFi App

2. On the Bottom of Screen, Tap "Devices"

3. Click Device that you Want Forgotten

4. Scroll Down to "Device Details" and Tap

5. Click "Forget Device"

6. Follow Prompts

Let me know if this does not work...

New Poster

Very helpful, thanks. 

New Poster

does not let me forget device. says i have to remove from network first. no direction on how to remove from network
Silver Problem Solver

@ndegioia wrote:
does not let me forget device. says i have to remove from network first. no direction on how to remove from network

I take it you don't know which physical device it is?  If you do know which one it is, try turning the device off.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I’ve been trying to clean up my devices and I’ve followed these steps but the unconnected devices are still listed after I’ve clicked forget device.
Silver Problem Solver

@Mkatht wrote:
I’ve been trying to clean up my devices and I’ve followed these steps but the unconnected devices are still listed after I’ve clicked forget device.

Hmm.  Maybe you need to pull the power to the Gateway and let it start back up and then check to see if the devices' MAC address is still there.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

The Forget Device Function doesn't work.  I even tried rebooting my route.  I have the TG1682G and I'm managing it online using xFi on the Xfinity website with a Chroome Browser.   After rebooting the router, I still see all the devices I tried to "Forget".  I tried clearing all my cookies and refreshing the screen, to sure it wasn't an issue with the memory cache on my browser.  Still all the device info is there.  We are using this router at a vacation rental where we have different guests coming in each week.  The guests come and they have 5-6 smart phones, several lap tops, and sometimes an Xbox or a firestick.  When they leave, I end up with 8-10 devices that I need to forget.  It's only been one week and we already have a huge problem.  When I had Linksys this was a piece of cake they have a function called "Sweep" that would allow me to clear all the devices.  They haslo had a way to prioritize devices so that my thermostats got priority over the Xbox or other devices the guests would bring in.  With xFi there's no way so successfuly manage this environment.  My current opinion is that xFi is very inferior to Linksys.  I have called Xfinity Tech support and talked to the top people, but they can't help.  I  think we will return the equipment and go back to Linksys.

New Poster

I’ve tried all this and it still says I need to remove it from my home network and won’t let me “forget”. What next?
Silver Problem Solver

@Olivertwist7 wrote:
I’ve tried all this and it still says I need to remove it from my home network and won’t let me “forget”. What next?

If the About link says it is connected, there is no way to forget it.  My PC appears twice, one with an old IP address and the other with the new IP address.  I have not found a way to remove the device that has the old IP address because it says it is connected.

Official Employee

Olivertwist7, thanks for your inquiry about removing a device from the network! In order to remove a device from xFi, it must disconnect from the network first. Once the device is registered as not connected via xFi, you can tap the device MAC address/name and remove the device from xFi that way. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem.  I have no idea what device it is.  Just says Android Device running Nougat 7.0.  I blocked it but can not "forget" it - says I have to disconnect it from my home network.  No idea what it is or who it is.  All my devices are accounted for.  Isn't there a way to force it?

Official Employee

yeti49, thanks for posting on the forums! The device needs to disconnect from the network in order for the option to forget the device to appear in xFi. Try changing your SSID password. That will disconnect all devices that are connected to the network and allow you to forget the mystery device. 

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I have an old phone I wish to remove from my network. I was able to pause the device.   Nothing happens when forget device is selected. 

Official Employee

P_G, the old phone has to disconnect from the network to forget it. Were you able to get it to disconnect?

Ken

Regular Visitor

Old phone has been disconnected , restored and is off. Still shows connected to my network.
Silver Problem Solver

@P_G wrote:
Old phone has been disconnected , restored and is off. Still shows connected to my network.

Does this help?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/manage-wifi-devices-my-account

Regular Visitor

Services tab ? No services tab.
Have an internet tab. Home hotspot is and has been “ off”
Silver Problem Solver

@P_G wrote:
Services tab ? No services tab.
Have an internet tab. Home hotspot is and has been “ off”

There is a Services tab in the black at the top of My Account.

Regular Visitor

Sorry you apparently have a different view on your device. All mine says is “Overview “ which leads me to TV, Internet, Voice and More. I’ve searched thru those and my hotspot is off.
If I log into the XFI app I can see connected devices. It still lists as connected the phone that was replaced and restored to factory settings. The forget button is visible but nothing happens. It still says it needs to be disconnected.
New Poster

I had the same problem, a device listed as connected even though it was sitting in front of me on my desk disconnected from everything.  The xFi app kept telling me it could not forget it since it thought it was still connected.  So, I followed these steps:

1. I went to the list of devices and paused everything except the pc I was working on and the device I wanted to forget.  This might not be necessary, but I didn't want my good devices trying to log in while I was working.
  2. I changed my Gateway password.
  3. I restarted my Gateway.
  4. After connecting my pc to the network with the new password, I went to the list of devices.  The device I wanted to forget was listed as disconnected.  So, I forgot it.
  5. I changed my Gateway password back to the original one.
  6. I restarted my Gateway once more.
  7. After connecting my pc with the original password, I went to the list of devices and unpaused everything.  The unwanted device was gone, and all of my wanted devices reconnected automatically.

The whole process took about 30-40 minutes.  

Regular Visitor

Thx I’ll try it!