Port forward uses old IP address

Highlighted
Contributor

Port forward uses old IP address

-Port forwarding worked fine to my computer with static IP address

-Moved wireless NIC to different computer,  with different static IP address

-deleted port forward in poopy xfi webpage

-deleted old device in poopy xfi webpage

-found new device in poopy xfi webpage and defined it (name & type)

-Details shows the correct IP address

-Add port forward to new device, manually define desired port

-Definition that was created, shows "No associated device" and uses old IP address.

How do I fix this? 2 hours on the phone with Comcast tech support and they:

-Set my gateway to bridged mode (took my network down for an hour until they figured that out)

-Sent me instructions on how to create a port forward (clearly because I had an existing port forward, I must not know how to create one...)

-Ended the call by saying port forwards can only be created to DHCP addresses, and since my server uses a static address (because WHY would I ever want a static address on my server?!) I could not set up a port forward to it, even though I had a port forward configured to a static IP before all this started.

So, anyone have any answers on how to get the rented modem to clear the associated IP from the mac address of my wireless nic. Because clearly that is what is going on. I said that to the techs, but I might as well have been talking Martian for all they understood.

Problem Solver

Re: Port forward uses old IP address

What make/model modem/router devices do you have?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Contributor

Model: TG3482G
Vendor: ARRIS Group, Inc.
Hardware Revision: 11

No other routers, though at this point I'm thinking I'll be better off going back to my own gateway.
Contributor

Firmware version: TG3482_3.0p24s1_PROD_sey

Additional steps I've now taken:

-Deleted the port forward to the old ip address

-Shut down the system I was trying to forward to

-restarted the modem

-Booted the system I'm trying to forward to.

The system does not show as a connected device, even though I am RDP'd to it and can ping the modem.

Contributor

Now, when I select Port Forward, it only shows the list of devices NOT connected to the network.

Can this feature be any more broken?? Third graders could program this better using LOGO!

Contributor

I changed the dhcp on the modem to a single address.

I changed it back to the full subnet.

This seemed to have reassigned the reserved IP addresses.

Once the new system showed up again (took about 10 minutes of pinging the modem for it to recognize it was online) I was able to define the system

I then successfully created the port forward with the correct IP address.

There's 5 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Best solution: bridge the modem and get a real router and WAP.

Official Employee

Hi @ddunhom, we're sorry to hear you were having such trouble. Would you be willing to troubleshoot with us as to what happened on your Port Forward?  I'd like to We could take a look at your account logs to research what happened. May you Private Message me the first and last name of the account holder and the billing zip code for verification? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I am having the same issue.  It seems the tool is using a cached value of the ip address that is stored indefinitely.  As a result, after that ip change, when you try to create port forward rule by selecting the device (sadly the only way to do it), it creates the rule using the old/wrong ip address.

I've tried to explain this to several support agents but they keep giving me (incorrect) scripted answers on how to create a port forward rule.  Or they tell me that I need to hard reset my router.  I would bet the hard reset would likely fix it, but that would loose all my confiruations as well like the ip address that I wanted it to use.  So that's like cutting off my arm due to a hangnail that I wanted to remove.

For some reason they were all unwilling to open a bug report to have it investigated and resolved.

Yes I am willing to further troubleshoot to get this resolved.

Problem Solver

Did you try what @ddunhom did and marked as 'answered'?
Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
New Poster

I did see that thanks.  But I'd rather work with development to get it fixed instead of everyone having to do PITA workarounds.

New Poster

So are ANY comcast employees going to address this?  Again I've tried with telephone and chat support and that was pointless as they refused to deviate from their predefined scripts.

Official Employee

@sbrady373, apologies for the delayed response. If you would like to send me a PM with the device MAC address and info on the IP addresses (cached and new), we can look into this. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!