Community Forum

Pods drop VoIP Calls when Handing Off

Frequent Visitor

Pods drop VoIP Calls when Handing Off

I have seen the thread on WiFi calling related to this subject, but it is locked. My issues are not limited to WiFi calling. I also experience failures using FaceTime, Skype, Hangouts, WebEx etc.  Most of the responses in the other post were private messages. Is there any real news on how this problem will be addressed?

Official Employee

Re: Pods drop VoIP Calls when Handing Off

wjfarrell -- We're looking into each report individually.  Can you please send me a Private Message & provide the following information? You can send a Private Message by clicking on my username "ComcastRachelH" & then on the blue "Send a Message" button from my profile. Thanks!

Timestamps when you have experienced the dropped calls.

To get the MAC addresses of the device(s) being used --
1. Go to the Devices section of the Xfinity xFi app.
2. Select a device in the list, and then select Device Details.

To get the CM MAC address of your Gateway --
1. Go to the Network section of the Xfinity xFi app.
2. Select your Gateway in the list, and then select Gateway Details.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I provided the information requested the next day and never heard anything.  Is anyone looking at this? Are there any updates? I am still experiencing the problem.

Official Employee

wjfarrell -- I apologize for the delay.  I received the information you shared via PM & relayed that with engineering to troubleshoot. I'll reach out when I have more information.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

wjfarrell -- Would you be able to retest now & let us know the outcome?

Frequent Visitor

I am still experiencing the drop issue when moving from pod to pod.

Official Employee

wjfarrell -- Can you provide additional timestamps of when you experienced the dropped calls?

Frequent Visitor

March 25, 2019 - 4:02 PM EST

March 25, 2019 - 4:32 PM EST

Official Employee

Looking at the timestamps provided, we can see the iPhone bounce around from Pod to Pod. Can you confirm a few things:
- At the timestamps provided, which app were you using?
- Were you walking around when you experienced the dropped calls?
- Are the wifi calling settings on your device set to go to cell data when disconnected?

Frequent Visitor

- At the timestamps provided, which app were you using?

I experience this issue with cell phone calls (WiFi calling is enabled), Skype, Skype for Business, FaceTime, and WebEx.

- Were you walking around when you experienced the dropped calls?

Yes, from my office to the kitchen.

- Are the wifi calling settings on your device set to go to cell data when disconnected?

Yes, they are.

Official Employee

Can you change the wifi calling settings on your device -- set them to not go to cell data when disconnected?  Once you have changed the setting, can you try again and let us know the results?

Frequent Visitor

That didnt help - same issue.

Official Employee

Thanks for retesting - can you provide a timestamp that you tried again with the settings changed?

Additionally, do you only experience this with the iPhone 6S that you Privated Messaged me about?  Have you ever experienced this using another device?  Do you have any other devices that you could use to test?  (If so, timestamps of when you test would be very helpful!)

New Poster

Hello. I have the same issue, i.e. XFI pods are not handing off the connection when moving around my house. This problem happens whenever I am on a call using Viber, watching a video on Youtube, or browsing the Web or the social network. Basically, it happens whenever I am on WiFi and moving from one pod to the next.

It defeats the purpose of a mesh network and it's quite annoying. What is the solution to this problem which a lot of people seem to encounter?

Thanks in advance

Official Employee

wjfarrell -- Just circling back with you on the above questions - are you able to provide any additional timestamps of the issue once youretested with the settings changed? Do you only experience this with the iPhone 6S that you Privated Messaged me about?  Have you ever experienced this using another device?  Do you have any other devices that you could use to test?  (If so, timestamps of when you test would be very helpful.)

Additionally, I've continued to work with engineering to look into your account - they are asking they you try and relocate the Kitchen Pod closer to your Gateway and retest.  

Official Employee

fjamar -- Thank you for reaching out -- we are looking into each report individually.  Can you please send me a Private Message & provide the following information? You can send a Private Message by clicking on my username "ComcastRachelH" & then on the blue "Send a Message" button from my profile. Thanks!

Timestamps when you have experienced the dropped calls, including the MAC address of the device you are using, as well as the app you are using at that time -- 

To get the MAC addresses of the device(s) being used -- 
1. Go to the Devices section of the Xfinity xFi app.
2. Select a device in the list, and then select Device Details.

To get the CM MAC address of your Gateway --
1. Go to the Network section of the Xfinity xFi app.
2. Select your Gateway in the list, and then select Gateway Details.

Additionally, could you please provide details about the wifi calling settings you have set up on your device - are the wifi calling settings on your device set to go to cell data when disconnected?  Do you only experience this issue on specific devices?

Frequent Visitor

I do experience the issue with an iPad, a Windows 10 laptop and a MacBook Pro as well. Is there any chance that adding 3 additional pods would help? At the time of installation, I was told by the Comacast tech that there were problems with configurations involving 6 pods. Is that worth a try at this point?

Official Employee

wjfarrell -- 

If possible, could you confirm the MAC Addresses of the other devices that you listed (iPad, a Windows 10 laptop and a MacBook Pro)?

I can relay your questions.  In the meantime, Engineering is asking that you try relocating that Kitchen Pod closer to the Gateway.  Once you have,  could you try retesting & provide a timestamp -- that way, they'll be able to take a look on our end & provide additional guidance. 

Frequent Visitor

iPad 64:20:0C:28:7A:44

Windows F6-8C-50-AA-B5-36

My daughter moved out with the MacBook.

What about the possibility that the three pods are not providing sufficient coverage? Would three more help?

Official Employee

We don't want to introduce 3 more Pods until we try all troubleshooting with the Pods you currently have - have you tried relocating the Kitchen Pod?  Can you provide a timestamp retesting once you have?

Official Employee

wjfarrell - 

Circling back to see if you have tried relocating the Kitchen Pod?  Can you provide a timestamp retesting if so?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have tried relocating the kitchen pod without any luck. As a matter of fact, the dropouts happened even more frequently. I had to put it back. While pods have extended the range of my WiFi, the coverage is not consistent.

We have been looking at this for almost one month and I feel like we are no closer to a resolution. I don't have enough spare time to continue logging the failures.  I know I am not the only one experiencing these problems. Are there any plans to upgrade firmware and/or hardware to make the mesh network function properly?