Community Forum

Parental Controls can be easily bypassed by VPN

Highlighted
New Poster

Parental Controls can be easily bypassed by VPN

I have parental controls set up on each one of my child's devices.   My child has installed SetupVPN - Lifetime Free VPN which has been added to Chrome.  I have checked this computer and when the vpn is turned on all websites are visable!  I am paying extra for this service and was told as long as I secured the device on my network it would be protected.  I am very disappointed!  

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Parental Controls can be easily bypassed by VPN

@rsketel wrote:

I have parental controls set up on each one of my child's devices.   My child has installed SetupVPN - Lifetime Free VPN which has been added to Chrome.  I have checked this computer and when the vpn is turned on all websites are visable!  I am paying extra for this service and was told as long as I secured the device on my network it would be protected.  I am very disappointed!  

I have had to warn my children that if they install ANYTHING on our computers without our permission, they lose the priviledge.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I support consequences for doing this but I am paying for security/modem/router that is not giving me the security that I was told it would...I had to give up my router/modem that was much faster and had further reach. I am not paying more for and getting less.  I am very disappointed.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@rsketel wrote:

I support consequences for doing this but I am paying for security/modem/router that is not giving me the security that I was told it would...I had to give up my router/modem that was much faster and had further reach. I am not paying more for and getting less.  I am very disappointed.

I wonder if you could use the Advanced Secuirty option which costs more:

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-advanced-security?pc=1

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote: ... I wonder if you could use the Advanced Secuirty option which costs more ...

It would not help. Traffic in a non-Comcast VPN connection is not visible to Comcast's systems, no matter how much you pay them for it.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@BruceW wrote:

@RobertWy wrote: ... I wonder if you could use the Advanced Secuirty option which costs more ...

It would not help. Traffic in a non-Comcast VPN connection is not visible to Comcast's systems, no matter how much you pay them for it.

Sounds like the only option is to change the device security so that only authorized users can install a VPN.

Highlighted
New Poster

Apologies if this comes off as sarcastic, but the substance of your issue boils down to your child's awareness of how to secure their privacy online via a VPN that is working as a VPN should. Additionally, if you want to use server-side firewalls or security tools, don't buy them from your ISP- and don't accept them free of charge either. 

There are ways to outsmart your kid, but not through the xFi app (and the gateway doesn't afford you much control, either).