Community Forum

Parental Control

New Poster

Parental Control

I recently added keywords under Parental Control. I see in reports sites blocked with those words but at times no one is home or online.  Is it email that is being blocked from coming in or does the system check if the words are being blocked?  I stopped the xfinity hotspot so a neighbor couldn't be accessing.  I don't see any devices listed except those in our house.  If I go to a report for managed devices, nothing comes up.  Thank you for your insight.

New Poster

Re: Parental Control

I have the same situation.  I set up some key words to test out the Parental Controls and then viewed the reports expecting to see nothing really come up on the reports as nobody in the house was using the internet.  However, the reports do show site blocks based on the key words I entered at all times of the day.  The blocks come through when there is no one home and/or everyone is sleeping.  I am trying to narrow it down to a specific device  or devices.  Then once I do that, maybe pinpoint an application running in the background that could be pushing data out and hitting up against the parental keyword controls?  Anyone else experience this?

New Poster

Thank you.  I’ve even tried innocuous words with same results at times and no one home. I turned xfi hotspot off and still see blocked sites.  However, I can’t figure out what devices are involved since report doesn’t show it and at any time 8 devices are on and not being used by someone.  Please update if you find anything out. 

Official Employee

Hi All, are you accessing internet parental control via the xFi app or via 10.0.0.1? 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I access via 10.0.0.1
Official Employee

I access via 10.0.0.1

Thanks. Are you using a Comcast modem? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Yes

@ComcastKenF wrote:
I access via 10.0.0.1

Thanks. Are you using a Comcast modem? 

Official Employee

Cool. Is your home broadcasting an XFINITY or xfinitywifi hotspot?

New Poster

Xfinity
Official Employee

Thanks for confirming this information! Also for troubleshooting purposes, did you happen to set up a time schedule for these Blocked Keywords? 

New Poster

No. They’re on every day, all day.
Official Employee

Ok and are these computers being left on 24/7? Sometimes, information can be sent out in the background without you knowing it.