Community Forum

Own modem with xFi

New Poster

Own modem with xFi

Greetings,

I live in Fremont, CA and have the Gigabit plan (I only have internet service NO security, TV, phone etc.). I was having a lot of trouble staying under 1TB and had to keep turning off my modem last week of the month to stay within the limit. I was informed by a rep to switch to xFi but will have to pay $15/mo for the switch and will need to receive the modem from Xfinity. I was told that I can continue using my own modem and no need to connect the new one (just leave it unopened in a cupboard). But they have to ship it to me. I just want to not pay the extra $15/mo rental for equipment I am not going to be using.

I hope someone can help remove the $15/mo rental so that I can use my own equipment.

I would also like to double check I will still have unlimited internet when using my own modem (this is what the rep told me on the phone) but want to ensure it is true.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Own modem with xFi

@mindspawn wrote:

Greetings,

I live in Fremont, CA and have the Gigabit plan (I only have internet service NO security, TV, phone etc.). I was having a lot of trouble staying under 1TB and had to keep turning off my modem last week of the month to stay within the limit. I was informed by a rep to switch to xFi but will have to pay $15/mo for the switch and will need to receive the modem from Xfinity. I was told that I can continue using my own modem and no need to connect the new one (just leave it unopened in a cupboard). But they have to ship it to me. I just want to not pay the extra $15/mo rental for equipment I am not going to be using.

I hope someone can help remove the $15/mo rental so that I can use my own equipment.

I would also like to double check I will still have unlimited internet when using my own modem (this is what the rep told me on the phone) but want to ensure it is true.

xFi only works with Comcast Gateways.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-overview

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hello, mindspawn. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums. 

I'm glad you reached out to us regarding your concerns with the Xfi Advantage program. In order to use all features associated with this program, a customer will need to have and use a leased xFi gateway. This program in your area does not include unlimited data, so this may not be the best option for what it sounds like you are looking for. I would be more than happy to look over your account and the available services in your area to see if we can find a service plan that better fits your needs. Please send me a private message with your first and last name so I can assist. 

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the reply. I just called retention dept again and they assured me that I will get unlimited data after checking my address. They told me most reps are not aware of this since it was started in my area just 3 days ago. They also assured me I can use my own modem since I do not have any other serviced. I am so confused whom to believe.

Official Employee

While the xFi Advantage Program is indeed new to your area, the included features do vary from other regions. Different versions of the xFi Advantage package are being tested in different markets. In the end, our goal is to offer the best products and features in the most attractive packages we can.
The leased gateway is required because xFi Advantage uses the xFi app to monitor and manage your internet services which you can read more about here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-overview. Third-party routers/modems do not support xFi.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I understand having a different collection of features at different prices to satisfy specific markets.  The issue here is for $15 some regions get unlimted data with thier modem rental, while others have to pay $50 to add unlimited.  This isn't a small difference to make a package fit a market. The Central region sales site even says you get $65 of features for $15.  In the West region you get $65 of features for $65.

Official Employee

I absolutely understand your frustration with this and I will be sure to forward your feedback to be taken into consideration for the future of this program.

Official Employee

mindspawn, as I have not heard back from you in some time, I have closed this thread to further comments. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.