Community Forum

OutOfService signal vice xfinitywifi

New Poster

OutOfService signal vice xfinitywifi

New gig modem installed.  The 2.4G and 5G signals working, but don't see the xfinitywifi.  But I see something called OutOfService. Tech came out and replaced the unit; same problem.  Techs on the phone unable to provide any help.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: OutOfService signal vice xfinitywifi

@Mgforte wrote:

New gig modem installed.  The 2.4G and 5G signals working, but don't see the xfinitywifi.  But I see something called OutOfService. Tech came out and replaced the unit; same problem.  Techs on the phone unable to provide any help.

Does this help?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the feedback.  Everything that is mentioned in the article has been performed.  The hotspot was set to enabled; set the switch off; waited 24 hours, still get the OutOfService.  Turned it back on; wiated 24 hours, still get OutOfService.  When I go over to the neighbors houses who have the gig service, they have the xfinitywifi signal.  I don't think it's the unit (2nd unit installed) and the phone techs don't seem to understand the problem!

Frequent Visitor

I've just had my XB6 Xfinity Router installed a few days ago. I also have the identical problem. Comcast has refused to explain what these two (OutOfService) SSID Networks are. They blamed it on my neighbor who has VZ. I had to laugh & hang up on Tech Support. I've read that if you (Reset) the XB6 back to (Factory) settings, the (OutOfService) Networks might disappear. My XB6 is broadcasting my regular 2.4 and 5G band SSID's, but still with 2 Out Of Service SSID's - One of them is (Unlocked) and one is (Locked). Total of 4 coming from my XB6. Are you still having this problem?

I have contacted Comcast Corporate and I am waiting on some answers on these OOS SSID's.
New Poster

I am having the same problem. I am broadcasting an "OutOfService" SSID. Does anyone have a resolution? 

Frequent Visitor

**UPDATE**  The only way to stop these SSID Networks (OutOfService) is to perform a (Factory Reset) on the XB6 Gateway. If your seeing the network "Out Of Service"  it means your XB6 was not refurbished/deprovisioned properly before it was added to your account. You can check on the back of your XB6 Gateway for the small "Reset" button. You may try to Reset your XB6 by holding it in for (30) seconds with a "Paperhook or Pen". You will then be required to "Rename" your Wifi Nerworks after you perform the Factory Reset. If your XB6 Gateway has this method blocked, or nothing happens when you try to Reset on the back of the XB6, it means that the physical "Reset Button" on the XB6 has been disabled. You will then have to contact Comcast Internet Support by phone & have them perform the (Factory Reset) on your XB6. If all fails, you can try perform the "Factory Reset" via the 10.0.0.1 route, but only advanced users should try this method. Comcast might have no clue about these OUT OF  SERVICE Wifi Networks if you call, but either way -- Try the Factory Reset, it should clear up your problem. I hope this helps many people that are having this same problem. 

New Poster

The factory reset was done on my modem but "outofservice " came back overnight.
Silver Problem Solver

@ackhome wrote:

Have you looked at your Service Status?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/status/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

If your OOS networks came back overnight, you should get a new XB6 Gateway. I would try one more reset before swapping your XB6 out. It's a Provisioning problem within the XB6 Gateway.
Official Employee

ackhome, Thanks for posting! I'd be happy to confirm your wifi is broadcasting publicly and fix any provisioning issues on the back end. Please send me a private message with your full name for help!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@ComcastKenF

I'm having this same challenge, can you help? Couldn't figure out how to DM you
Silver Problem Solver

On the XB6. I'm broadcasting the OutOfService SSID too. It's on 2.4GHz with WPA2-EAP security.

I'm broadcasting the xfinitywfi hotspots on both bands.

I'm broadcasting the XFINITY secure hotspot on 5GHz with WPA2-EAP security.

I'm guessing the OutOfService SSID is the 2.4 version of the XFINITY secure hotspot, that's 'erm out of service.

There are other hidden SSID's eminating from the gateway, (two of those could be for Xfinity Home) as well as my private network. None of this appears to effect my private network wireless connections

Frequent Visitor

It shouldn't effect your overall performance, but if your broadcasting a total of (4) networks, Hidden, OOS, or not, it's not a good thing. Your best bet is to actually Call In to Comcasts' Tier 2 Level Support Team. The XB6 took ME a week to fix, without any help from Comcast. Additionally, nor from a New Gateway. It's a Provisioning Problem within the Router/Gateway backend. Good Luck!
Silver Problem Solver

Doesn't really bother me, just sharing what I'm seeing. I don't really need hotspots at my home and can always switch them off in the account settings if I need to.

Regular Contributor

I have the same thing going on. Same modem but on my MacBook Pro I can see both bands, plus out of service and two hotspots. I know I shut the hotspots off a while ago but somehow they came back on. Probably after an update to the modem. How do I shut the hotspot again? I looked in my xfi mobile app but don’t see how.  I’m curious about the out of service. On my iOS devices, I see both bands plus the hotspots but no out of service. Everything has a lock except one of the hotspots. I don’t think a reset helps so I’m not doing it. 

Additionally I did find where to shut off the hotspots but is says “disabled” so something is going on since they’re enabled. My neighbor lives very far away. I couldn’t possibly be picking up their hotspots.
Silver Problem Solver

You can disable the hotspot/s in the "My Account" app under internet and then selecting your home network, should see the option there. Or by logging into your "My Account" and browsing to settings/internet.

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/services/internet

(guess you found it, you could try enabling/disabling again). Try turning off the gateway, then look on your phone see if the hotspot disappears. If it is still there it's a neighbors.

Regular Contributor

Thank you yes I found it. But as I mentioned it showed disabled. I enabled it, waited a minute then disabled it. After rebooting my Mac the only thing I see broadcasting are my two bands which is how I want it. The out of service is gone also. My iOS devices are good too. I’ve seen other posters wondering if it was from their Xfinity Home service. I have that too but it’s all good now. Could be, who knows but an answer to the phantom out of service would be good at some point.
Silver Problem Solver

Of course the easiest way to tell what is eminating from the gateway is to download an app to look at the surrounding wireless.

The mac address will differ by one or two digiits from your private network mac. It will be around the same power level and on the same channels as your own network.

Regular Contributor

My post was not clear about the steps. The last thing that I know did anyting was the public hotspot toggle in my account which seems to restart something in the gateway (probbaly just WiFI since at no time did I loose conectivity to the Internet with my ethernet connected iMac at any point except when I rebooted it with the Xfi app) and since WiFi gets reset all the pods have to go offline and reconect also. 

Next time this happens I will try the toggle first but it may just be that you need to do a restart before that???

Regular Contributor

@silverblaze wrote:
It shouldn't effect your overall performance, but if your broadcasting a total of (4) networks, Hidden, OOS, or not, it's not a good thing. Your best bet is to actually Call In to Comcasts' Tier 2 Level Support Team. The XB6 took ME a week to fix, without any help from Comcast. Additionally, nor from a New Gateway. It's a Provisioning Problem within the Router/Gateway backend. Good Luck!

Just FYI for me when the gateway starts acting up like this (have had it happen 4-5 times in the past year) things like IPv6, the power on and on-line wireless surveys that the gateay performes are degraded and act really stupid choosing channels where there are obvious conflicts. Once resollved and the OoS goes away things work again, are much faster and I don't seem to have the DNS lookup delays when the OoS is present. My devices act better and weirdness with Google Play Store and Apple App store seem to go away. when I start seeing all those things I almost always see the OoS SSID. I suspect that it is a cry for help from the XB6???

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@ackhome wrote:

Have you looked at your Service Status?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/status/

You again! Everything is ALWAYS all green dots when this issue is happening. It's not a "service" issue it's a provisioning and/or bug/feature problem on the individual Xb6. Would be interesting to take note of what flavor of Xb6 folks with this issue have. I suspect that they are all Technicolors as I originally had a Arris which was trouble free but then a tech swapped for a very noisy Technicolor when they were trying to onboard my Home system on the Xb6 (4 techs. have tried and failed to do that so I just keep my legacy Netgear). I got rid of that one in less than a day and went back to Arris. No problems. Then I had a bunch of issues with pods that required both a pod and gateway complete swap (but turns out that it was unnessesary as Comcast had a major software glitch releated to a software patch that broke all the AI they use for pods). That issue went on for weeks/months. During that decided to try a Technicolor as it was all the store had and it is quiet and works well with the battery but since then EVERY time I have a power bump the phantom OoS and sometimes public hot spot show back up.

Regular Contributor

@ackhome wrote:

Then it was NOT a full factory reset. Doing so requires a particular choice in the troubleshooting on the gaeway interface and or a particular paper clip reset sequence in order to full excersice the demons. I had to use the paper clip method once or twice. I did both last time this came up but don't remenber in what order. If I were to do it again I would do one from the interface, then one with the paperclip then another from the interface just for good measure as I don't fully trust the paperclip method as it is more of a password recovery/reset thing on most gateways.

Silver Problem Solver

Anyway, I disabled the hotspots in the account. The OutOfService SSID disappeared, along with the three hotspots I was broadcasting. No resetting or anything else required

There are still a number of hidden SSID's on both bands.(5 o 6 fluctuates). As well as Xfinity Home service, perhaps these are used with Pods.

Regular Contributor

@Paraniod wrote:

Anyway, I disabled the hotspots in the account. The OutOfService SSID disappeared, along with the three hotspots I was broadcasting. No resetting or anything else required

There are still a number of hidden SSID's on both bands.(5 o 6 fluctuates). As well as Xfinity Home service, perhaps these are used with Pods.

There have always been a number of hidden SSIDs. I have sometimes dozens of them. I suspect they are used for the things that folks have mentioned and more; Home, pods, Mobile, and a myriad of things that this gateway supports; Zigbee, Zwave, BT, wireless phones, and who knows what else. Also I have noticed that many of my wireless connected devices that support casting, AirPlay, DLNA,UPnP tend to also create hidden SSIDs for some reason. My TV does it also. I think it has to do with the way those services are advertised. They don't affect the bandwidth on the air since they are not beaconing but of course use up tme slices on the wireless (and bandwidth) when they are operating. I still suspect that the OoS is a cry from help from the gateway that someting is wron. I have yet to see the octet that broadcasts OoS show up on my hidden SSIDs so it   isn't something notrmal. The octets for the public hotspots (when I have seen them) are entirely different and last night before I fixed it there were two of those and the OoS. I had read a while back that ususlly when you see this it is supposed to be a Comcast outdoor public hotspot that is offline but that article may have been incorrect and it's actually a gateway in a home enabled for hot spot that is having trouble. Has anyone attempted to actually conect to XfinityWiFi or the encrypted one while the OoS is happening? Would be tough to do since you are not allowed to connect to your own and have to use other credentials but I wonder if sub accounts on your account can connect? Anyhow that is a protection to prevent you from bypassig your data cap.

Frequent Visitor

@Mr_Kludge<br>This is correct. When my XB6 insisted on broadcasting (2) OoS Networks, one was wide open and one was Locked. Before I shut down those OoS Networks my XB6 acted strange. I also had trouble with Google Play Services, The XB6 could not find the best "Auto" Channel for my 2.4 and 5g bands. I was not getting anywhere near my Provisioned Speed of 986MB DL. Even though the correct boot file firmware was "allegedly" Provisioned properly. After I was able to Permanently remove those (2) OoS Networks from broadcasting, I was getting close to the boot-file speed of 986MB. (Gigabit) However, these new XB6 Gateways block many settings via the 10.0.0.1 method, and the Xfinity Xfi App is useless, it's easier for Comcast to throw that flimsy App at us. The XB6 does not choose the correct WiFi Channels for 2.4 and 5 bands. (Auto Selection Horrible) as the XB6 Gateway has more problems then picking up the correct WiFi Channels in your neighborhood. The OoS Networks degraded speed on my regular bands, before the shut-down. I could barely get 18MB DL speeds on ALL of my devices. The sooner Comcast addresses this problem, The better. The reason I suggest calling into Comcast's Tier 2 dept. is so they get enough complaints to fix the XB6 Provisioning problems immediately. If nobody complains, consistently, Comcast will continue to send unnecessary technicians to your home while charging big bucks! It seems as though everyone here is having the same issue with these annoying OoS Networks, and WE should not be fixing it. Comcast SHOULD be up to "Par" in their NOC/Provisioning Department.
Silver Problem Solver

What is new to me is the fact that they have introduced the secure XFINITY hotspots to the XB6. (not sure if they are also on the XB3's). They have had the open xfinitywifi hotspots and the hidden SSID's on their gateways for a while now.  Seems obvious to me that the OutOfService SSID's are merely hotspots that are out of service. (for whatever reason).

This doesn't cause my network to slow down, in fact I like the XB6 performance and since I use the hotspots when out and about, it encourages me to keep them enabled.

They have always dumbed down the settings in their gateways, (the pods if you use them, take even more control away) if you don't like it, you are free to buy your own devices. (may even save money).

Edit. The supposed solution above, the factory reset doesn't work for me. I'm now broadcasting two OutOfService SSID's, one on each band. Selecting them brings up the security cert used with the secure XFINITY hotspots. Also I am in range of other gateways broadcasting the same thing.

Still, not a problem for me. I'm still guessing they are having problems with the secure XFINITY hotspots.

New Poster

Mine is doing the exact same thing.  Had is for a total of an hour.  You guys need to fix this, or I'll be cancelling very shortly.  I was already going to, but decided to give this xb6 a chance.  It keeps dropping signal.  It's broadcasting mulitple OOS freqs.  This is RIDICULOUS

Official Employee

xeusao, thanks for letting us know about the issues with your XB6. Apologies for the inconvenience. We'd hate to see you go! I'm happy to get to the bottom of this for you. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@xeusao wrote:

Mine is doing the exact same thing.  Had is for a total of an hour.  You guys need to fix this, or I'll be cancelling very shortly.  I was already going to, but decided to give this xb6 a chance.  It keeps dropping signal.  It's broadcasting mulitple OOS freqs.  This is RIDICULOUS

Did it happen to start after a power outage? Last 2 times for me that has been the case. We did have a minor drop the other day and thankfully it did not come back. Try the public hotspot toggle. That will usually clear it but for me I had to completly re-do everything. I paperclipped the xB6 then did a wipe through the interface then another paper clip after that. I decommissioned all my pods before that and everything has been dandy since. After a few days/weeks even the issues I was having with my phone went away. Stll the system chooses stupid channels but I've learned to live with it. If I need ultra high bandwidth approaching GigE and I'm not near the xB6 I just swithch over to my Apple network and get almost full speed in most of my house.

Frequent Visitor

Deleted duplicate post

Regular Contributor

For a quick fix toggle the public hotspot setting in your account on the off and on again. If after a time that does not fix it you have to revert your modem to factory. When I do it i pinhole reset it, then reset from admin interface then pinhole again. Only one of those may be sufficient. This is an onboardijg/ provisioning mistake or big that often happens if you don't have your modem 100% fresh at the start. I haven't had it come back after multiple power failures, fiber cuts, outages both plannned and unplanned for months now once i followed those procedures.
New Poster

I just recently (a few days) switched to xfinity. I also have these OutofService SSIDs, and my wifi is pretty unstable. Performance drops all the way down to 1Mb/s up and down periodically, streaming video stalls etc. 

A bit loath to go the factory reset route on my own just yet ... especially if someone from Comcast can provide me a better fix.

Regular Contributor

Factory reset is you only friend here. It's the quickest fix. This should have been done before install by you or the tech that installed. Manifests when you inherit a gateway that was priviously deployed. Still you may need to request a new one if this does not help. Try to stick with the Technicolor version of the xb6. The aaris version is older and prone to problems. Most of the technicolors have noise fans though. If you find a good one with a quiet fan stick with it. Of you call a tech out or call Comcast they will just send you another gateway which may or may not solve the problem. I factory reset the heck out of any gateway before onboarding now.