Community Forum

New xFi Pods and impact to speed

Regular Visitor

New xFi Pods and impact to speed

I was pretty excited to receive the new xFi Pods. I ordered 3 for $119, and they finallly arrived. (Tip: for those ordering, be sure you receive a confirmation number and take a picture. No guarantee that an email will be sent).  Installation was easy, took 15 minutes.

Issues I am running into...

1. Literature and FAQs did tell me that Pods extended coverage, but do not increase speed.  But I am experiencing slower speeds now, even though my coverage throughout the house is better. I’m leaning toward returning the Pods because I need fast coverage for all of the devices we have. Any suggestions before I make a return to the Xfinity store?

2. I’ve moved the Pods around the house, just to see if location makes an improvement. I use the xFi app everyday, but can’t drill in to evaluate Pod performance (or rename them). Is there a website that I don’t know about that allows you to manage Pods?

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Re: New xFi Pods and impact to speed

You have stated everything that I am experiencing, thank you. I lost the ability to manually choose my channel and the pods do that now...and they are really bad at it after a week they are always on congested channels and they are choosing high channels instead of the lower channels for 5Ghz. Additionally it appears my 2.4Ghz is off completely so my top speed on my 1GB connection is 375Mbps where it used to be over 700Mbps.

Additionally, when I do speed tests at the primary stationary PC I use in my office, where I was getting over 700 Mbps, I now get around 75-97Mbps.

I'm at a total loss as to what these things are doing...it's not to improve expereince. I may send mine back as well as a failed experiment. I guess if you have really poor coverage then this would certainly improve it but in my case, it was way better before I added these.

Silver Problem Solver

@neg12roni wrote:

You have stated everything that I am experiencing, thank you. I lost the ability to manually choose my channel and the pods do that now...and they are really bad at it after a week they are always on congested channels and they are choosing high channels instead of the lower channels for 5Ghz. Additionally it appears my 2.4Ghz is off completely so my top speed on my 1GB connection is 375Mbps where it used to be over 700Mbps.

Additionally, when I do speed tests at the primary stationary PC I use in my office, where I was getting over 700 Mbps, I now get around 75-97Mbps.

I'm at a total loss as to what these things are doing...it's not to improve expereince. I may send mine back as well as a failed experiment. I guess if you have really poor coverage then this would certainly improve it but in my case, it was way better before I added these.

I don't have the pods; I have Orbi.  It puts both bands under the same SSID and then provices the correct band to each device; my wifi printer is an example of a 2.4 device and it works just fine.

I could be wrong, but I believe that is a feature with mesh networks.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Expert

For a mesh network like the xFi Pod to work well, they must all connect directly to the gateway. If a Pod has to connect to another Pod in order to connect to the gateway, then your speed will definitely be impacted. Try positioning the gateway in a central location to maximize speed.

Also, if speed is a priority, then I absolutely do not recommend wireless as it's subject to all sorts of interference - use wired solutions like Ethernet, Powerline, or MoCA. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

brice60 -- 

Thanks for reaching out! Some suggestions – In addition to placing your Gateway in the most central location of the home, your first Pod should be placed at least one room away from your Gateway (within approximately 20 – 30 feet) and the remaining Pods should be evenly spaced throughout the home. To ensure the best signal, Pods should be visible and not blocked by furniture or other large objects.

You can check your Pod connection status from the xFi mobile app or online at xfinity.com/myxfi. Simply visit the Network section to see if any of your Pods have a Poor connection status. If any are listed as Poor, you’ll also see a link to troubleshooting steps. If your Pods have a poor connection status, moving the location of the Pods around may help. Additionally, you can select each Pod then select Pod Details to drill down to additional information on the Connection Status.

You also mentioned renaming Pods, which is possible from the xFi mobile app or online at xfinity.com/myxfi. To change the name of an individual Pod, select Network > select the Pod you’d like to rename > select Edit (top right).

If you need to re-identify and re-name all of your Pods, you must do so using the Xfinity xFi app by navigating to Network > Rename all Pods. Note: To use this method, your Pods must be online and you'll also need to have bluetooth enabled on your mobile device.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I’m returning the PODs to Xfinity. Just didn’t work for our home. Wi-Fi coverage was extended throughout the house. That part was good. But I ran into too much interference with other devices, and the PODs slowed down bandwidth throughout the house. Some of my other devices would lose connection (Ex: smart TV, wireless cable box) and TV screen and sound would skip or freeze. Great concept, and I want to add to our home when the kinks are worked out. After 3 weeks of trying different configurations, I’m at a loss and will be returning the PODs today.
Silver Problem Solver

FYI, there are other mesh products that might work for you.  Do a google on mesh networks.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

brice60 -- 

Thanks for taking the time to provide an update & some feedback.  I was able to pull up your account & see you've started the return process for the Pods.  If you change your mind, we're happy to troubleshoot the connectivity issues you mentioned.  

Thanks!

Rachel

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Counterintuitively, one answer might be more pods.  

I tried just three [borrowed from a helpful Comcast person] in a house pretty much designed as a WiFi nightmare and was somewhat underwhelmed.   Undeterred, bought 6 and followed the advice of the local techs and some of the forums here.   

Cheated just a bit and used the NetGear WiFi Analyzer and a phone with both frequencies.  

Located the first pod roughly a room away from the gateway, where the signal was quite strong.

From there, just went around the house and plugged them in where the NetGear indicated a signal that was still strong, but weakening a bit--which also happened to be roughly one room with decent no hard walls spacing and two of them vertically right above the first one. 

Quite impressed, I can now get a strong signal clear to near the borders of the property--strong enough that the smartphones stay on WiFi and never kick over to Cell only.   This was pretty much why I wanted to try the pods as a lower cost, lower heartburn alternative to picking up Cisco wireless repeaters.   

Ordering the pods wasn't exactly as much fun as Army boot camp, but now that they are installed and humming along, very pleased.  

All the computers in the house have Enet to the gateway, where the effective speed of the WiFi is more than sufficient for smartphones, skype calls, etc. 

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastRachelH

I would love to get some help with my pods before I get to the point where I have to return them.

I am pleased with being able to be on 1 network now and my speeds at the far end of the house are manageable.

The problem I am running into is neither my laptop or iPhone have been able to see Skype video since I switched to the pods. Facetime calls frequently freeze and buffer. And regular phone calls, with wifi calling, constantly go in and out.
Official Employee

harkirath --

Thanks for reaching out.  To help troubleshoot, can you please provide some dates & times that you experienced the issues with Skype/Facetime/WiFi calling?

Thanks!

Rachel

Frequent Visitor

@Rachel

Skype issues happened on Tuesday, 5/29, starting around 11AM. I was unable to connect via laptop or iPhone. Eventually I had to take my phone off of WiFi to get Skype video to work.

Regular phone call issues happened yesterday around 6:30pm. The calls constantly lose audio for seconds at a time and sometimes will even drop. The call quality also sounds deteriorated.

All times are pacific time.

Thanks for the help
Official Employee

harkirath --

Thanks for getting back to me.  I passed the info along for our engineering team to investigate.  I've also sent you a Private Message with a few more troubleshooting questions.  Private messages can be accessed by clicking on the envelope icon in the upper right hand corner of any forums page. 

Thanks!

Rachel

New Poster

I agree with the channels and the 2.4 being disabled ... however what could you have to complain about with 700 meg connection that incouraged you to buy these? I'm certain it even says the dont even support very high speed right off the bat.
New Poster

My experience is this: after spending hours on why my internet was lagging even though the signal was strong and speed tests were always good. I figured out that each pod placed should be connecting directly to the router and not tethering from one pod to another. That’s what worked for me.
Silver Problem Solver

@Minosimports wrote:
My experience is this: after spending hours on why my internet was lagging even though the signal was strong and speed tests were always good. I figured out that each pod placed should be connecting directly to the router and not tethering from one pod to another. That’s what worked for me.

I believe that is mentioned somewhere in the installation.

New Poster

To all the people saying 2.4ghz is disabled...it is not. If you had two networks, one named Xfinity 5ghz and one named Xfinity 2.4ghz, they are now combined into one network and the pods pick which band has the best signal for your device.
New Poster

Got pods today. Xfinity modem 274 eithernet, nethear router 5g wifi 92. Pods 50 when standing next to them.
Expert

Old thread closed. Please post subsequent issues requiring support in a new thread.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.