Community Forum

New Gateway - Only One Network

New Poster

New Gateway - Only One Network

Hello,

I recently installed a new gateway amd where i previously had access to a 2ghz and a 5ghz connnection, i now only have one network to choose from. Just like anyone else these days, we have a tremendous amount of devices and equipment requiring internet, and I assume using both networks alleviates some traffic problems,otherwise we run the risk of potentially slowing down connection. So, how do I activate and access both networks?
Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: New Gateway - Only One Network

Pete03 - Thanks for reaching out.  Looks like you now have an Xfinity xFi Gateway. 

xFi Gateways are 'dual band,' meaning that they broadcast two separate radio bands for their WiFi network - a 2.4 GHz band and a 5 GHz band. Historically, you were encouraged to use a different WiFi name and password for each band. You then had to choose which band your devices should connect to. Knowing which would provide the best connection and performance was guesswork.

That’s now changed. With the advanced intelligence of xFi Gateways, using the same name and password for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands allows the Gateway to sort out which one will provide a better connection at any given time. You will still have both bands and all the associated functionality, channels and range. However, by using the same WiFi name and password for both, devices will connect seamlessly to the most optimal band at any given time. This is called 'band steering.'

If you have an xFi Gateway (Arris 1682G, Cisco 3941T, Arris 3482G, Technicolor CGM4140COM, or Arris X5001) you should now use the same WiFi name and password for both your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, so you can take advantage of this seamless connection to the best network.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: New Gateway - Only One Network

Great! Thanks!