Community Forum

My Comcast 5 GHz Networkdoesn't show - only the 2.4. How do I get it to show as a Network selection?

New Poster

My Comcast 5 GHz Networkdoesn't show - only the 2.4. How do I get it to show as a Network selection?

Only one of the Networks shows up as available - the 2.4. How do I get the 5.0 Network to show as available?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: My Comcast 5 GHz Networkdoesn't show - only the 2.4. How do I get it to show as a Network select

I assume the 2.4 and the 5 GHz bands have different SSID names so you can identify them? 

What device are you trying to connect to? A lot of devices, especially many IoT and older computers, don't support 5 GHz bands. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: My Comcast 5 GHz Networkdoesn't show - only the 2.4. How do I get it to show as a Network select

Good day @RDComp, may you please send me a private message with your service address and ZIP as well as a MAC address. Once I get this information, we can get started on investigating the issue. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi @RDComp, have you given the 2.4 and 5GHz networks separate WiFi names and passwords? If not, you will only see one WiFi Name and Password even though both bands are broadcasting since your xFi has a  combined WiFi name and password. 

You can check xFi in the Overview section to see if he has one WiFi name and password. Drill down further and check the Network section > Advanced settings to see details about the 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

I hope this help you answer your question. If you need anything else, please send me a Private Message. Thanks for using our forum!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Posted On: Friday - June 29, 2018

I thought my 5 GHz Band wasn't working either. I was able to confirm it was working and how to access it.

1. I went to the webpage address: https://internet.xfinity.com/network

(When you click on the link above it may not take you directly to the page's "Network" tab, but rather to the "Overview" tab. The tabs are located along the top of the page and listed as: "Overview" "People" "Devices" "Network" and "More". You have to first select the "Network" tab in order to get to the correct 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi Settings Editor Box when you click the blue "Edit WiFi" link described in the next step.)

2. After selecting the "Network" tab, look on the upper right side of the page just below the tabs and click on the blue "Edit WiFi" link.

When the WiFi Editor box opens, at top you should see an option with a checkbox that says:

"USE DIFFERENT NAMES AND PASSWORDS FOR 2.4 GHZ AND 5 GHZ WIFI"

When I clicked the check box to turn on the feature a red lettered warning message stated:

"Not recommended. Using the same name​/​password for the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks lets your Gateway sort out the best connection at any time."

3. I ignored the warning, scrolled down to the 5 GHz WiFi Band Setup and entered a different 5 GHz Broadcast SSID and Password. I left the Security Mode setting on the default WPA2.

You can choose whether or not you want to broadcast your 2.4 GHz and/or 5 GHz Band SSID's by checking or unchecking the checkbox associated with that Band.

* When I allowed my Gateway Device to "sort out the best WiFi connection" as recommended, it always chose to use the 2.4 GHz Band even when my device was capable of connecting to the much better 5 GHz Band signal that also happened to be tuned to a virtually unused channel.

By unchecking the 5 GHz Band Broadcast SSID box but keeping the separate 5 GHz Band SSID Name and Password I am still able to connect to my 5 GHz Band without broadcasting it's availability to anyone within range. However, if you choose to do this you may need to select the 5 GHz Band and manually enter the WiFi SSID, Password and Security information you chose into your 5 GHz capable device before it can take advantage of it.

New Poster

Thank you so much! That was very easy and spot on!

New Poster

I have the reverse problem. And now I have a device that doesn't like the 5 GHz speed. I was never offered the opportunity to set up separate networks during the setup procedure. Now that default SSID name does not show up on my Wi-Fi list. manually typing in that network name also did not work. Any suggestions??