Community Forum

My Account, xFi and Authenticator Apps on iPhone

Frequent Visitor

My Account, xFi and Authenticator Apps on iPhone

It is beyond my ability to rationalize why there are three apps on my iPhone to determine the status of the xFi modem. 1) Xfinity My Account, 2) xFi, and 3) authenticator. If I want to know if/why the internet is down I have to log into My Account. To reboot the modem I have to log into the modem thru xFi - not via a tab on My Account. If monkeying with the xFi app doesn't resolve the problem (like yesterday) I have to reenter My Account to get to tech to call me. And that confounding athenticator sits there after I copy its code offering until I find the xFi screen again. And how do I kill that function so I am not trying to figure out what my ID is supposed to be with that app while I am wrestling with access to the internet?  Can Comcast make this any more difficult? Why doesn't Comcast send me a text message to say that the internet is down at my home address so I don't pull the splitter out of the equation again. Is that now my standard procdure to figure out the blinking lights on the  modem? Methinks Comcast has over-engineered the internet from a user perspective. And this window doesn't have spell check. Go figure. Now I have to reconnect the problematic splitter so I can go find out what is going on outside the internet  bubble - e.g., conenct (sic) the TV. (See spell check comment above.)

Frequent Visitor

Re: My Account, xFi and Authenticator Apps on iPhone

And how do I get rid of the annoying message each time I log into xFi that offers that my equipment has shipped. I know it has shipped becasue I got it and installed it last week.

Silver Problem Solver

@RealMadRanger wrote:

It is beyond my ability to rationalize why there are three apps on my iPhone to determine the status of the xFi modem. 1) Xfinity My Account, 2) xFi, and 3) authenticator. If I want to know if/why the internet is down I have to log into My Account. To reboot the modem I have to log into the modem thru xFi - not via a tab on My Account. If monkeying with the xFi app doesn't resolve the problem (like yesterday) I have to reenter My Account to get to tech to call me. And that confounding athenticator sits there after I copy its code offering until I find the xFi screen again. And how do I kill that function so I am not trying to figure out what my ID is supposed to be with that app while I am wrestling with access to the internet?  Can Comcast make this any more difficult? Why doesn't Comcast send me a text message to say that the internet is down at my home address so I don't pull the splitter out of the equation again. Is that now my standard procdure to figure out the blinking lights on the  modem? Methinks Comcast has over-engineered the internet from a user perspective. And this window doesn't have spell check. Go figure. Now I have to reconnect the problematic splitter so I can go find out what is going on outside the internet  bubble - e.g., conenct (sic) the TV. (See spell check comment above.)

I don't have Authenticator on ANY of my wifi devices.  Can you delete it?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Robert, Thanks. I could remove the Authenticator, but it begs the quesiton: Why are there three apps involeved in determining the status of serv

@RobertWy wrote:

@RealMadRanger wrote:

I don't have Authenticator on ANY of my wifi devices.  Can you delete it?

ice. Why can't sign-in credentials be passed from one Xfinity screen/app to another? The user expereince is unnecessarily cumbersome.

Regular Contributor

Are referring to your mobile devices or the website? On the website it’s relatively easy for me to log in but I just have to have my iPhone nearby to use the authenticator app and I can reach my account and Xfi settings thru that login. For your mobile devices, next time you approve on the authenticator app see if there is a check box that says something like “approval not needed on this device”. If you’re using an iPhone use a passcode and Touch ID. 

Frequent Visitor

xFi does NOT work on a Splitter

Well, the solution to three apps on the iPhone to manage the xFi is simple - send the xFi back. It turns out - according to a Comcast tech this morning  - the xFi modem does not work on a splitter. I called her after the xFi quit for the second time this week. When I called about the first outage I was told it was due to a bad splitter. Never heard of such a thing! Still, I picked up a replacement splitter at the Comcast store and installed it two days ago. Why it takes two days for the modem to quit working I can only attribute to purposeful Comcast engineering. Comcast did offer to send a tech out to install another COAX line - leaving me to wonder how they can split a signal after the cable enters the house - but I can't use their splitter after the cable exits an inside wall. I don't need another cable in a house I will vacate within 6-weeks, so I declined the offer and expense. I did request that the old modem be shipped back to me with no charge for shipping and xFi fees reimbursed.

Official Employee

Re: xFi does NOT work on a Splitter

Hi @RealMadRanger

Thank you for posting your experience with xFi. Sorry for the experience you're having. You shouldn't have to use all three to check the status of your internet or to reboot the modem. I'd like to check the provisioning on the backend of your account to help get through the issues you are running into. Please send me a message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: xFi DOES work on a Splitter

OK. This has not been an enjoyable journey - but it did end well.

Three different online techs addressed the problem with three modems not working. Two techs got it all wrong but, John (the thrird tech) got it right. John said I needed a live tech onsite - I baulked since I have only 5-weeks left in the house. ComcastChe on this site made the onsite tech visit happen. So, thank you very much ComcastChe (and John).

Fred showed up today 45-minutes inside the 2-hour window. Of coure when Fred opened a website when he got here, the Internet was nearly flawless while hooked to the split line. (It did not work just 45 minutes earlier when I tested it.) Fred asked that I hold on a minute; he wanted to run some line checks. It turned out there there was significant noise on the splitter line. After a few more checks he determined that the DVR box on a separate COAX was the source of the noise. He replaced that box and the line became clean. For good measure, he replaced the line connectors outside the house and the one behind the splitter. (John had indicated that it could be 100 different aspects of the setup that might have been the source of the problem. He was right, although it only took a  test of a half-dozen to prove his point.)

For those who would like to know the Internet speeds: we have 297Mbps down and 22 up. It was worth the cost of Fred's visit even though I will only benefit for the next 5-weeks. Why spend the cash? Becasue ComcastChe was serious enough about solving the problem. Thanks ComcastChe & John.

And Fred did  all the onsite work and answered every question I tosssed his way about his test procedures. He moves on to Home Security department soon. Good luck. You did well here by me!

Official Employee

Re: xFi DOES work on a Splitter

@RealMadRanger

Thank you for giving me the chance to assist you. I apologize about the amount of time it took to get taken care of, but I'm happy we were able to work together to help get this resolved once and for all. If you have any issues, questions, or concerns in the future, feel free to reach out to us. Thank you for being a valued customer, take care. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!