Community Forum

Limiting Data Usage for One Device

New Poster

Limiting Data Usage for One Device

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to limit the amount of data that one device or profile uses. We have one roommate that seems to be using >80% of the data provided by our plan. I don't want to cut him off completely but would like to allocate a specific amount of data or a maximum bandwidth for their device.

Thanks!

Official Employee

Re: Limiting Data Usage for One Device

kkulinski, unfortunately, we do not have that option at this time. Your roommate can set up notifications when he or she is closer to a certain amount of data. I recommend maybe discussing with them electing to get unlimited data since they seem to be the heavy data user. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Limiting data usage is known as a Qos feature or quality of service feature. I would like to know why xfinity does not offer these features when any new quality router on the market does offer it and why the customer service rep lied to me on the phone and said they have qos feature in the xfi app when they dont. Your solution is to go out and buy a modem that has a QoS feature.
New Poster

Hello,  Are there any plans to add a way to limit a device or user based on data usage?

New Poster

If you are going to charge my account for going over my data allowance, you should at least have a tool in place for helping me set data caps for devices.

In otherwords, if you give my family a data allowance per month, I should be able to divide out that data and set limits for each family memember.  In the mean time, I'm going to be dealing with two furious teenagers thanks to you deciding that my family should be limited to 1g/month.  

New Poster

That is a request I've submitted but have yet to get an answer.

New Poster

Limited data on phone
New Poster

This doesn't fall into their business model.  Giving you the ability to manage that would cut down on the revenue they receive from overage charges.  I doubt they will ever fulfill this feature request.