Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Intermittent Connectivity Loss

Frequent Visitor

Intermittent Connectivity Loss

Hi,

For quite some time now I've been experiencing intermittent connectivity loss. When it happens, my TG3482G modem seems to reboot. The light on the top of it turns off, then red, then after several minutes turns white at which point the internet is working again.

I've observed this effect happening via several different client devices (both my phone and my laptop), and have tried both wired and wireless connections while the internet is down.

I used to think that this was a problem with my modem and needed a replacement, but I very recently upgraded to the gigabit internet plan, wherein the technician upgraded my modem to a new model. During the upgrade, he checked all the wiring, replaced some, then checked the signal levels and said that I had "basically perfect" signal.

I've contacted support several times about the issue. Every time, they've sent a "refresh" signal to the modem, which hasn't prevented the problem from reoccurring. Beyond that, they've not been able to help me.

This is a really difficult issue to pin down however, since I can't reliably reproduce the issue; it just happens randomly, sometimes multiple times a day, sometimes not for several days. I've also now replaced every piece of hardware and cabling involved in my house.

Do you have any advice on what my next steps should be?

Expert

Re: Intermittent Connectivity Loss

@Temp2008 wrote:

Hi,

For quite some time now I've been experiencing intermittent connectivity loss. When it happens, my TG3482G modem seems to reboot. The light on the top of it turns off, then red, then after several minutes turns white at which point the internet is working again.

I've observed this effect happening via several different client devices (both my phone and my laptop), and have tried both wired and wireless connections while the internet is down.

I used to think that this was a problem with my modem and needed a replacement, but I very recently upgraded to the gigabit internet plan, wherein the technician upgraded my modem to a new model. During the upgrade, he checked all the wiring, replaced some, then checked the signal levels and said that I had "basically perfect" signal.

I've contacted support several times about the issue. Every time, they've sent a "refresh" signal to the modem, which hasn't prevented the problem from reoccurring. Beyond that, they've not been able to help me.

This is a really difficult issue to pin down however, since I can't reliably reproduce the issue; it just happens randomly, sometimes multiple times a day, sometimes not for several days. I've also now replaced every piece of hardware and cabling involved in my house.

Do you have any advice on what my next steps should be?

I've seen this behaviour with my XB6.  In all cases, Comcast was working on the lines that feed my residence.

Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@Temp2008

I've seen this behaviour with my XB6.  In all cases, Comcast was working on the lines that feed my residence.

This is good to know.  How can one find out if this is the case for our interruptions?

Official Employee

Hello NEWcam30era, I can assist you with finding out what is causing your service interruptions. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?

Frequent Visitor

This continues to happen for me. The internet was repeatedly dropping out last night.

I tried connecting both wirelessly and via an ethernet cable to my TG3482G using two different computers and it continued to exhibit the problem.

Official Employee

Hi Temp2008, I can assist you with your connectivity issues as well. Please send me a private message with your account information. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi ComcastAmir, I'm not able to send private messages. Either I can't find the button to do so, or my account is not enabled for PMs.

After several calls with support, they sent out a technician. The technician couldn't find any problems, so he said that he would send someone to look at the cabling on the street. I didn't hear anything after that, it was about a month ago. Since then, the internet has been working well up until about a week ago when it started dropping out again. At the moment it's dropping out every few minutes.

I'm going to call again today, but any additional help you can provide would be appreciated.

New Poster

I am having this same issue across all of my devices.

I have reset the modem in ge app several times and still have this issue about every 4 or 5 minutes
Frequent Visitor

After calling Comcast, I got escalated to a higher tier of support. They said that there was warning statuses being returned by the box on the street, and they were going to send out someone qualified to work on it. Note that I'd already had a tech out to check the cabling in and around the house.

When the day for the tech to come out arrived, he called me and it turned out to be the same tech that had come previously. He said that he checked everything and was going to check with his supervisor as to what to do. He also gave me his work cell phone number. That was a week ago now. I've texted him every few days, and the one time that I got a response (four days ago), he said that he still needed to check with his supervisor.

Frequent Visitor

Hey folks, just to let you know, I've also just posted my issue to the Comcast_Xfinity subreddit here.

Official Employee

Temp2008 wrote: Hey folks, just to let you know, I've also just posted my issue to the Comcast_Xfinity subreddit here.

I replied to your PM, please reach back out to me there and we can get this addressed.