Community Forum

IP address routing issue

Highlighted
New Poster

IP address routing issue

I live in South NJ, trying to watch a NY hockey team play a game against Tampa Bay using my Xbox console with the NHL app. The app won’t let me view the game as it says it’s blacked out in my area. When I go to the NHL TV website to find out if I’m in the blacked out area based on my zip code, the only games blacked out are Philly games. I’ve called Comcast tech support 5 times, NHL Network twice and Xbox support once. Apparently my IP address is being routed through Plainsfield, NJ, which is in the blackout area. I’ve been watching games on my Xbox since the season started in October. I’ve never had a problem until now. I’ve also been using this same setup for the past few yrs with no problems. Comcast blames it on NHL TV an Xbox. Xbox and NHL TV say the same thing, Comcast is routing my IP trough a blacked out area and the app thinks that’ is where I live. Comcast solution, get the tv channel the game is shown on, but it’s not available in my area (hence paying to use the NHL app). Now I have a tech coming to my house tomorrow (maybe, as they never showed up today) to probably tell me I have to move to watch the game. Some more info on the problem, game also blacked out on PS4 and laptop, but I can watch the game on my IPad or phone using the same WiFi connection. Nobody at Comcast seems to get the concept of how blacked out areas work, how the app works. I’ve been sent to the internet techs, tv techs, level 2 techs with no joy. Can someone please help me out?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: IP address routing issue

@puck-head wrote:

I live in South NJ, trying to watch a NY hockey team play a game against Tampa Bay using my Xbox console with the NHL app. The app won’t let me view the game as it says it’s blacked out in my area. When I go to the NHL TV website to find out if I’m in the blacked out area based on my zip code, the only games blacked out are Philly games. I’ve called Comcast tech support 5 times, NHL Network twice and Xbox support once. Apparently my IP address is being routed through Plainsfield, NJ, which is in the blackout area. I’ve been watching games on my Xbox since the season started in October. I’ve never had a problem until now. I’ve also been using this same setup for the past few yrs with no problems. Comcast blames it on NHL TV an Xbox. Xbox and NHL TV say the same thing, Comcast is routing my IP trough a blacked out area and the app thinks that’ is where I live. Comcast solution, get the tv channel the game is shown on, but it’s not available in my area (hence paying to use the NHL app). Now I have a tech coming to my house tomorrow (maybe, as they never showed up today) to probably tell me I have to move to watch the game. Some more info on the problem, game also blacked out on PS4 and laptop, but I can watch the game on my IPad or phone using the same WiFi connection. Nobody at Comcast seems to get the concept of how blacked out areas work, how the app works. I’ve been sent to the internet techs, tv techs, level 2 techs with no joy. Can someone please help me out?

This does not sound like an xFi issue.  Try a different forum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!