Community Forum

How to approve/deny access to internet? Son found a way around parental controls

New Poster

How to approve/deny access to internet? Son found a way around parental controls

Hi, My high-schooler has found a way to get around parental controls such as bedtime mode, active time limits, etc. with his Xbox.  He has learned he can give his gaming console a new MAC address, as well as a new name (through the console itself... instructions can be found on YouTube, fyi!). Since he knows our home internet passcode, he can log in and play all night long.

I would like to be able to approve or deny access to any new device connecting to our home network, ideally through the Xfi app. I know we can also take the power cord, xbox, or the router at night, but thats more complicated... as is changing the wireless passcode on a nightly basis.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Regular Visitor

Re: How to approve/deny access to internet? Son found a way around parental controls

I don't know if your modem/router has it, but some of them have MAC address filtering.  It will only allow the MAC address that are put in. 

Edit: It won't show screenshot nor can I remove it.

linksys.JPG

New Poster

Re: How to approve/deny access to internet? Son found a way around parental controls

Yes, this is extremely frustrating. My son has downloaded the XFi app himself & controls the bedtime mode I set up. How is he doing this? I’ve changed my password a dozen times. I use my finger print to access 99% of things on my phone so how the heck is he doing this?
New Poster

Yes, I am having the same trouble! Currently I have 44 names for the same xbox listed under his avatar for devices. It's extremely frustrating. As soon as the xbox pauses when he's reached his active time limit, suddenly he's just back on with a newly-named device.