Community Forum

Have XFi pods killed your network?

Frequent Visitor

Have XFi pods killed your network?

I'm not seeing people with the same issue, and the only response I have gotten from Mr Wy was to RTFM. Oh.. it didnt help me at all.

I purchased the 6 pod pack at the store just before Christmas because "I was gonna get awesome coverage".

1. Worked great with all pods connected for the first week
  2. Did NOT like that I had to use simplified WiFi (auto channel, ONE SSID - the plot will thicken in a minute...)
  3. About a week in, the whole thing ground to a halt... NO Wifi worked. Looking at WiFI Explorer revealed TONS of trash in the air, with pretty much everything using the same channel. This is not a good thing.
  4. I unplugged all pods, and the Internet started working in a few minutes. Hmmm....
  5. I started by re-plugging pods 1by1, and I think it may be a defective pod. I have had "no issues" for a week (at least - let's say 'the Internet works"-ish.)
  6. It took 2 techs and a WHOLE DAY of fiddling with my Internet to actually get the Gigabit speeds I have been paying for (for the past 2 years - it's a saga, so I won't go into it but suffice it to say, it wasn't MY fault).
  7. After installing TWO XB6 gateways, and lots of testing, I can get a gigabit, but only IF WIRED. I was able to get 575Mb on my iPhone once the techs and I tuned off the default channel. Yay! But wait...
  8. When I was FORCED to use "lobotomy mode' removing all control of my WiFI config, speed on WiFI has gone in the toilet. I am seeing various speeds, all up to about 128Mb.

Again - this is not what I think I should be getting for $400/mo and an additional $200 for these pods that came with drawbacks nobody bothered to mention at the store!

My irritation is ONCE AGAIN escalating because despite having a tech come out (they know NOTHING about the pods... too new), he suggested I come here, and so far, TOTAL WASTE OF TIME. 

I need to be able to configure my channel and I'd LIKE to separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The current tradeoff of 'getting coverage' has cost me all of the speed I pay for on WiFi.  

Let's fix this, please.

If it's a limitation of the hardware, then please feel free to discount the price down to what I am actually getting. At 1/6th the speed, I should be paying 1/6th of the price, right??

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Have XFi pods killed your network?

@mdooley73 wrote:

I'm not seeing people with the same issue, and the only response I have gotten from Mr Wy was to RTFM. Oh.. it didnt help me at all.

I purchased the 6 pod pack at the store just before Christmas because "I was gonna get awesome coverage".

1. Worked great with all pods connected for the first week
  2. Did NOT like that I had to use simplified WiFi (auto channel, ONE SSID - the plot will thicken in a minute...)
  3. About a week in, the whole thing ground to a halt... NO Wifi worked. Looking at WiFI Explorer revealed TONS of trash in the air, with pretty much everything using the same channel. This is not a good thing.
  4. I unplugged all pods, and the Internet started working in a few minutes. Hmmm....
  5. I started by re-plugging pods 1by1, and I think it may be a defective pod. I have had "no issues" for a week (at least - let's say 'the Internet works"-ish.)
  6. It took 2 techs and a WHOLE DAY of fiddling with my Internet to actually get the Gigabit speeds I have been paying for (for the past 2 years - it's a saga, so I won't go into it but suffice it to say, it wasn't MY fault).
  7. After installing TWO XB6 gateways, and lots of testing, I can get a gigabit, but only IF WIRED. I was able to get 575Mb on my iPhone once the techs and I tuned off the default channel. Yay! But wait...
  8. When I was FORCED to use "lobotomy mode' removing all control of my WiFI config, speed on WiFI has gone in the toilet. I am seeing various speeds, all up to about 128Mb.

Again - this is not what I think I should be getting for $400/mo and an additional $200 for these pods that came with drawbacks nobody bothered to mention at the store!

My irritation is ONCE AGAIN escalating because despite having a tech come out (they know NOTHING about the pods... too new), he suggested I come here, and so far, TOTAL WASTE OF TIME. 

I need to be able to configure my channel and I'd LIKE to separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The current tradeoff of 'getting coverage' has cost me all of the speed I pay for on WiFi.  

Let's fix this, please.

If it's a limitation of the hardware, then please feel free to discount the price down to what I am actually getting. At 1/6th the speed, I should be paying 1/6th of the price, right??

Just an FYI if you didn't know.  I have gigabit with Orbi for my wifi.  My download sitting next to the Orbi wiht my iPhone7 is about 500/40.  That is about what I have seen elsewhere.

My cat6 ethernet connected from my gigabit ethernet card in my Win10 computer gets 950/40.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Re: Have XFi pods killed your network?

Hi mdooley73, I've read your posts and it sounds like your main concerns are related to the speeds you are receiving when using Pods. I would like to continue to use this thread to address some of your concerns and to perform any troubleshooting that is necessary.

In regards to your concern about your Gig speed service:

Some newer devices may be able to achieve higher speeds both over WiFi and Ethernet connection, however most devices will not see the full gig speed test result (due to device limitations). 

You can look up expected speeds for most common devices (computers/laptops, phones and tablets) when you run the speed test from speedtest.xfinity.com > select the link "Learn about the things that may affect your test results". Under 'Consumer device Capabilities', there is a link to check out the list of common consumer devices and expected speeds -- this can help you compare the speed results of a specific device to the maximum achievable under ideal settings.

Here are the links to some articles that may provide additional info:

More information on the Gig service: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-most-from-xfinity-gigabit-internet-service

WiFi speed expectations with Gig service: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-wifi-gigabit-download-speeds

Device & browser requirements for Gig speed testing: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service

In regards to your concern about the xFi Pods:
Pods help extend the range of WiFi coverage in your home to hard-to-reach areas, or areas with poor WiFi signals. They are not intended to provide the maximum speed of your Internet speed tier throughout your home. For example, if you have a speed tier that provides download speeds up to 200 Mbps, Pods will not provide that speed throughout your home. Rather, the Pods will help you connect in areas where you could not previously connect to your in-home WiFi. Pods will not exceed the maximum provisioned speed of your Xfinity Internet tier of service. Pods have a maximum throughput of 200 Mbps over a WiFi connection in laboratory settings. Other factors can affect speeds.

Please note that you should be conservative when determining the number of Pods that you would like to purchase. As you've called out in your post, installing more Pods than necessary could impact your home WiFi speeds.

Pods require that you have both your 2.4 and 5 GHz bands combined and broadcasted under one network name and password. Your xFi Gateway and xFi Pods will work together to determine the best connection point (Gateway vs. Pod) and connection type (2.4 vs. 5 GHz) for connected devices. In addition to connection point and connection type, the channel selection for each device will also be automatically managed.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions/concerns. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!