Community Forum

Gateway and XFi reporting seems persistently inaccurate for some devices

Regular Visitor

Gateway and XFi reporting seems persistently inaccurate for some devices

I have encountered the following persistent issues with multiple Comcast cable modems.   Is it just me?

1.  Some of my devices which connect over WiFi are reported as disconnected even when it can be demonstrated that they are connected. 

2.  Some advanced security features work after first setup for a while - but as soon as an unknown sufficient number of changes are made in the settings for those features, they stop working, refusing to allow authorized devices to connect, and the only way to fix those features appears to be to replace the Cable Modem.

3. XFi doesn't help, since it seems to agree with the false information on the Cable Modem on everything.

Official Employee

Re: Gateway and XFi reporting seems persistently inaccurate for some devices

@SirKenneth wrote:

I have encountered the following persistent issues with multiple Comcast cable modems.   Is it just me?

1.  Some of my devices which connect over WiFi are reported as disconnected even when it can be demonstrated that they are connected. 

2.  Some advanced security features work after first setup for a while - but as soon as an unknown sufficient number of changes are made in the settings for those features, they stop working, refusing to allow authorized devices to connect, and the only way to fix those features appears to be to replace the Cable Modem.

3. XFi doesn't help, since it seems to agree with the false information on the Cable Modem on everything.

Hi SirKenneth, 

We are looking into the reports of devices in xFi reporting the incorrect Connected/Not Connected status. Next time you experience this, can you please grab screenshots of xFi and your device settings showing it is connected to your network. You can then send those to me by Private Message, please include your Account Number and the device MAC address so we can look into it. 

For the Advanced Settings, can you please provide some detail on which settings you see this issue occuring with?

Thanks!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Please note that this is not an issue that is connected to a single device.  It can happen with any device which is capable of connecting in multiple ways.   

There are three ways to connect to the internet in my configuration:

1.  My computers connect via RJ45 wiring directly - ethernet proper

2.  The Technicolor Modem has 5ghz and 2.4ghz (separate) bands (call them A and

3.  I have, in addition, an additional add-on WiFi system which is plugged into an eithernet port;  that system also has 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands and is capable ot the same speeds as those offered by the Technicolor modem.  (call these two bands C and D)

So a device can connect to Ethernet, or any of the  A, B , C or D WiFi bands. This configuration has some issues that i would like to solve, but it works for me.  Since my house wired for Ethernet RJ45, the C and D bands are on the other side of the house from the A and B bands solving a problem I had with dropped connections from some smart devices.

Here are some of the complicating issues.

1.  The C and D bands are not capable of the same level of security as the A and B bands.  I only installed them after having serious issues with multiple Comcast solutions of extending WiFi coverage.   Comcast solutions were difficutl to control, and reduced the internete speed by a factor of about 4.

2.  The Technicolor modem from comcast does not recognize the C an D bands as WiFi nor can it see the bands.  So a device that connects to C or D WiFi is reported as an "Ethernet" connection by XFi, the Comcast Online system, and the local cable modem menus.  The device knows it's connected to C or D WiFi but your system records the connection as "Ethernet".   

---------------------------------------------------------------

Please see my private communication.

Regular Visitor

The Technicolor bands are A and B,  not A and (face)

New Poster

It would also be nice if the app showed the actual data useage of each device as it’s always innacurate and no way to accurately gauge data consumed.
Highlighted
Official Employee

@SirKenneth wrote:

Please note that this is not an issue that is connected to a single device.  It can happen with any device which is capable of connecting in multiple ways.   

There are three ways to connect to the internet in my configuration:

1.  My computers connect via RJ45 wiring directly - ethernet proper

2.  The Technicolor Modem has 5ghz and 2.4ghz (separate) bands (call them A and

3.  I have, in addition, an additional add-on WiFi system which is plugged into an eithernet port;  that system also has 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands and is capable ot the same speeds as those offered by the Technicolor modem.  (call these two bands C and D)

So a device can connect to Ethernet, or any of the  A, B , C or D WiFi bands. This configuration has some issues that i would like to solve, but it works for me.  Since my house wired for Ethernet RJ45, the C and D bands are on the other side of the house from the A and B bands solving a problem I had with dropped connections from some smart devices.

Here are some of the complicating issues.

1.  The C and D bands are not capable of the same level of security as the A and B bands.  I only installed them after having serious issues with multiple Comcast solutions of extending WiFi coverage.   Comcast solutions were difficutl to control, and reduced the internete speed by a factor of about 4.

2.  The Technicolor modem from comcast does not recognize the C an D bands as WiFi nor can it see the bands.  So a device that connects to C or D WiFi is reported as an "Ethernet" connection by XFi, the Comcast Online system, and the local cable modem menus.  The device knows it's connected to C or D WiFi but your system records the connection as "Ethernet".   

---------------------------------------------------------------

Please see my private communication.

Thank you for this information and for sending the private messages. Based on this description of how your network is set up, there are a few things I would like to clarify in regards to xFi.

xFi is designed to work best for networks where there is one xFi Gateway broadcasting WiFi and all devices in the home are connecting back to that Gateway (either wirelessly or through ethernet). For situations where the WiFi needs to be extended, xFi Pods are designed to integrate seamlessly with the Gateway and your xFi experience. 

Using other 3rd party extenders, additional access points, or a side car router may impact xFi.  You can read up on some issues we've noticed previously in respect to these types of devices here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-xFi/Information-Regarding-xFi-and-Third-Party-WiFi-Extenders/t...

With respect to the setup that you walked through for your network, we cannot guarantee that any devices connected to your additional WiFi access point (router) will display accurately in xFi. The device information displayed in xFi is reliant on the information that is passed back to the Gateway. It sounds like the devices connecting to the WiFi network broadcasting from your ethernet connected 3rd party router, are reporting back in xFi as not connected, ethernet devices. While this may not be accurate, because the connection is going through an additional access point, this is all the information that xFi has for that device. 

If you would like to test this out, I would recommend either connecting those devices directly to the Gateway's WiFi networks, or disconnecting the additional router temporarily to see how xFi responds. 

I would also like to note, that what you are experiencing may not be the same for all networks with 3rd party extenders, additional access points, or a side car router. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

You complain that I am using a 3rd party WiFi to extend my nework.  But I already tried the  Comcast in-network solutions to extending my WiFi netork to reach all the devices.  The Comcast solutions to network extention simply DO NOT WORK.

The Comcast solutions to WiFi network extension have the following critical problems.  So please do not complain that I am using 3rd party solutions that DO work well.

1.  When I use Comcast WiFi network solutions, it reduces my WiFi nework speed by about 4-fold, from a gigibit speed to less to 200 MB speed.  Since network speed is my primary concern, this was unacceptable.

2.  Comcast WiFi newtwork solutions are unreliable. They force my devices to connect to the wrong access point consitently.  When I was using Comcast XFi extenders I had to shut the extention down numerous times to correct rogue network connections. 

Furthermore, the fact that Comcast cannot report on devices correctly has been occurring long before I added a 3rd party WiFi extension.  I've had to replace my Comcast modem more than twice in the last year because not only reporting failures, but modem software failues where authorized devices were unable to connect.

I suggest that you stop blaming me for using 3rd party extensions and instead spend some money on improving Comcast systems.

Official Employee

I am sorry to hear that the xFi Pods did not meet your expectations. xFi Pods are our recommended solution for WiFi coverage because they have been designed to integrate seamlessly into the xFi experience.

If you choose to pursue other WiFi extender solutions outside of the xFi Pods you are free to do so, however we cannot provide any guarantee as to how those solutions will work with xFi. 

I appreciate your suggestions and I feel that we have addressed the original issue brought up in this thread. I am going to close this thread, but if you have any other questions about xFi, please feel free to start another.