Community Forum

Few Devices Connecting to Xfi Pods

Highlighted
New Poster

Few Devices Connecting to Xfi Pods

Picked up 3 Xfi Pods last week - to give the the old "mesh network" a try. Also picked up a new XB6 (cgm4140com) gateway and bumped up my plan capacity.

Main reason for trying the Xfi pods was to see if Comcasts solution would provide me with better device management since my previous setup using a couple of Netgear extender resulted in the actual extenders being tracked as opposed to my kids actual devices when they were connected through the extenders.

I'm running the single network name, with password, and followed the instructions about pod placement. My home is about 2500 square feet, single story. 

What I'm finding is that few - if any devices - connect to the pods. Most of my devices are connecting to the actual gateway itself. This is confirmed when looking in the app & pulling up each pod or the gateway and it shows what is connected.

Because so many devices are connected directly to the gateway - the experience of one of those devices is slow/degraded browsing. 

I should note that NONE of my Nest devices are connecting to the pods either - and I have pods very close to each of those devices (outdoor camera, 3 indoor cameras and a thermostat). They are all connected to the gateway directly.

Curious if anyone has any reasons/suggestions or if there's any known issues I don't know about yet with these pods. I'd really like to have my devices using the nearest pod. I understand there's some sort of logic built in that determines where a device should connect - but, the way things are laid out - I really believe most devices should be connected to its nearest pod - definitely not haveing almost everything connected to the gateway!

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Few Devices Connecting to Xfi Pods

jmaiher - Thanks for reaching out.  When I pull up your account, it looks like all of your Pods are in good health & that devices are connecting via the Pods.  Previous to you having the Pods and the Netgear Extenders, did you experience coverage issues in your home?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Few Devices Connecting to Xfi Pods

I picked up 6 pods think like you.  I would give Comcast a Try.  I have been using routers converted to WAPs (cheaper), but was looking to upgrade my gear.  I was looking at MESH (mre expensive than using routers), but wanted "plug and play".  My conenctions seemed better so I thught things were good.  However, after reading your post I checked and nothings is conencted to my pods either in areas I had problems with.  Signal is better thrughout my house.  I did find one device connected to a pod and a pod that is actually further away from the device.  There is one much closer so I wonder why it is not connecting to that one.  I wish there was an easier way to see what was conencted to what.  Too many things to click on and view.  I wonder why my devices are conencting to the gateway versus the pods.  And how the signal seems boosted at the same time.  Thigns are working better somehow, so I guess I should not complain.