Community Forum

Disconnecting a device

New Poster

Disconnecting a device

I am trying to remove a device that is connected to my wifi. It says however that I need to disconnect it from my network before it will allow me to 'forget' it. How do I disconnect it from my network? I can't seem to locate the 'button' to do that. I'm not trying to logout of a device like a phone or laptop. I'm talking about disconnecting devices that have logged into my home network somehow, and are active, but don't belong to me. I get a notification that a new device has joined my network, but I can't figure out how to disconnect it.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Disconnecting a device

@samfamwa wrote:
I am trying to remove a device that is connected to my wifi. It says however that I need to disconnect it from my network before it will allow me to 'forget' it. How do I disconnect it from my network? I can't seem to locate the 'button' to do that. I'm not trying to logout of a device like a phone or laptop. I'm talking about disconnecting devices that have logged into my home network somehow, and are active, but don't belong to me. I get a notification that a new device has joined my network, but I can't figure out how to disconnect it.

I've never tried this - go to your wifi device and make it forget the wifi ssid then try to change it in xFi.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I am experiencing this same problem and haven't figured out how to do this... can someone please send some help... there was too many that it was affecting my phone to stay on wifi... any hello greatly appreciated
Silver Problem Solver

@teemar1 wrote:
I am experiencing this same problem and haven't figured out how to do this... can someone please send some help... there was too many that it was affecting my phone to stay on wifi... any hello greatly appreciated

Not sure what your issue is.  Try xFi Help.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/personalize-customize-hnetwork-xfi

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I’m having the same issue
Official Employee

Hello all,  

Please follow this link and follow the steps that are provided below to see if this will help you remove the devices. Please let me and others know if this is helpful or not. 

"Removing Devices"

You can remove an inactive (disconnected) device from the Devices section by selecting the name of the device, then Device Details > Forget Device. This will remove the device from the Devices section and unassign it from the profile it was associated with, if applicable. It will also permanently delete all historical network activity of this device. If the device reconnects to your home network, it will appear as a new device.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I followed the directions, however the unknown device is still connected to my home internet network and I cannot forget the device until it is disconnected. I have it paused for now, but how do I disconnect it from my home. How did this unknown device even gain access to my account?
Official Employee

@Sarah012 wrote:
I followed the directions, however the unknown device is still connected to my home internet network and I cannot forget the device until it is disconnected. I have it paused for now, but how do I disconnect it from my home. How did this unknown device even gain access to my account?

Hi Sarah012, can you check the device details in xFi and share what the device manufacturer/brand is? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I have a device named "LgElectr-34C4" that is not mine connected to my modem. its a device I've never put password in which I don't tell people my password I type it in for them so they dont know the password but this device managed to connect to my modem still. when trying to remove the device the forget device button isn't available cause the device is connected to my modem,says "To Forget This Device, First Disconnect It From Your Home Network. How Am I supposed to disconnect it if its not my device and i don't have it??
Silver Problem Solver

@DruBoyOfficial wrote:
I have a device named "LgElectr-34C4" that is not mine connected to my modem. its a device I've never put password in which I don't tell people my password I type it in for them so they dont know the password but this device managed to connect to my modem still. when trying to remove the device the forget device button isn't available cause the device is connected to my modem,says "To Forget This Device, First Disconnect It From Your Home Network. How Am I supposed to disconnect it if its not my device and i don't have it??

No chance you have an LG appliance of some kind?

New Poster

I have tried this and it still doesn't work. I have notice that even when I put devices on pause that it still uses data off my Network. I called support and the Outstanding support guy Robin that works the night shift. Couldn't explain why either. After we tried multiple things. Until he refreash the xfi app on he's side. Then we were able to get it to stop. So now I am in a dispute about my data usage.

New Poster

I figured out how to disconnect a device! Assign it to guest and then set the sleep time controls to maximum! I was able to then forget the unwanted device! I hope this helps.
New Poster

Ive tried that for a couple days trying to delete a divice but it still says To forget this device,
first disconnect it from your home network
Official Employee

anabedolla1995, that is correct. to disconnect or forget a device from xFi, you must disconnect the device first. I would recommend putting the device in airplane mode and then tapping forget this device under the device tab in xFi. Check this out: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/personalize-customize-hnetwork-xfi

Ken

New Poster

That’s everyone’s problem, they don’t have the offending device to be able to switch it into airplane mode or anything else...it’s someone they don’t know accessing the WiFi and it can’t be “forgotten” while still connected. There must be a way to disconnect a device that isn’t present from within the app, right?
New Poster

You hit the nail on the head. The device is not at my location and I don't know who/and or what it is, but it ain't mine!!
Official Employee Digital Care

Hello All! I'm sorry to hear that some of you are still experiencing issues with disconnecting a device from your Wi-Fi network. We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may be causing. We would be more than happy to further look into and assist you with this. Please send a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different.

To send a Private Message, please click “Comcast_Support” and click “send a message".