Community Forum

Device requires 2.4 network, but I have a mesh network

Frequent Visitor

Device requires 2.4 network, but I have a mesh network

I recently tried to connect an Anova Sous Vide device. When I couldn't connect, I got in touch with their tech support. After several back and forth interactions, their final advice was that I needed to split my 5.0 and 2.4 networks, so I could tell the device to connect to the 2.4 network.

From everything I've read, it should have selected the right network automatically, but it did not. Anyone have any other advice or can anyone tell me how to temporarily split the networks again?

Expert

Re: Device require 2.4 network, but I have a mesh network

I haven't tried this myself, but other customers have reported splitting their networks, connecting their device that needs the 2.4GHz network and then recombining the networks has worked.

See: Log into your device and change the name of one of the networks.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks -- can you kindly direct me to where in this link it explains splitting the network? I have waded through a bunch of the pages and cannot seem to locate it.

Official Employee

Use the XFi or MyAccount app and edit your networks

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

All you need to do is rename the 5GHz network something else and you'll have separate networks.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I must be missing something. When I go into my account from any of various methods, here is what I see (in attached file) -- only one WiFi network shown. I don't see the 2.4 and 5 separately.

Capture.PNG
Frequent Visitor

I also found this on the FAQ site:

Why am I no longer able to view/change some advanced settings?

If you don't see the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi settings (WiFi Mode, Channel Selection, and Channel Mode) in Advanced Settings, this means these settings are now being managed automatically to help optimize your home network and provide the best performance possible. Additionally, if you have xFi Pods, you won't see your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks listed separately. Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and password, so that all of your devices can seamlessly connect to the network that will provide the best WiFi signal at any given time.

Silver Problem Solver

@CDEHRLICH wrote:

I also found this on the FAQ site:

Why am I no longer able to view/change some advanced settings?

If you don't see the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi settings (WiFi Mode, Channel Selection, and Channel Mode) in Advanced Settings, this means these settings are now being managed automatically to help optimize your home network and provide the best performance possible. Additionally, if you have xFi Pods, you won't see your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks listed separately. Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and password, so that all of your devices can seamlessly connect to the network that will provide the best WiFi signal at any given time.

Do you have the xFi Pods?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I have xFi pods installed.

Silver Problem Solver

@CDEHRLICH wrote:

Yes, I have xFi pods installed.

The pods won't work if you split 2.4 and 5.0 out to two SSID's.  (Which can be done, but the pods won't work if you do.)

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

OK, thanks -- any suggestions for getting this device connected? 

Silver Problem Solver

@CDEHRLICH wrote:

OK, thanks -- any suggestions for getting this device connected? 

Unfortunately, I have the Orbi instead of the xFi Pods.  A Comcast employee might be able to help; they work odd hours so give it a day or two.

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy - can I split the networks temporarily, then recombine them so my pods work again? If so, how do I go about it?

Silver Problem Solver

@CDEHRLICH wrote:

@RobertWy - can I split the networks temporarily, then recombine them so my pods work again? If so, how do I go about it?

Yes you can, but the Pods will go offline and I don't have pods so I don't know what is required to get them back online.

See if this helps:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

Official Employee

Hi @CDEHRLICH, my apologies for delay in response to your issue connecting your device to your network.  Because you have xFi Pods, you will be unable to split your 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. 

I googled the Sous Vide machine that you have and it looks like they have provided some guidance on this here:  https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000095766-What-are-the-WI-FI-requirements-to-...-

I would suggest the following: 

1. When connected to your home network, open a web browser and login to the Gateway Admin page (10.0.0.1)
  2. Once logged in, select Connectionand then WiFi
  3. Select EDIT at the end of the row for the 5 GHz Frequency Band
  1. Select Disable and then SAVE SETTINGS
  2. Connect your device and complete any setup required
  3. Go back into the Admin Tool and re-enable the 5 GHz band.

Please understand that disabling the 5GHz band will make your network unstable for a time and devices may drop from the network. I would suggest making sure that you are located as close to the Gateway as possible when adding your device. Once you enable the 5 GHz band, you may have to reconnect some of your devices to the network. 

I hope this information helps!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you! That worked when coupled with another requirement from the Anova page -- the network name could not have any spaces. Unfortunately, our network name did have spaces. Once we corrected that and turned off the 5 GHz network, it connected immediately.

Official Employee

Glad to hear you were able to get this connected!