Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Device labeling

Regular Visitor

Device labeling

What labeling//naming scheme does the mobile app use when it finds a device? Some labels are obvious, like HP Printer. But others are obscure, like Apple-24sTv or EThr0073. I’ve got mulltiple devices beaconing all with miltiple S/N or M/N or UPC or PIN blah blah on them. Ain’t gonna look at each device and each number to break the mobile app code.
Tags (2)
Expert

Re: Device labeling

rcdrcd wrote:
What labeling//naming scheme does the mobile app use when it finds a device? Some labels are obvious, like HP Printer. But others are obscure, like Apple-24sTv or EThr0073. I’ve got mulltiple devices beaconing all with miltiple S/N or M/N or UPC or PIN blah blah on them. Ain’t gonna look at each device and each number to break the mobile app code.

Matching MAC addresses was the only way I could identify devices.  But some are household wifi devices with weird names like 

Manufacturer
Zettamed
Hostname
00:07:00:08:00:09
MAC Address
Connection Type
Ethernet
Access Point
N/A - Offline
IP Address
N/A

I put these in a Household profile.
Regular Visitor

I agree RobertW. My list has these wierd names. I don’t want to delete stuff cause I don’t what it is. Thanks n Merry Christmas 🎄
Official Employee

The default name that xFi shows for any unpersonalized device is the Manufacturer + last 4 digits of the MAC Address. To view more device information, you can select the Device and scroll down to Device Details. This page will provide information that is available for xFi to display including the Host Name (for some devices, Apple specifcially, this field may show the device's friendly name), full MAC Address and the network connection type. Hopefully these points of data can help in identifying the devices on your network. 

For directions on how to check MAC Addresses on devices, you can view the in-product FAQs in xFi under Help. We have provided guidance for MAC Address lookup on some commen devices.