Community Forum

Device Connecting to Our Home Network

New Poster

Device Connecting to Our Home Network

These are becoming annoying, but I've been getting via test messages, the following: "BenuNetw-62D5 just connected to your home network for the first time. Set up in Xfinity xFi at https://internet.xfinity.com/devices." My fiance who's more computer literate than I am managed to get this device deleted from my account when we went in to check. All of a sudden a couple of days later, it shows up in my text. When I try calling xFinity support, I get some foreign speaking person I hardly understand, which frustrates me in the end. And I never get a call back, resulting in more fristration and me NOT wanting to deal with anyone at xFinity! Any way I can troubleshoot this myself? <Edited: "Inflammatory">

Contributor

Re: Device Connecting to Our Home Network

@madman74,

In regards to the text messages you received about a new device connecting to your network; this is a relatively new type of messaging from Comcast. The message about this change from their corporate site (https://corporate.comcast.com/stories/xfi-rolls-out-new-home-network-notification-features):

"When we launched Xfinity xFi, we wanted to create a new home WiFi experience that would give people simple controls to manage and personalize connected devices, set parental controls, and even pause WiFi access for the whole family during dinner.  We now have 15 million customers with access to xFi and we’ll continue to roll out new features on a regular basis.

We’re always looking for ways to give xFi users more awareness and control over what’s happening on their home networks.  Since changes to your home network shouldn’t happen without you knowing about it, starting today, xFi customers can receive additional real-time, WiFi-related push notifications on their smartphones and their TV screens via the X1 platform.

Here are a few notification examples:

• New Device Connected – Wouldn’t you like to know when a new device joins your home network? We thought so too. When you receive this notification, you can quickly open up the xFi app on your smartphone (or go to the xFi website online), name the device (“Max’s Laptop”), and assign it to a household member for even more personalization and control."

This is a feature that helps you to better manage your Xfinity home network and the devices connecting to it. I believe these type of alerts are called "Network Activity notifications". Per this article (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-faqs

"Network Activity notifications alert you when a new device joins your home network for the first time."

You can always choose to opt out of these and other network messaging in the xFi app. You can do so by following the directions below (outlined in this article: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-notification-center)

"You can opt in to receive these home network notifications in real time through email, SMS or push notifications on your mobile device, and on your TV screen through the X1 Notification Center. Learn more about xFi notifications on X1.

"How to Access the Notification Center

You can access the Notification Center by selecting the speech bubble icon from the top-left corner of the screen on the xFi mobile app or the top-right corner on the xFi web portal. Learn how to access the Notification Center on X1.
Gateway online screen, speech bubble located on top right
There are two types of xFi notifications: Network Access and Network Activity.

Network Access notifications alert you when a change is made that impacts access to your home network, including:
  • WiFi name/password changes
  • WiFi name changes from Broadcast to Hidden
  • WiFi name changes from Hidden to Broadcast
  • WiFi network security changes from Closed to Open
  • Network IP address changes
  • Gateway Factory Reset
Network Activity notifications alert you when a new device joins your home network for the first time.

How to Manage Notification Preferences

To manage your Notification Preferences, select the Gear icon from the Notification Center.

Note: Email and text message notification preferences can be managed from the xFi app or web portal. Push notification preferences can only be managed from the xFi app.
Notifications screen, gear icon located on top right
Note: To receive notifications, your email address and/or mobile number needs to be associated with your account in your My Account settings. If you have an email and/or mobile number in My Account, it will also display in the xFi Notification Center; however, you will need to visit your account to make any changes to this contact information.
Notification preferences screen, primary email and mobile number in middle
To opt in to receive notifications, simply select the desired notification type and the appropriate checkbox for Network Access and/or Network Activity notifications.
Push Notifications screen, network access and activity checkboxes to the right"
I know I personally was confused by these alerts when I first started receiving them. I know I also get confused when a new device connects and the name of the device appears different than the actual name of the device. I recommend if you are confused by the "BenuNetw-62D5" device type, spend some type reviewing recent devices you may have brought into your home and/or Google that device name. It always surprises me on how many different types of devices need a connection to the internet/wifi nowadays. 
I hope this helps. 
Official Employee

Hello, madman74. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums!

Can you please clarify what you are looking to accomplish? Are you wanting to permanently block this device or just stop receiving notifications every time it connects?

We look forward to your reply so we can assist you further.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

madman74, as I have not heard back from you in some time, I have closed this thread to further comments. I hope you were able to find the answers you were looking for in regards to managing your connected devices, but if you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!