Community Forum

Data Usage

New Poster

Data Usage

I'm going over my data usage amount before each month ends. With 2 tv's streaming with roku how much time per day can we watch without going over? I don't use wifi on phones and don't turn on computer very much. Can I find out which device is using the most data pr month? I thought streaming would be more cost effective than cable. Am I wrong? I need help!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data Usage

@wajandkjj1 wrote:
I'm going over my data usage amount before each month ends. With 2 tv's streaming with roku how much time per day can we watch without going over? I don't use wifi on phones and don't turn on computer very much. Can I find out which device is using the most data pr month? I thought streaming would be more cost effective than cable. Am I wrong? I need help!

I don't use this tool, but it might help you:

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/tools/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

I'm going through the same thing. I disabled the public hotspot before calling the Data Usage Escalation team and magically I went from using over 23GB/day to less than 7GB/day. Isn't the public hotspot not supposed to touch your network let alone your data? I remember a few months ago before I had my new modem/gateway combo (I had my own customer motorola sb standard modem) I connected to 2 tablets to an xfinity public hotspot that broadcasts in my building. Those 2 tablets were both set to view Twitch streams at 720p/1080p which ran from 1-12 hours a day. I went about my days as normal and I started getting data usage alerts. My data usage was going up significantly more with those 2 tablets running on the xfinity hotspot which deterred me from using them any further. This seems VERY suspicious. Literally nothing changed and now I'm using 1/3 of the data I was supposedly using before I called Comcast and proved to them their meter was complete garbage as my router logs and network monitoring tools tell an entirely different story.

Case in point that tool that was just provided is misleading. It counts 1 hour/day of 4k streaming as 240GB of data at the end of the month? Are you serious? I have a GoPro Hero Black 7 with a 256GB microsd card that saves uncompressed 4k UHD video and it calculates that with a 256GB card that equals 8 hours of 4k video. Even compressed I would be surprised if you get over 11 hours let alone the 30 hours that Comcast thinks you can get streaming 4k.

Gaming is 1020mb for 30 hours? Anybody whose actually done the measurements knows that videogames take up a very surprisingly small amount of data when online. The data usage is typically between 10-250mb per hour for games with games with known bad network code like Destiny *possibly* taking up close to a gig an hour. An average of 34mb/h is fine, but there should be a notation to not take the measurement seriously.

A full HD movie is about 700mb compressed on average. You'd maybe watch one Netflix movie in an hour. 700*30= 21GB, even with maybe Ads and the small amount of user data being uploaded back to Netflix's servers it wouldn't equal the 51GB that Comcast is calculating. Or you're saying the throughput for streaming is twice what the actual size of the file is?

2.8GB for 30 hours of social media? For the past 3 days I've been somewhat engaged using social media, surfing the web, etc. Looking at my Chrome cache, history, cookies, etc. it has 850mb stored after visiting maybe a hundred different webpages. On my phone I use facebook twitter, etc. those highly compressed 30 second -3 minute low resolution videos use hardly any data. We're talking 5-50mb per clip depending on length with a majority being on the lower end. With that being said on my phone alone I'm already a quarter of the way towards that 2.8GB, maybe even halfway (gotta take a look at the breakdown of wifi usage.)  

If you go by that tool depending on what you do, you'll either be way over your data usage (like with 4k streaming) or well below (normal HD video streaming.) There needs to be a serious revamping of how Comcast goes about data. These 1TB plans aren't working especially if the meters and tools used to calculate the data are all wrong. Not to mention all the shady business Comcast is engulfed in. If Comcast wasn't the only ISP my building has available I would switch in a heartbeat. Hopefully my building owner responds so we can get Google's Webpass in here. 

For years Comcast has been saying I use at least 300GB minimum a month with a recent overage of 2TB in December 2018! I work 12+ hours a day and when I get home I watch maybe one 30 minute Youtube video, watch maybe 1 hour of HD videos stored directly on my computer (they don't use data at all), eat and then sleep. I don't watch TV, at most I stream some podcasts every now and then. My entire music library is stored directly on my computer as well so no data usage there. I purposely go out of my way to not use much data. This is a single person they are saying is using 300GB-2TB of data in a month.  I have one computer that I use, that back in December 2017 it was RMA'd for 30 days yet Comcast still claimed I used 300GB of data. Before that I had a back and forth RMA with Asus that lasted 3 months. That's 3 MONTHS my computer was down, no usage at all yet Comcast claimed I was still averaging 300GB a month the entire time. There's no rogue devices, nobody has hacked me. Just upgrading my computer I've wiped it multiple times, no viruses or shady stuff going on. Comcast's meter is just plain wrong.

When they first started sending me notices about my 300GB monthly data usage years ago I saw the writing on the wall. After awhile they introduced the data plans and of course what followed was the uptick in data usage then the overage charges. If I want to stay on the wire I would have to switch to a business plan which for the same price I would only get 150mb speeds vs. the 1GB I have now as a consumer or pay Comcast another $50/month for this supposed "unlimited" plan. What an obvious ploy to make an extra buck. I might just ditch the wire, go with AT&T or Verizon's 5G home plans when they come out and deal with the latency.

New Poster

Same here, they been trying to get me to switch to the additional $50.00 for "unlimited" as well. Comcast is causing your data usage to go over so that the $50.00 "unlimited" might look more enticing, ts thier gimmic. If you look at all the devices connected to your account using the xfi app I bet there are devices you have no affiliation to. When I called their security department, they told me "seeing that it's not using data theirs nothing phishy about it and to simply remove the devices". So we removed all the devices, reset the password like we were told and then resigned only the devices in the household. Checked the xfi app a couple days later and guess what the devices that were connected to the account before which didnt belong to us were back on the xfi app again. When we called them back they told us the samething "not phishy since the devices are not using data, just remove them" Oh and by the way if you upgrade to the $50.00 more "unlimited" data usage, you wouldn't have to worry about going over. For the last 6 months this has been going on, so now we have cancelled with Comcast, switched to AT&T and I am not filing a complaint with the FTC. Comcast is adding devices to your account with out your knowledge, on the front end when you look at these devices they show they are not using data. On the back end this is where the extra usage is coming from, you as the consumer will not see this. It's Comcast way of pushing consumers to upgrade to the $50.00 additional "unlimited". We have been suscribed to 1TB of data allowed for the last 2 years and nothing has changed or been added to our devices that would cause the usage to go over. But, some how for the last 6 months we have been over charged for going over the data.

Regular Visitor

Following the data usage issue has been hilarious. I literally flew across the country and am on vacation for 2 weeks. On 01/28/19 I left my home and the usage was at 562GB. I've been across the county since, no one is at home, but the data usage went up to 590GB by the end of January WHILE NOBODY WAS HOME.

02/01/19 I remoted into my computer to sync about 20GB of video files over to it for about an hour. Checked on 02/02/19 and the data usage was 38GB for less than 20GB of files and a 1 hour 720p remote session.

Remoted in again on 02/02/19 and did some work for an hour, edited a few videos, wrote 2 blog articles. Checked on 02/03/19 and the data usage went up another 6GB from that 1 hour 720p session.

Seems like Comcast's meter is measuring about 10x what the actual usage is. Which seems about right since that tool was measuring at least 2-3x usage for HD streaming.
Frequent Visitor

I used the estimating tool that Xfinity has for us to estimate my usage. According to their own estimator, I should only be using 503.8 GB a month estimated, and I used rather conservative hours, input into their estimator ( took my typical use x 1.5) so I estimated my usage higher tha I actually use. I do not know what or who comcast uses to monitor data usage, but it is a joke, as they have shown my usage near or at the cap of 1TB for the last 2 months. Just look at the data below. Using their own tools. See my current usage.

This is funny too.. On March 1, 2019 my data reset. I can prove my system was out from 11:41pm, as it went down to what they said was a local outage. My cable came back on at 1:30am. Everyone was in bed, and systems in the house were off. At 6am when I checked the usage, it reported I had used 8gb of data between 1:30 am on the 2nd of March and 6am on the 2nd of March, by 11am that day I was up to 16GB used, and all the activity was only me, browsing the web about this problem. No TV (ROKU's) no music, no games, no tablets, nothing. It is now the 5th of march, they say I have used 132gb of data, and that is not 5 full days, even if I use 5 day as my divider, that equates to 26.4gb used a day, this is not possible. And Comcasts own estimator, if their estimator is wort a hill of beans, would still equate to 16.79gb a day for a full month averaging a 30 day month. Based on the usage screenshot for 5 days currently I am using 24.6, so where are they getting the extra 7.81gb used each day currently.

I spoke to reps, and their is no one on my system, I have and can verify every device, so I am not hacked, not being pirated, as was suggested, that is not happening in no way....

Additionally, if comcast is so firm in their belief that hey are right. Why are you no able to monitor usage through your router (the xfinity X1 router). There is no support in the router to view this, the router will not support 3 party monitoring software, in fact it blocks this, I have tried 4 different programs to no avail.

I have had Netgear and Cisco router and they all have had the availability to monitor traffic in and out, show usage, and show usage by device.

So I have to ask.. Comcast what are you hiding.

Oh and I am lucky on a good day if I get 150mbps...

Usage Estimator 1.pngUsage Estimator 2.pngUsage Estimator 3.pngData Usage Overview.png

Regular Visitor

I also have an issue with a sudden increase of data usage Comcast is saying we use. The middle of February I cancelled my cable service but kept the internet. Suddenly for the first time ever, my data usage exceeded the monthly limit. Nothing has changed in my household. Hoptspot is still off, same number of pc's, same phones, same amount of streaming, same number of people. Looking at my usage history for the last 6 months, it shows around 650gb a month. And here we are at the end of March and guess what? Same thing as February! I find it very interesting, frustrating and irritating that by canceling the cable service, my data usage sky rockets? Something is extremely wrong here!

Frequent Visitor

Yep Mine has been the same. They had me shown as using 893GB as of the 31st. And already have me having used 16GB as of the 1st of the month for April.

I actually changed to a higher internet speed 3 months ago, returned 2 set top boxes, I kept one for the wife, reduced the cable TV package to keep a few shows the wife likes. I never before that had data usage over 500gb, then it jumped to 1000GB for January,  1021GB used for Febuary,  899GB used for March. I have been printing my usage daily every 24HR period for March. I have many instances where they report like between 20GB and 36GB used in a 24HR period, and I work all day, my wife only watched TV on the set top box (no data usage there), she watches some things on her tablet. Many nights I do not watch TV on my ROKU downstairs till after 8pm for like 3  hours. I have even been using the XFINITY Stream App as that is not recorded as data usage from what I was told by Comcast. I sometimes watch Netflix, but maybe 3 or 4 shows, then to bed.

I have come to the conclusion it is a scam, they cap you at 1024GB, they say and average family should never exceed this. But I have been talking to people who went to 100% internet only and they had their usages double overnight. I know this is so that folks will get frustrated, scared into buying the $50.00 a month unlimited plan. Because I know there is no way I can literally double my usage, by watching a few shows. I know my Kids are not using that much data. Heck I did the calcs using their estimator and estimated high, and it still should not be high.

So I will just keep my recordings, and wait for the class action suit to form, and will join the thousands of folks getting worked over.

Frequent Visitor

Going to keep this updated through the month..

Using Comcast Xfinities Meter my useage is as follows:

• Reset 04/01/2019 Set to 1024gb
  • Usage 04/01/2019 to 04/02/2019 measured at 7:29pm on the 2nd said I used 16gb (no one was home 75% of the day) 1008gb remaining
  • Usage 04/02/2019 to 04/03/2019 measured at 7:29pm on the 3rd usage at 25gb, again no one is home but my wife, she does not stream, or download, and watches only few shows on either Xfinity Stream or the set top box in master bedroom, neither are supposed to be recorded as data usage. 983gb remaining.
  • Usage 04/03/2019 to 04/04/2019 measured at 6:15pm indicated I used 23gb, I did have a 5gb playstation update, watched 3 episodes of Agents of shield on Netflix, HD not 4k.
  • 04/04/2019/ to 04/05/2019 measured at 6:50pm indicated 40gb used for that 24hr period.. How is this possible, having watched 4 episodes of a show on netflix, grandson watched 2 episodes of a short kids show, and daughter maybe 1.5hr movie, on netflix.. 40gb no way!!!!!!!
Frequent Visitor

So just an update.. And I have been printing PDF files of my daily logs to keep a rescod every 24 to 48 hours. I am saving the files as Day/Time/Current Data Usage/Data Remaining/Time Period 24-48Houes/Actual Data Used from previous Day

• 04052019_650pm Data Usage 86gb Used ( 938gb remaining)(40gb 24Hrs)
  • 04062019_650pm Data Usage 112gb Used ( 912gb remaining)(26gb 24hrs)
  • 04072019_650pm Data Usage 152gb Used ( 870gb remaining)(42gb 24hrs)
  • 04092019_815pm Data Usage 183gb Used ( 841gb remaining)(29gb 48hrs)
  • 04102019_705pm Data Usage 196gb Used ( 828gb remaining)(13gb 24hrs)
Frequent Visitor

Well it has been a little while since I updated Aprils stats. Jus for record usage consists of on the average day

• I watch 3-4 episodes of one of my shows on either Netflix and or Prime, about 45 min each, oh and not in HD.
  • Grandson watches about 2 Hrs of kids shows (on xfinity stream) Supposed to not count.
  • Grandson uses about 3.5 hours Ipad time, mostly small youtube stuff.
  • Web browsing me: 2 hrs
  • Wife: 2hrs web browsing
  • Daughter 2-3 hours ROKU
  • Son mix of web and ROKU 2-3 Hours

Usage since last report:

• 04112019_705pm Data Usage 214gb Used ( 810gb remaining)(18gb 24hrs)
  • 0412-132019_705pm Data Usage 331gb Used ( 693gb remaining)(117gb 48hrs) Really!!!!!!!!
  • 04142019_941pm Data Usage 422gb Used ( 602gb remaining)(91gb 24hrs)
  • 04162019_941pm Data Usage 480gb Used ( 544gb remaining)(58gb 48hrs)
  • 04172019_615pm Data Usage 505gb Used ( 519gb remaining)(25gb 24hrs)
  • 04182019_640pm Data Usage 539gb Used ( 485gb remaining)(34gb 24hrs)
  • 04192019_640pm Data Usage 564gb Used ( 460gb remaining)(25gb 24hrs)

Honestly I don't see it...

Silver Problem Solver

@jvezirian wrote:

Well it has been a little while since I updated Aprils stats. Jus for record usage consists of on the average day

• I watch 3-4 episodes of one of my shows on either Netflix and or Prime, about 45 min each, oh and not in HD.
  • Grandson watches about 2 Hrs of kids shows (on xfinity stream) Supposed to not count.
  • Grandson uses about 3.5 hours Ipad time, mostly small youtube stuff.
  • Web browsing me: 2 hrs
  • Wife: 2hrs web browsing
  • Daughter 2-3 hours ROKU
  • Son mix of web and ROKU 2-3 Hours

Usage since last report:

• 04112019_705pm Data Usage 214gb Used ( 810gb remaining)(18gb 24hrs)
  • 0412-132019_705pm Data Usage 331gb Used ( 693gb remaining)(117gb 48hrs) Really!!!!!!!!
  • 04142019_941pm Data Usage 422gb Used ( 602gb remaining)(91gb 24hrs)
  • 04162019_941pm Data Usage 480gb Used ( 544gb remaining)(58gb 48hrs)
  • 04172019_615pm Data Usage 505gb Used ( 519gb remaining)(25gb 24hrs)
  • 04182019_640pm Data Usage 539gb Used ( 485gb remaining)(34gb 24hrs)
  • 04192019_640pm Data Usage 564gb Used ( 460gb remaining)(25gb 24hrs)

Honestly I don't see it...

You might try turning off all streaming devices when not in use.  I have seen reports in the Your Home Network forum about what I call leakage.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes I have actually done that. All the ROKU's there are (3) in the home are connected to power from the TV's they service, so when the TV is off, they are off.. No power, No ROKU. There are (2) desktop computers in the home. During the day they are pretty much idle, I use ming for general browsing and it serves as my PLEX server for movies and music. Other devices are (3) iPads thet connect on and off during the day. (1) for the wife, (1) for my grandson (1) I have and it is infrequently used. I have (1) PS4 and I do not play online games, although I have downloaded games (I record the data). Other devices include my daughter and my sons phones, they are gone to work like me much of the day.

My wife and data gets it use in the evenings. On the average I may watch (3) 1 hour shows on Prime or netflis, other wise I use Xfinity Stream (and they are counting the usage although they say it is not counted).

If you read the start of the post, I used their too and honestly I doubled my general usage, and per Comcast I should not be much over 500gb on the high end.

Data leakage, my god I am bleeding out, this is not leakage. I left on a trip for 3 days. I unplugged the wifi (after recording the usage) next day 28gb used. I thought ok, I will give them that, after all Comcast does say the readings they provide lag for 24 hours, so the next day remotely I went to my account. No one is in my home, alarm is on, WIFI is unplugged. Second day 34gb used, on the 3rd day before I returned home 25 gb used. How is this possible if the WIFI is unplugged (no power unplugged).

For the month of April they indicated my average usage was 28.933gb a day for 30 days using 868gb recorded by Comcast. On the lowest day it was 9gb used, on the highest was 117gb for a 24 Hour period.. 117gb (no download at all other than TV streaming..

I took my pictures (showing my WIFI was disconnected), and my receipts showing I was away to my local Comcast, they said their reporting was not wrong (really) and that my neighbors must be stealing my service... Really my neighbors.. All my neighbors next to me have stupid satalite.. I walked out laughing..

I have decided I will go wit it and just watch.. Eventually enough crys will be heard, and the government will look into it, and things will come out....