Community Forum

Data Usage

Regular Visitor

Data Usage

I am increasingly frustrated.  I have been trying to get the daily data usage by device and comcast cannot give it to me.  I have had comcast blast internet service for 30 months.  We have been averaging 300GB per month.  In the last month i was told my data was 1200GB.  No one finds this odd... it is me and my wife and they cannot tell me what devices were consuming what data per day but just that i miraculously went over 1TB.  

Anyone have any advice how you can see what devices are consuming data and how much?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data Usage

@mporcelli wrote:

I am increasingly frustrated.  I have been trying to get the daily data usage by device and comcast cannot give it to me.  I have had comcast blast internet service for 30 months.  We have been averaging 300GB per month.  In the last month i was told my data was 1200GB.  No one finds this odd... it is me and my wife and they cannot tell me what devices were consuming what data per day but just that i miraculously went over 1TB.  

Anyone have any advice how you can see what devices are consuming data and how much?

There is a large thread about the terabyte limit in the Your Home Network forum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Exact same thing happening to us - two people in the house, history of 300-400Gb/month for YEARS, nothing has changed - yet we're suddenly at 1500GB/mo. 

Regular Visitor

Same issue.  I needed to change to a new plan.  Ended up with what is supposed to be the same Internet speeds, etc.  The first month, after over 10 years of Comcast usage of well under the terabyte allowance, we are suddenly using more than our alloted amount.  Nothing different here in terms of our habits.

Frequent Visitor

Wow! Unbelievable. Smiley Sad  Sorry to hear that it is happening to others as well.

Not sure what to do - have thought about buying a modem/router etc but don't really want to if that doesn't help. Really can't afford to pay even more than I already am (especially when I KNOW we aren't using that much data!)  Smiley Sad

Ugh - this is happening at an especially bad time for me. 

I'll post back here if I find anything that helps.  I have sent messages to employees on this forum, but nobody has answered yet (first one sent was 10/30), although I see that they've answered other people's questions in a day or two.  

Silver Problem Solver

@stardusty wrote:

Wow! Unbelievable. Smiley Sad  Sorry to hear that it is happening to others as well.

Not sure what to do - have thought about buying a modem/router etc but don't really want to if that doesn't help. Really can't afford to pay even more than I already am (especially when I KNOW we aren't using that much data!)  Smiley Sad

Ugh - this is happening at an especially bad time for me. 

I'll post back here if I find anything that helps.  I have sent messages to employees on this forum, but nobody has answered yet (first one sent was 10/30), although I see that they've answered other people's questions in a day or two.  

My remote site backup was my culprit.  Others have mentioned Amazon backup also.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for the comment/insight!  I don't have any offsite backups going, but it's a good thing to keep in mind.  

New Poster

Same thing happened to me. I averted 500-600 a month for 2 years. Then all of a sudden I’m at 922 in a month, then 737 in 7 DAYS!! I’m never home and my spouse is also working all day. I was forced to get their modem/router so I could monitor my data useage. So far, xFi is telling me that all of my devices are usin 0%. Not sure how that works....I hope you can solve the mystery of how on earth two people can use over a TB in a month.
Silver Problem Solver

@AmberLeigh0927 wrote:
Same thing happened to me. I averted 500-600 a month for 2 years. Then all of a sudden I’m at 922 in a month, then 737 in 7 DAYS!! I’m never home and my spouse is also working all day. I was forced to get their modem/router so I could monitor my data useage. So far, xFi is telling me that all of my devices are usin 0%. Not sure how that works....I hope you can solve the mystery of how on earth two people can use over a TB in a month.

Have you seen this:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan

Regular Visitor

I know me too.  I am at 428G through 9 days of the month.  I did switch to DirecTV Now and have been streaming but i have it set to stream at 720P (which i believe is the lowest HD setting) and based on that the comcast site says that 1 TB should equal 700 hours of HD streaming per month (or 21 hours per day).  We have a little one so the tv is on during the day but i can absolutely say we sleep 8 hours a night so even if the TV were on 100% of the time we are awake (which is not true) that would be 8 hours of HD stream per day.... no way we come close to 700 hours.  

So frustrated.  Would appreciate any thoughts as to what i am doing wrong.  

Silver Problem Solver

@mporcelli wrote:

I know me too.  I am at 428G through 9 days of the month.  I did switch to DirecTV Now and have been streaming but i have it set to stream at 720P (which i believe is the lowest HD setting) and based on that the comcast site says that 1 TB should equal 700 hours of HD streaming per month (or 21 hours per day).  We have a little one so the tv is on during the day but i can absolutely say we sleep 8 hours a night so even if the TV were on 100% of the time we are awake (which is not true) that would be 8 hours of HD stream per day.... no way we come close to 700 hours.  

So frustrated.  Would appreciate any thoughts as to what i am doing wrong.  

Data usage has several threads in the Your Home Network forum.

Official Employee

Stephens91 and  Astrolopithicus, have you reached out to our CSA team in regards to your usage concerns? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!