Community Forum

Data Costs/Usage when there is no device using streaming

New Poster

Data Costs/Usage when there is no device using streaming

I am getting charge for Data Streaming whem all devices are not using streaming.  How can I be charged by Xfinity when I am not connected.  I also am at 100% of my Data allotment, so now I cannot watch Netflex.  Can anyone define what is STREAMING and how one can turn off streaming.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data Costs/Usage when there is no device using streaming

@afalsebealiever wrote:

I am getting charge for Data Streaming whem all devices are not using streaming.  How can I be charged by Xfinity when I am not connected.  I also am at 100% of my Data allotment, so now I cannot watch Netflex.  Can anyone define what is STREAMING and how one can turn off streaming.

If you have xFi, you should be able to see which devices are using the most data.  Look at the Profile that has the highest usage.

https://internet.xfinity.com/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

I monitor https://internet.xfinity.com/ but the total is 40% (ie highestuser 15%, 2ndhighest 10%, 3rd highest 9%, 4th highest 5%, 5th highest 1%, all the rest 0.1% <-- I do not have 600 users connected to modem using 0.1% each)

How do I monitor that other 60%?  

And why is the data usage presented in percentage? Why can't I see that highestuser used 2.8GB in the last 24 hours.  That data is necessary to calculate percentage, so why isn't it given?  

What does "Very High", High, etc mean, quantitatively, on the people profiles?

Frequent Visitor

I don't have the answer, but wish someone would explain it to me too. I also have no use for the percentages and just want to know how much data everyone is using.
Frequent Visitor

Does Xfinity/Comcast monitor this forum so that we can get answers or is it just another useless app that's supposed to make us feel good because we have a place to complain?
Silver Problem Solver

@angnor1963 wrote:
Does Xfinity/Comcast monitor this forum so that we can get answers or is it just another useless app that's supposed to make us feel good because we have a place to complain?

The Forums are user-to-user with Comcast Monitors and a few User Experts.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Guidelines/Xfinity-Forum-Guidelines/m-p/3115028#M1

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the information.
Regular Visitor

Streaming - a method of transmitting or receiving data (especially video and audio material) over a computer network as a steady, continuous flow, allowing playback to start while the rest of the data is still being received.

This can be any video, music, gaming, podcast, etc. If your listening to music you are streaming the music over whatever connection is turned on. Whether that be WiFi, 4G, or 3G. If your xFi App is saying a certain device is not actively using your WiFi; check the device to insure this is indeed the case. Many times I have devices actively using my home network yet the xFi App doesn’t list it on the connected device list. Also if your using an iPhone make sure you turn WiFi Assist off. With it on you are actively using both your cellular data and WiFi. To do this go to Settings/ Cellular/Scroll to the bottom and make sure the tab beside WiFi Assist is off.