Community Forum

Considering dropping Luma, but should I?

New Poster

Considering dropping Luma, but should I?

Before receiving my new XB6 router from Comcast, I was using an XFinity Technicolor Gb Router and a Luma mesh network for my home wifi.  Things were working just fine and all the kids were happy.  Now that I have XB6 I ordered 3 of the pods to try to mimic my Luma setup to see if I could remove it from my wifi landscape and go with XFi alone.  At this point in my testing, it doesn't seem like the performance of the XB6 in conjunction with the pods is equivalent.

My kids who are gamers that use an XBox One that is connected via ethernet cable to a Pod in the basement always complain about high ping times and lagging.  When they were using the same XBox connected via ethernet cable to the Luma node, they had no issues.

I have a far corner of the house that i had a Luma node placed and connected via wired Ethernet backhaul to the Luma Hub via MoCA adapter.  I had internet speeds upwards of 150 Mbps and kids were happy.  With the Xfi pods, they don't support wired ethernet backhaul...why not?  I believe the Plume pods do support this configuration, but the Xfi pods (made by Plume) do not.

I find that the Profiles, Bedtime, Parental controls are as good or better than what I had with Luma.

I find that the Xfi App and ability to also connect via desktop is superior to what I had with Luma.

How many pods are too many?  Should I buy another 3 pack and expect better coverage?

Can you buy Plume pods directly from Plume and use them with the Comcast equipment?

Is there a timeline to expect wired ethernet backhaul to be supported?

Thanks for any answers you can supply as I have had this XB6 router for about a week and I'm not sold that it's the system I want to use.

Also, I realize that there might be better options than Luma (Orbi, eero, etc), but let's save that for another thread Smiley Wink

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Considering dropping Luma, but should I?

erferris72, 

Please keep in mind the purpose of the xFi pods are to expand coverage in your home and not necessarily to improve internet speeds. The best speeds you'll see will always be connected directly to the modem. 

1. How many pods are too many?  Should I buy another 3 pack and expect better coverage?

This really depends on the size of your home. The further the pods are from the central modem, the weaker the signal. If you get an additional 3 pods, then you would be able to expand the coverage in your home if there are still dead spots. 

2. Can you buy Plume pods directly from Plume and use them with the Comcast equipment?

While Plume technology is a component of the new xFi pods, they are not Plume devices. If you buy plume pods they will not be integrated with xFi. 

3. Is there a timeline to expect wired ethernet backhaul to be supported?

No timeframe on this yet. 

KenF