Community Forum

Connecting at 2.4GHz instead of 5.0 GHz on Pods

Regular Visitor

Connecting at 2.4GHz instead of 5.0 GHz on Pods

When connecting to the Pods on my xFi system I can bounce between 2.4 & 5.0 GHz on both my iPhone and iPad sitting next to my Mac Desktop which stays always at a 5.0 connection. When I drop to the 2.4 connection my speed drops to avg of 30mbps but while on the 5.0 connection I get my normal 215 mbps speed.  I was told by Comcast CS that the Pods would increase my speed in my other rooms but these things have been a NIGHTMARE since putting them online.

I used to have my network split between speeds and would connect to the appropriate network with appropriate speed depending on the device requirements. Since I added the Pods a while back of course that is no longer and option and everything has to be comingled onto the single network.

Is there ANY way to force my devices to connect at the preferred 5.0 speed? How can I prevent such a huge speed decrease that my Video Conferencing app continuously drops connections?

Tags (2)
Official Employee

Re: Connecting at 2.4GHz instead of 5.0 GHz on Pods

dbutlerjr - Happy to pull up your account & troubleshoot.  Wondering if it's possible for you to disconnect the iPhone & iPad that were connecting to the 2.4 & reconnect to see if that helps?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I tried that and even did a forget this network. I reconnected and it still connected back at 2.4 GHz.
Highlighted
Official Employee

dbutlerjr - Thanks for reaching out.  To investigate further, I need some more information from you.   Can you please send me a Private Message and provide the mac addresses of the iPad and iPhone experiencing this issue?  You can send me a Private Message by clicking on my username and then on the blue "Send a Message" button on my profile page.

Thanks! Rachel

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

THANKS - Message Sent