Community Forum

Connecting an External HardDrive to New Advanced Xfi Gateway via Ethernet

Frequent Visitor

Connecting an External HardDrive to New Advanced Xfi Gateway via Ethernet

I just had the stylish, new Xfi Advanced Gateway installed as well as a fiber connection.   My WiFi speeds and coverage are better than ever.  No dead spots at all.  Was very happy.  

However, when I connected my external, media hard drive ( a WD MyCloud) drive via one of the two Gigabyte Ethernet ports it cannot be seen on the network as a connected device.   The new gateway will not recognize the connection even though it is hardwired.  This makes the whole setup useless.   The older, slower, weaker gateway had no issue with the plug and play network hard drive using one of the four Ethernet ports so wh is the new, better Advanced Gateway not able to.   Please help. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Connecting an External HardDrive to New Advanced Xfi Gateway via Ethernet

@smg33 wrote:

I just had the stylish, new Xfi Advanced Gateway installed as well as a fiber connection.   My WiFi speeds and coverage are better than ever.  No dead spots at all.  Was very happy.  

However, when I connected my external, media hard drive ( a WD MyCloud) drive via one of the two Gigabyte Ethernet ports it cannot be seen on the network as a connected device.   The new gateway will not recognize the connection even though it is hardwired.  This makes the whole setup useless.   The older, slower, weaker gateway had no issue with the plug and play network hard drive using one of the four Ethernet ports so wh is the new, better Advanced Gateway not able to.   Please help. 

It is possible the second port is disabled; I use an 8-port gigabit (apporx. $25) switch connected to my primary XB6 ethernet port and I have 20+ ethernet and wifi devices working just fine.

You can use the admin tool to see the status of your ethernet ports.

"LAN Ethernet Port 1.jpg

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for responding but I only have this Network hard drive plugged into the first (left) ethernet port. I am bit even using the second one. Also, when logging in. Ia 10.0.0.1 it shows the post as active but does not show the connected device. I am not sure how a switch would help as it is not an issue of running out of ports. The issue is that the gateway will not recognize the device.
Silver Problem Solver

@smg33 wrote:
Thanks for responding but I only have this Network hard drive plugged into the first (left) ethernet port. I am bit even using the second one. Also, when logging in. Ia 10.0.0.1 it shows the post as active but does not show the connected device. I am not sure how a switch would help as it is not an issue of running out of ports. The issue is that the gateway will not recognize the device.

So you are using ethernet to ethernet to the WD drive?  I have never tried an external drive with my network.

Do you have to run Setup after you install it?

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=5722

https://files.mycloud.com/setup

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I should not need to run the setup but, funny enough, did anyway but it cannot be ran because it cannot be seen on the network making it impossible to run since the hard drive does not have its own keyboard, screen or wifi card. You would need it to be connected to the network to run. I hope that makes sense and yes, the ethernet is set up exactly as the link you provided. I have also tried three different cables just to rule that out too.
Silver Problem Solver

@smg33 wrote:
I should not need to run the setup but, funny enough, did anyway but it cannot be ran because it cannot be seen on the network making it impossible to run since the hard drive does not have its own keyboard, screen or wifi card. You would need it to be connected to the network to run. I hope that makes sense and yes, the ethernet is set up exactly as the link you provided. I have also tried three different cables just to rule that out too.

Thank you for that information; the next thing I would try is to contact WD Support; I am using the Netgear Orbi and they were able to answer many Comcast-related questions.