Community Forum

Connected devices show as not connected.

Frequent Visitor

Connected devices show as not connected.

Occasionally I try to use my Xfi app to check my network to see if my devices are connected to 5ghz or 2.4ghz. Generally the app shows about half of my 6 devices as DISconnected, even though each device shows that it is connected to WiFi and functioning normally. How do I get all my connected devices to show up as connected.
Official Employee

Re: Connected devices show as not connected.

Hi WillisC, are you using any sort of an extender?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

No extenders.  And it doesn't make any difference if I disconnect the device from WiFi and then reconnect.  It shows on the list, but as "unconnected".

Official Employee

Thank you for that answer. I can assist you.

So that I can take a look at your account, please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary email address. Please click on my name to see my profile, and then hit the blue "Send Message" button.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

What was the resolution? I am seeing the same thing.

Frequent Visitor

There was no resolution initially, but in the past week or so all my devices have begun showing up as connected.  Don't know what changed; nothing at my end.

New Poster

We are having the same problem. How do we go about correcting it?

Frequent Visitor

Don't know.  For me it corrected itself without any tweaks on my part.

Contributor

It shows my iPhone is not connected... but I'm using that device to ACCESS the gateway!!

My guess is that there will be an update to this buggy app real soon now.

Contributor

There has been an update to the app but it still shows my iPhone 7 as "not connected"  which makes no sense since I'm using THAT PHONE  to monitor the network! How can the iPhone not be connected and still show all the other devices, etc.?

We had an outage last week and the gateway resynced (maybe it re-booted?) when the line came back (after about an hour... outages have been rare here... we love Comcast... get service!) So I thought that might 'fix' the iPhone Xfin app.... but it didn't. 

I have no faith in the integrity of the app and as such I won't use it for anything. It is just as easy to login to the gateway via the browser  via http://10.0.0.1 and administrate from there.  

Al

New Poster

Hi, I have the exact same problem. What is an extender?
Valued Contributor

Was there ever a solution to this?  I am having the same problem, no Pods, no extenders, just the gateway.

Thanks.

Contributor

I've not heard of a solution. I'm a iPhone software developer and I have some ideas as to what the probem is.... it could be a whole host of things... and without seeing the code I would not venture my guess in public. I'm sure they will find it and fix it. It is not like it is a high priority app for any of us.

Valued Contributor

Well for Comcast, it's a high priority app.. and since this problem deals with iPhones, which is sorta a popular phone, I would suggest they fix it.

The xFi app is NO good if we can't do what it says we can with it.  How can we control a childs WiFi usage on an iPhone if it says never connected, but it is!?

Contributor

@joey12volt wrote:

Well for Comcast, it's a high priority app.. and since this problem deals with iPhones, which is sorta a popular phone, I would suggest they fix it.

The xFi app is NO good if we can't do what it says we can with it.  How can we control a childs WiFi usage on an iPhone if it says never connected, but it is!?

Can you do any of this from the gateway itself via http://10.0.0.1 ?  Or maybe from the Xfinity account on the web? I thought this app was just a substitute for direct administration of the gateway box via the 10.0.0.1 interface.

Official Employee

Hi all, 

We're sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue with xFi. We would like to dig into these; next time you observe this happening can you please capture the below items and send to me in a Private Message? I can then forward to the team for investigation into this issue.

- A screenshot of xFi showing with the incorrect Offline status

- A screenshot of the device's WiFi connection showing the device is connected to your home network

- Date and Time of occurrence

OR 

- A screenshot of xFi showing with the incorrect Online status

- A screenshot of the device's WiFi connection showing the device is not connected to your home network

- Date and Time of occurrence

New Poster

I have been having the same problem. I would love to send you the requested information except I don’t know how to send you a private message
Silver Problem Solver

@Lisabev wrote:
I have been having the same problem. I would love to send you the requested information except I don’t know how to send you a private message

Click on the name and the popup has a Send Message on the right side.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

@Al8041 wrote:
<<snip>>
It is just as easy to login to the gateway via the browser  via http://10.0.0.1 and administrate from there.  

Except when you Admin console screens LITERALLY takes 7-10 muntes per screen to load.  On the brand new super fancy gateway they are using.  Sigh.  I like a lot about the xFi interface (except that it was released woefully lacking in feature parity which seems silly) but would kill for decent Admin Console access.

Contributor

My Arris gateway screen comes up using 10.0.0.1 in a few seconds so I don't know what the issue is with yours. I run an iMac on macOS High Sierra. 

Now my Accounts app says the gateway is not connected!!!  So according to these apps my iPhone is not connected to the gateway and the gateway is not connected to the internet... both are totally false. 

I've given up on both apps. I don't trust either of them. 

Frequent Visitor

My screens are excritiatingly slow.  This is across multiple computers, multiple browsers, multiple OSes, via mobile browsers, firewalls and AV turned off.  This happens on my gateway and my 2 neighbors gateways (I help them with their stuff).   This has happened across multiples of the same gateway model (exchanged hardware) and across various models of gateways over the years.  Sometimes it will get better for a short period of time immediately after a gateway reboot, but that's about it.   The delays are also not consistent in length.  Sometimes a screen will come up in 30 seconds, sometimes in 4 or 5 minutes (most common) sometimes 7 or 8 minutes.  Some screens do seem sort of more consistently faster, but the ones that I want to use are not any of them. 

I'm not the only one with this issue.  I have researched this numerous times over the years to no avail.

I wrote this entire response waiting for the "connected devices" config screen to load.

Also, I too have been having the same issue with devices not showing connection status properly on occasion.  This seems to be a relatively new thing, in the past few months for me, but I admit that I don't usualy look at connection status too often as it isn't a super vital thing for me (I don't use bedtime nor parental controls, etc).

Contributor

This is very strange.... especially over many different pieces of equipment, browsers, and equipment.

Are you connecting over ethernet or wi-fi? If ethernet maybe try a different Cat 6 cable?

What model of Gateway do you have, or are these separate modems and routers?

What does Comcast support say? 

Have them come out and bring a new box and see if it is slow for them? 

Keep us apraised.

Valued Contributor

How to send screen shots. Its happening now.
New Poster

Thank you. I have sent them everything and they replied saying they would forward it to their engineers.
Contributor

@Lisabev wrote:
Thank you. I have sent them everything and they replied saying they would forward it to their engineers.

I did that eariler... and so far no results. I doubt it is a high priority item for their software developers.

New Poster

I've had the same problem since I first started using the xfi app. My kids iPhone always shows not connected. It seems to connet briefly then switches to not connected. But I can see her using it the whole time! It's an iPhone 7. I can see that many others have had this issue. Just wondering if anyone ever got an answer.
New Poster

Btw, I also tried looking at the admin panel at 10.0.0.1. It aslo shows the iPhone as offline, and yes it is online right now.
Silver Problem Solver

@Pengi18 wrote:
Btw, I also tried looking at the admin panel at 10.0.0.1. It aslo shows the iPhone as offline, and yes it is online right now.

I've had the xFi feature since it first became available in my market.

I've never found any use for knowing whether a device is connected or not.  What can I use it for?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I can only speak for myself, but my husband and I attempt to use it to monitor my kids data usage and time spent on the internet/their devices, of course that’s if the app actually worked.