Community Forum

Connected devices show as not connected.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Connected devices show as not connected.

Just because one customer apparently resolved has issue, doesn't mean all of us have!  I for one am still having this problem where devices are connected but do not show as connected. It is a BIG problem when I am trying to monitor what my kid is doing on the Internet. I use the Gateway, not the app.  It sounds like they both have the same issue.

I know Comcast must be really anxious to close this ticket because, afterall, the issue has been going on for over 10 months(!!!) and that's pretty embarrassing, but there has not been a resolution communicated.  All it looks like is that  Comcast wants to close this without fixing it. If it is fixed, please explain what your engineers did to fix it.  My guess is nothing.

Contributor

I wonder if this might be device related. Lisa, what device are you running the app on? Apple or Android? What devices show as not connected?

Frequent Visitor

The only devices that consistently and correctly show they are connected are my laptop (connected via Ethernet) and my Samsung Galaxy 8 phone (connected via wireless).  Our other devices, which include a Macbook Air, an iPad, an iPhone and my husband's Samsung Galaxy 8, typically show as offline, even when they are being used at that very moment.  So, it seems that it doesn't matter whether they are Androids or Apples.

Also, in the past when we have gone on each device and had it "forget" the network and then reconnect, it might show as connected for a very short time, but it soon shows as offline again.

To look at the status of the connected devices, I got to http://10.0.0.1.

If the devices do not show as connected (which is usually the case even when they are connected), the parental restrictions do not work. So, it is actually a big deal!

Contributor

Lisa... you are right!

My new iPhone which was shown to be connnected the other day is no longer connected. It does not show at either 10.0.0.1 or on the Xfi app itself. 

The iPhone Xs is on the same table as the gateway!!! 

I'm a software engineer (https://newmediacreate.com) ... and if I had eight days with the code I'd figure out the problem.

Comcast engineers have had eight months and have given us update after update and they still have not fixed it.

Don't get me wrong. I love Comcast. We get excellent service in our area. I pay them $143 a month for TV and Internet and I'm good with that. But I have to tell you, this issue does not give me a lot of faith in their software engineering and I'm to the point where I'm just going to delete the app and either find a 3rd party app that does the same thing (if there is one) or just live without it. The app is a convenience, not a necessity and I have more important things to spend my time on . 

I hope Comcast fixes it, but my confidence at this juncture is very low that they ever will. 

I wish them well.

Al

Frequent Visitor

AI,

Thanks for confirming that you are still experiencing the same thing I am.  When Comcast said they were going to close the ticket, I'm like WHAT??

Last night, I had my husband "forget" the network on his Samsung 8, and relog into the wireless.  Sure enough, his phone is showing as being offline, even though he's online.  My daughter did the same thing with her Macbook today.  Still showing as offline, even though she's online.

Comcast, PLEASE GET THIS ISSUE ADDRESSED!!  The parental controls don't work when the device is showing as offline, but the device is actually online.  I don't know how many times I have to say the same thing.

Thank you!!

Contributor

I'm still having the same issue also....it is not fixed..at least for me.

And now, I am experiancing "Settings currently unavailable" when using the Xfi app or the Xfi webpage...

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

FYI, I use the connected devices feature of my XB6 Gateway (10.0.0.1 admin password) to see which devices are connected to it.  And it matches what xFi has.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

FYI, I use the connected devices feature of my XB6 Gateway (10.0.0.1 admin password) to see which devices are connected to it.  And it matches what xFi has.

Yes, I see the same items as connected when accessing the gateway via the browser as I do on the iPhone app. Both show my iPhone as NOT connected even though the iPhone is on the same table as the gateway. 

Official Employee

**Reposting this from another related thread**

Hi All,  I would like to offer my apologies for the delay in this issue getting resolved. I understand the impact this may have had over the past months, but the teams have been working on this.

For customers with xFi Pods, the issue is resolved. If you are still seeing this issue please let us know and we can investigate.

For customers without xFi Pods, the issue is in the process of being fixed for each Gateway model. Customers with an Arris 3482G should see resolution over next few weeks.

I will provide updates on the other Gateway models when available.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I just checked my modem and the model number is ARRIS TG 1682G.

I definitely have this "connected devices" problem, and if you could let me know when it's resolved for this model, that would be great.

Or if I should go swap it for a different model that works, let me know which one to get.  We haven't had this one for very long -- less than a year, I think.

Frequent Visitor

Still having issue. Neither the X1 app via iPhone nor logging in directly to the Gateway, display some of the devices that are online..iPad, Macbook, iPhone. Not even during an Xfinity speed test started from within the X1app on a specific
device, will the device register as being on the network.
Official Employee

KR9, it looks like we'll be rolling out updates to correct this soon. 

"For customers without xFi Pods, the issue is in the process of being fixed for each Gateway model. Customers with an Arris 3482G should see resolution over next few weeks.

I will provide updates on the other Gateway models when available."

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

What about the Arris Model TG1682G.  Will the forthcoming fix apply to this model as well?  Thanks

New Poster

Several of my devices show as not connected, even though they are connected and can access the Internet on my network. Obviously those devices are connected since they on the network and able to access the XFi settings, the Internet, etc. When I login to 10.0.0.1 on some of my devices, they show up as not connected.

The problem with all of this is that when a device is connected, but shows up as not connected, then parental controls don’t work on those devices. I bought the XFi Gateway and the pods because of the parental controls, so this upsets me greatly. I have tried forgetting the devices and this works for a short time, but eventually, several of the devices end up showing as disconnected, even though they are connected.

Official Employee

@ComcastBrittany wrote:

Hi All,  I would like to offer my apologies for the delay in this issue getting resolved. I understand the impact this may have had over the past months, but the teams have been working on this.

For customers with xFi Pods, the issue is resolved. If you are still seeing this issue please let us know and we can investigate.

For customers without xFi Pods, the issue is in the process of being fixed for each Gateway model. Customers with an Arris 3482G should see resolution over next few weeks.

Hi all, 

This issue has been 100% resolved on all Arris 3482G and Technicolor CGM4140COM Gateways. 

I do not have a date yet for the fix on the Arris 1682G and Cisco 3941T Gateways, but I will keep you updated. 

Contributor

Thank you.  Please keep us informed as to the progress.  A message of 'still working on it' is better then not hearing anything....

New Poster

The issue has not been resolved for my Technicolor CGM4140COM. I restarted the gateway and still have several devices that are connected, but are showing as not connected (consequently, parental controls don't work).

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastBrittany wrote:

@ComcastBrittany wrote:

Hi all, 

This issue has been 100% resolved on all Arris 3482G and Technicolor CGM4140COM Gateways. 

I do not have a date yet for the fix on the Arris 1682G and Cisco 3941T Gateways, but I will keep you updated. 

I still have many devices that have never appeared as connected on my Arris 3482G:xFi Not connected.jpg

(there are more, but you get the idea)

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Hi folks, 

Please send me a private message with your name if you still cannot see your devices on the Arris 3482G and Technicolor CGM4140COM and I'll alert tech ops on your behalf. 

Ken

New Poster

Can you please tell me how to private message you? When I click on your name, I do not see the “send message” button. Thanks in advance.

Silver Problem Solver

@pschlag wrote:

Can you please tell me how to private message you? When I click on your name, I do not see the “send message” button. Thanks in advance.

It is on the right side and sometimes difficult to see.Send a message-3.jpb.jpg

Official Employee

pschlag, got your message. Thanks for your help, RobertWy.

New Poster

New customer for less than a week. Have an xb3 router and have numerous items show as disconnected although they are not. Not very impressed with the xfi app. Old att app did a better job of keeping track of connected items.
Official Employee

Ddulson, thanks for letting us know about your missing connected devices on the xFi app. Are you using xFi pods or additional routers or extenders? 

New Poster

No pods. I do have a powerline but the items that use that show as being connected.
Official Employee

Thanks for that info. Are the devices that aren't "connected", assigned to a profile? 

New Poster

Some are and some are not
Silver Problem Solver

@Ddulson wrote:
Some are and some are not

I don't have the Pods, but I have some devices that say they aren't connected but I am still able to use my wifi on those devices.  I stopped worrying about this issue.