Community Forum

Connected Devices Not Showing

Regular Visitor

Connected Devices Not Showing

I have seen this topic elsewhere but have yet to find a solution. I currently have 6 devices connected to my network. 1 via Ethernet and the other 5 via WiFi. Yet when I use my xFi App or go to my modem Configuration Page it’s only showing 2 devices being connected. The Ethernet device always shows and one WiFi device is showing but the other 4 connected devices connected via WiFi aren’t showing on either as connected even though they clearly are. I have rebooted my modem, uninstalled/reinstalled xFi, and renewed lease on all WiFi connected devices and nothing helps. I don’t seem to be the only customer having this issue and it’s becoming a real hassle. My kids are able to get around the parental features as well as time limits all because their connected devices aren’t showing up on my network. This is a huge issue that needs to be addressed as I am sure like any parent; I don’t want my 15 year old daughter up till 3am on a school night using her iPhone. That’s why I intrusted Xfinity and use the parental/time restraints offered on xFi and modem Configuration Page. Someone; please help. I’m at my wits end and don’t know what else to do beyond just disconnecting the internet at night. And before I am asked; yes, I checked all connected devices to ensure that they were indeed connected to my home network on each device. So the issue isn’t the devices. It’s with the network, modem, and xFi app.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Connected Devices Not Showing

As you stated, this seems to be a major new issue likely cropped up in some recent firmware updates for the routers (Comcast is pretty mum on this but it's the obvious culprit).  I am right now browsing the internet with my phone which is connected to my Wi-Fi and the xFi and Admin console screens both list that device as not connected.  My other phone is by my side and has the WiFi turned off for the past half hour and it still shows up as connected in xFi and VERY oddly doesn't show up AT ALL in the Admin Console screens (neither connected nor disconnected).  It's amazing a bug this huge got out of Philly wihout being noticed, they should at least do a rollback on the routers until they get this fixed as this is a big issue.  Comcast seemed like they were on a roll for a while a few years ago, but lately they are really dropping the ball on a number of fronts.

New Poster

I am having the same issue. It shows that my phone is not connected when it clearly is. It makes me wonder if things that are “not connected “ really are.
Silver Problem Solver

@RobinTW wrote:
I am having the same issue. It shows that my phone is not connected when it clearly is. It makes me wonder if things that are “not connected “ really are.

My XB6 gateway appeared in my xFi app yesterday; it shows a not connected.

I have a total of 23 devices not connected, including all my X1 STB's and my family's phones that aren't on the premises.

Each day, my number of connected devices varies from 13 to 17+.

I have no idea why devices show as not connected.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

If you are still experiencing this issue, we would like to look into it further.

Can you please send me a screenshot of xFi showing the device in the wrong status, as well as a screenshot from the device at that same time showing that it is connected to your home network?

In addition to those, I would need to know the date and time that these screenshots were captured (timestamp I can usually get from the screenshots, but please include it just in case). 

Thanks!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

How do I send you a screenshot?
New Poster

you DUM

Contributor

I am also experiencing this issue..

New Poster

Same here. People are connected to my net and their devices aren't even showing up for me to restrict or anything.

Contributor

The "new device connected to your network" alert is also not working...

Regular Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue all the others are talking about.  I have a snapshot of my daughter's phone connected to our Wifi, but from the xFi app, it shows as disconnected. To repeat the question asked - how do we send or post snapshots?  I can't find a method from my phone, so I switched to a laptop and while there is an "insert image" link, the form that comes up doesn't allow you to browse and select images to attach to the post. @ComcastBrittany, can we send snapshots to you at an email address?

Official Employee

When using a web browser from a mobile device, you should see a link "Choose Files" from there you can upload images from your phone/tablet. 

When using a laptop you should see a button for "Photos" with a camera icon. If you selece there, there should be a "Choose Files" button that you can use to upload a picture from that way. 

Hope this helps. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Daniella,

All I see from my browser when I reply to a post is a form that has two fields, the subject and the body. I can paste text into the body but no pictures. On the laptop I saw and clicked on the icon to attach files or images but the form it brings up doesn’t have a way to browse to the files. One field in the form asks for a path to the file but doesn’t give any guidance how to specify the path to files. I tried “C:/“ and something like “file:...” but neither worked.
Contributor

I had the same problem finding how also. Sign into your account.  

1. Click Here to go to Daniela's profile.
  2. Top right - click Send Message.
  3. You will see the camera icon in the ribbon.

Hope this helps

Regular Visitor

@HeyDaddy, thanks for that info, however that camera icon is the icon I was referring to in my last post. When I click that icon, for whatever reason the form that pops up doesn't seem to allow me to enter a path to a picture. It gives me four fields - Source, Description, Dimensions and X. In the Source field is where I tried a variety of paths to pictures on my hard drive, but when I tried to look at the HTML or Preview versions of the message, it shows a broken link icon, not my picture. I'm guessing I'm missing something, or maybe should be using a different browser, because whatever I'm doing isn't allowing me to attach pictures.
Regular Visitor

Looks like it's the browser. Works with IE, but not Edge.
New Poster

Lots of people seem to be experiencing this issue. What has been the resolution? I am experiencing it right now. Hard to control your kids WiFi when the app doesn’t work.
New Poster

Same problem here.  I'm showing all my devices as Not Connected including the one I'm using now.   This is ridiculous!  What's the point Xfinity?  This advertised feature is useless. 

New Poster

Having same problem. Why is no solution posted yet?
Frequent Visitor

Same problem. Comcast Brittany are you still working on this?
New Poster

Glad it's not just me but wonder if it will ever get fixed Comcast hasnt even been able to remotely restart my gateway lately no devices are showing connected which means I can't port forward the devices i want
New Poster

I have this same problem, missing devicesm devices not connected. worthless app. Comcast: are you actively solvingthis problem?

New Poster

I’m having the same problem intermittently for a while now. I haven’t tried using the parental controls feature but it was a problem when I just tried to troubleshoot a disconnect. I’ve been working on my laptop all day. All of a sudden, it disconnects from VPN. So I start investigating, the computer says it’s connected to Wi-Fi but no internet. Cell phone is working fine. I pull up iPhone app and it says the laptop is not connected. My iPhone is also not listed as connected even though it so obviously is. While I’m doing this, randomly the laptop gets back online. But there’s no update to connected devices on the XFi app. I did nothing but literally just wait. It is frustrating if you can’t actually rely on whether a device is connected or not.
New Poster

I'm having the same issue. Just replaced my router (for other reasons, it crapped out and wouldn't power on, less than a year old btw) and there's no change to the problem.

My Apple TV (which isn't on) shows up; my Chromecast (kind of always on in sleep mode I think) shows up; and my laptop (on) shows up. My iPhone, which has the app on it, doesn't show up.

Sounds like this has been a problem for at least six months based on this thread. Any resolution yet, Comcast?

Official Employee

Hi brhiba, I would gladly help review this further on my side for you.  Please send me a private message with your full name to begin.

Thank you 

New Poster

I'm gonna throw out an answer to this which I would be willing to wager is the answer to the question as to how many devices are connected, although in regards to them bypassing the parental filters you can probably blame that on VPN. Yes your kids know how to download a VPN to bypass parental filters, I guarantee it. 

Aside from filtering, in a nutshell, you will see device count fluctuate quite often when any of the devices are in some sort of "power saving mode". You may have 5 phones added to the wifi but that doesn't mean they're all talking to the internet. Laptops and phones in particularly will almost always have momentary pauses in network activity because they're not actively using data and will basically turn off wifi to conserve power.

If you wanted to test this theory, get 4 devices on your network (laptops or phones) then use command line or an app for phones to ping something like google non-stop. I'll bet you a dollar that your device count stays at 4 the entire time those devices are pinging google.

New Poster

I"m having the same issue. I can see some devices connected, and others aren't. Right now this PC I'm using says it's not connected. Could be a firewall issue I'm guessing, but for mobile devices, that wouldn't seem to be the case.

And like previous users, the camera button does not allow me to attach anything.

Official Employee

Hello rmjones10. Thanks for visiting and posting on the Forums. I can assist with troubleshooting your connected network devices not showing up. Please send me a private message and include your full name so I can assist you. 

New Poster

Same here... solution?
Frequent Visitor

Let's keep this thread alive. Same problem for me. Anyone at Comcast working on this?

Official Employee

Hello, all, I would be happy to help. Because this is not a known issue, we would need to troubleshoot this on a case-by-case basis. Please feel free to reach out to me in a PM to research this further together. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

Official Employee

Hi all, I would like to offer my apologies for the delay in this issue getting resolved. I understand the impact this may have had over the past months, but the teams have been working on this.

For customers with xFi Pods, the issue is resolved. If you are still seeing this issue please let us know and we can investigate.

For customers without xFi Pods, the issue is in the process of being fixed for each Gateway model. Customers with an Arris 3842G should see resolution over next few weeks.

I will provide updates on the other Gateway models when available.