Community Forum

Choosing which Device uses 2.4 v. 5.0

New Poster

Choosing which Device uses 2.4 v. 5.0

My xFi network is currently set to determine which option will give me best results. I just bought a Withings scale which connects to the network on 2.4 ONLY. Is there a way to have everything use 5.0 and just have the scale use 2.4? And if I was to change entire network to 2.4 (to get scale to connect) will that decrease my speed? I live alone and currently getting 900+ Ethernet 300+ wireless. I have gigabit Ethernet and AppleTV 4K and the speed is great. I don’t want to sacrifice the speed just to use a scale. Is there a way to make this work. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Official Employee

Re: Choosing which Device uses 2.4 v. 5.0

You may have to manually separate your networks and then change your devices to use the 5 network. Unless you have pods.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Choosing which Device uses 2.4 v. 5.0

Hi @Marcsnyder121, the other option if you would like to keep your 2.4 and 5 GHz combined would be to follow these steps:

1. When connected to your home network, open a web browser and login to the Gateway Admin page (10.0.0.1). If you have never logged into this before, the default user name and password would be 'admin' and 'password'. You will be prompted to change the password. 
  2. Once logged in, select Connection and then WiFi
  3. Select EDIT at the end of the row for the 5 GHz Frequency Band
  1. Select Disable and then SAVE SETTINGS
  2. Connect your device and complete any setup required
  3. Go back into the Admin Tool and re-enable the 5 GHz band.

During this time, the devices connecting to your network using the 5 GHz network, may drop offline but should reconnect when you re-able that band or you may need to reconnect those devices. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!