Community Forum

Can you lock a device to the gateway or an individual pod?

New Poster

Can you lock a device to the gateway or an individual pod?

First is there agreement that the individual pods do NOT have the full bandwidth (wireless) as the gateway? Secondly, can a device (Roku) be locked to the gateway so it does not automatically switch to a pod? I am having issues with buffering when streaming TV via Roku when connected to a pod, however, when the Roku is connected directly to the gateway (wireless) I do not have the buffering issue. This would imply that the pods do not have the same bandwidth as the gateway (again all in wireless mode) I do have one Roku device with tv connected via ethernet and this also works fine (no buffering)

New Poster

Re: Can you lock a device to the gateway or an individual pod?

I have the same question forum moderators.  WiFi camera installed 10 feet from the router but it connects to a pod downstairs and separated by 30 feet horizontally.

Official Employee

Pods are not intended to provide the maximum speed of your Internet speed tier throughout your home. For example, if you have a speed tier that provides download speeds up to 200 Mbps, Pods will not provide that speed throughout your home. Rather, Pods will help extend your WiFi network and allow you to connect in areas where you could not previously get WiFi.

Your Gateway and Pods will work together to sort out the best connection point (Gateway/Pod) and best connection type (2.4 or 5 GHz) for your devices at any given time.

@gkroeger, I was able to pull up your account and it looks like your pods may benefit from better placement. Can you please try repositioning your pods?

The first Pod should be placed with at least one room separating it from your compatible xFi Gateway (within approximately 20 to 30 feet). Your remaining Pods should be plugged into outlets throughout your home, evenly spaced from each other and the Gateway to ensure even coverage. Pods should be plugged into open outlets, clear from furniture and bigger electronics that may cause interference.

After repositioning, it may take up to 24 hours for your network to fully optimize.

@graile, your network looks okay. Are you experiencing issues with the camera?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@ComcastBrittany  Thank you for your prompt reply.  I'm having consistent connection issues with this 2.4GHz camera when trying to access the live feed or stored video.  Is there a way to designate that I'd like the camera to connect to the gateway instead of a distant Pod?  I was hoping through an IP or MAC address "reservation" but I'm not fully aware of the gateway's capabilities.

Official Employee

The best way that you could ensure that the camera is connecting to the Gateway instead of a Pod would be to connect it via ethernet to the Gateway. You mentioned it's about a 10 foot distance between the two, would it be possible to run an ethernet cable? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I appears you did not understand my question. My problem is that one of my TV's (main TV is connected via ethernet and works fine) keeps switching from gateway to various pods. Everytime it connects to a pod I experiance constant buffering. This buffering does not occur when connected to the gateway. Thus my question whether a device (my TV) can to locked to the gateway. In order to prevent my TV from switching to a pod, I have move all the pods as far from the TV as possible.

Official Employee

Hi gkroeger, if a device is connected via ethernet to either the Gateway or the Pod, it should use that ethernet connection. Only devices connected via WiFi can switch from Gateway to Pod(s) and vice versa. 

Has your main TV ever been connected to your network via WiFi? If so, it's possible that the TV is jumping to WiFi if/when the ethernet connection drops.

If it has previously been connected via WiFi, but you would like it to always use the ethernet connection to the Gateway, I would recommend going into the TV settings and disabling WiFi (or forgetting the network). 

Can I ask how you are confirming that the switch from Gateway to Pod is happening on your TV? Are you viewing the connection point change in xFi's Device Details or through the Gateway's connected devices lists on the Network tab?

If you would like me to take a look into this for you, please send me the TV's MAC address in a private message and we can look into it. 

Regular Visitor

@ComcastBrittany 

I recently purchased 3 xFi pods to mesh with my xFi gateway. I purchased these for the purpose of helping out the WiFi connections to roku devices around the house. Originally, when the rokus were connected directly to the gateway, the download speed was very slow, although the streaming quality was okay. WIth the xFi Pods, that download speed on the roku is about 10 times as high as when connected to the gateway. I would expect these rokus to do better with the pods since the higher download speed, but when streaming any video regardless of which app (xfinity stream, netflix, etc.) , the video quality suffers much more when connected to the pods, even though the higher download speed. Although, this syptom is more amplified in the xFinity stream app.

Is there anything I can do about this? The xFinity stream apps on the rokus connected to pods also crash constantly, about every 15 minutes. This doesn't occur if I force the connection to the gateway just by unplugging the pod the roku is connected to.

When my phone or laptop are in the same vicinity of these rokus, they have a very high download speed compared to just the gateway, so I can see the pods helping my other devices greatly, and I can stream content or browse the web much better than before. 

Another question I had is if I can assign a roku to a specific xFi pod? I understand that sometimes devices may not connect to the nearest pod, but one roku will always connect to a pod very far away compared to the pod right next to it, and this roku's quality is very poor. I feel as if this roku was connected to the pod in the same room as the roku, then the streaming quality would be better. None of these roku devices have ethernet capability though.

Thanks for your help!

Official Employee

gkroeger, thanks for posting about your experience with the xFi pods! Their purpose is to extend your network coverage and it sounds like you are getting that and better speeds as well. Nice. 

It sounds like the buffering issue you're referring to might be with actual bandwidth concerns. What type of speeds are you getting on your current internet package? How many devices (holistically) are connected to your network and xFi pods at once?  

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @Mbutler448, thanks for reaching out.  There is no way to lock a device in on a Pod or the Gateway unless it's connected via ethernet. 

For devices connected on WiFi, your network will determine the best connection point (Gateway or Pod). 

I would like to ask a few questions to get a better idea of your setup and the issue you're experiencing.

1. How was your network prior to getting xFi Pods - did you have WiFi deadspots or ares where WiFi coverage did not reach?

2. How close are the Pods to your Gateway and each other?

We recommend placing 1 pod about 20 feet from the Gateway (1 room away), and then spacing the remaining pods out a evenly as possible. Ideally, pods should be plugged into open outlets on interior walls and remain unobstructed from large objects such as furniture and plants (think of expanding the signal outwards).

3. Are there multiple Rokus that you are experiencing this issue with, or just one? Can you please send me a Private Message with the name of the Roku device and the Pod it's connecting to?