Community Forum

Can't delete duplicate device

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Can't delete duplicate device

I have two devices for the same computer (the one I am using now).  I checked the IP address and it is different now than the IP address in the old device.  I can't forget and remove the old device because it says it is connected.

Is there a workaround for this issue?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Can't delete duplicate device

RobertWy, thank you for reaching out here! Sorry to hear about the troubles with the duplicate device. Are you able to disconnect the devices from the network? Can you please send screenshots so that I have a better idea about the issues you're running into? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastAlly wrote:

RobertWy, thank you for reaching out here! Sorry to hear about the troubles with the duplicate device. Are you able to disconnect the devices from the network? Can you please send screenshots so that I have a better idea about the issues you're running into? 

It is the computer I am typing on now.  Here are the two entries in xFi:10.0.0.38.jpg

10.0.0.174.jpg

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Have you tried disconnecting the PC from the ethernet and then trying to forget it? 

I had a similar issue and that fixed it. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastMartin wrote:

Have you tried disconnecting the PC from the ethernet and then trying to forget it? 

I had a similar issue and that fixed it. 

For some strange reason, xFi finds two devices with different IP addresses.  When I look at the ipconfig, it has the only IP address  but the app has a different IP address.

I guess I will just stop working on it.  It seems to have the same IP address today, which means I can forget the other device, but I'm concenred I will knock my PC offline again.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.557]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\rwyco>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-CBAI5AM
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.tx.comcast.net

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.tx.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-AB-A4-78-06
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:2c6:4f00:350::5448(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 24, 2019 2:42:54 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 1, 2019 2:42:55 PM
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:2c6:4f00:350:61a3:cb32:23ef:64ad(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2601:2c6:4f00:350:d7:7cd4:3610:a4c(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2601:2c6:4f00:350:74f3:d412:8fb6:d6b9(Deprecated)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::61a3:cb32:23ef:64ad%4(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.174(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 24, 2019 6:23:02 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 1, 2019 4:15:03 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1256:11ff:fe78:cdd7%4
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 50341291
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-EF-BC-F0-00-25-AB-A4-78-06
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:558:feed::1
2001:558:feed::2
2001:558:feed::1
2001:558:feed::2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-E3-7A-AF-A3-44

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 32-E3-7A-AF-A3-43

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-E3-7A-AF-A3-47

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-E3-7A-AF-A3-43

C:\Users\rwyco>

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote: ...

The last adapter in your list has the same MAC address ( 30:E3:7A:AF:A3:43 ) as the one xFi is reporting for IP 10.0.0.38. Maybe you were connected via Wifi at some point?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@BruceW wrote:

@RobertWy wrote: ...

The last adapter in your list has the same MAC address ( 30:E3:7A:AF:A3:43 ) as the one xFi is reporting for IP 10.0.0.38. Maybe you were connected via Wifi at some point?

Good question, but I am not aware that I have ever tried to use this Win10 computer's wifi to connect to the Internet.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi there. I came across this link here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-faqs. In that, you'll see a section showing: How do I remove a device from the Devices section? First, make sure that the device is not currently connected to your home network. Select the name of the device either from the Devices section or from the profile where the device is assigned. Select Device Details, and then Forget Device. This will remove the device from the Devices section and unassign it from the profile that it was associated with (if applicable). It will also permanently delete all historical network activity for this device. If the device reconnects to your home network, it will appear as a new device. Outside of that, I'm not showing any other way to do it. We could try submitting a request to see if it can be done manually on this end, If you'd like to try that. It would likely knock your PC offline again though, like you thought.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Hi there. I came across this link here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-faqs. In that, you'll see a section showing: How do I remove a device from the Devices section? First, make sure that the device is not currently connected to your home network. Select the name of the device either from the Devices section or from the profile where the device is assigned. Select Device Details, and then Forget Device. This will remove the device from the Devices section and unassign it from the profile that it was associated with (if applicable). It will also permanently delete all historical network activity for this device. If the device reconnects to your home network, it will appear as a new device. Outside of that, I'm not showing any other way to do it. We could try submitting a request to see if it can be done manually on this end, If you'd like to try that. It would likely knock your PC offline again though, like you thought.

I was able to use that procedure but the device re-appeared the next day.

Since it is not causing any issue, I will leave it alone.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

• There does not appear to be a means of deleting devices from the list.  They appear in the unconnected list but it would be helpful to clean this list up to better prevent these previously known devices from connecting.
  • Secondarily, do xfinity ‘guest’ or publically connected devices appear in this list?  There are a plethora of devices I have never seen connected.   

Thanks for any help/insight you can provide.  For those like me who monitor the network using your tool, these answers will be helpful.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Addendum:  I just read the post pointing to the ‘forget device’ option.  Disregard that inquiry.  Deleting them all one by one will be onerous which leads to my second query below:

The list of devices I have no knowledge of, that is, foreign or unknowns appearing in the not connected list:  Are these devices from the xfinity guest network?  If so, deleting them will be futile and perhaps unnecessary if they do not have access to the internal network.  The application is the only indicator hence the concern.

Again, many thanks...

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Addendum 2:  I went through and deleted all unknown devices from the ‘not connected’ list.  They were assigned internal IP addresses which is of concern, especially those connected via ethernet as no devices have ever connected in that manner.  The modem is in a secure location.  The wireless connections are another matter.  I have alerts set for unknown/new connections and I have never seen these rogue devices connect.  I can only assume that  xfinity guest connections are assigned internal IP addresses as they were high up in the subnet range.  If this is true, this is a major concern.

Can xfinity provide a definitive answer here, please.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Addendum 3:  The rogue connections have not reappeared since deleting them.  The network is clear and only shows authorized devices.  I assume this is related to the correction to the software that was recently implemented but it would be helpful to delineate how connections are managed on the internal network IP range in the subnet mask with respect to the firewall funcationality of the router.  I have the included Norton security package installed on all devices but that is after the firewall.  My query is how unauthorized connections - not on the authorized list - are handled.

Many thanks...