Community Forum

Browser won't open for xfinity wifi

Highlighted
New Poster

I've been using xfinity wifi often, purchasing a pass every now and then. Normally when I connect to xfinity wifi, the browser automatically opens up to the xfinity page.

It no longer does this. It just attempts to connect and in the end, get the "no internet" message.

I figured out the issue, but I don't know how to fix it. The problem is Ipv4 is not working when I access the xfinity hotspot. Many sites, including xfinity does not work with ipv6 and I believe this is why its not working.

I went into network and internet settings--> change adapter options--> right click and properties on my wifi connection. I have both Ipv4 and 6 checked. When I still had my pass active, I was able to access sites like facebook, youtube, and netflix but I could not acces hundreds of sites like ebay,amazon, comcast, crunchyroll, pnc bank, etc.... because they don't work with ipv6.

So here is my question. What do I need to do to force ipv4 to work on xfinity wifi? Right now its connecting via ivp6 but connects ipv4 when I access my phone hotspot.

I tried the troubleshooting, and I even reset my win10 to factory and even purchased a new wireless network device. Nothing........

edit - btw, I should mention I'm trying to connect to a hotspot via pc (which is why Im using a usb network device). As I said, can't connect to the hotspot on the pc. I took the usb device and put it on my laptop and I could access the hotspot no problem. I connected it to my 2nd pc, no issues. Its just this one computer.

Highlighted
New Poster

Still can't get the xfinity hotspot to work.

I downloaded windows 10 from microsoft's site and used it to reinstall windows. I reseted settings, files, everything so Its as if I have a brand new computer.

I also used the new dual band wirless network adapter I purchased.

When I attempt to connect to the hotspot, the browser still won't open and its saying I either have no gateway, or no ip address. I'm at a lost. The only way I can think to fix this is to buy a new computer at this point.

The issue doesn't seem to be the OS (reinstalled). The issue doesn't seem to be the mac address or the network adapter (its new and I also tried it on a laptop and it works as it should, but not on the pc).

I reset the bios to factory settings just in case.

I'm stumped.

I did try to manually enter a gateway, and the browser did work but only once or twice. It stopped after I restarted.