Community Forum

Are XFi features and Pods supported with Bridge Mode? Wifi and network drop issues need workaround

Highlighted
New Poster

Are XFi features and Pods supported with Bridge Mode? Wifi and network drop issues need workaround

NOTE: If you want to blame my issue on too many devices, wifi location, my home, or something outside my home then please refer to this video of Liam Neeson before considering posting such a reply https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZOywn1qArI

So I too have been combatting persistent wifi and network outages that came with XFi. I've dealt with it persistently and exhaustively and can tell you with almost 90% certainty that I know what the issue is and the cause is definitely the Comcast supplied hardware. Unfortunately I purchased the expansion pods to blanket my house in internet (which does NOT support a true mesh network but that's a conversation for another day) which is a problem because I don't want to have to buy new freaking equipment because the pods work well but the modem/router is the actual problem.

So in short, the underlying cause of the network issues that I see, and I suspect a significant number of other people, is a failure of the DNS Server service in the gateway itself at least for my Arris TG3482G. How do I know this? Because when the internet suddenly stops working, all wifi devices come to a screeching halt but my wired devices do not entirely stop working. They maintain a local IP address and in most cases I can login to the gateway, go to troubleshooting, go to reset/restore gateway, then do reset wifi router, and the network is back up and running in about 90 seconds. I noticed that during these outages I could ping IP addresses but *NEVER* an external web domain. Also during this outage if you go to the gateway's diagnostic tools you'll notice that you CAN ping an external web domain. This is usually a symptom of a failing DNS Server service because the DNS Client service is what sends the ping outside, but inside the network everything is handled by the DNS Server service which is restarted when you reset the wifi router module in the diagnostic tools.

Now for the actual question, I want to utilize the wifi features of the gateway while bypassing the gateway for DNS handling thereby possibly permanently fixing the network drops. A bridge would facilitate this function perfectly. Having never utilized a residential Comcast gateway's bridge feature, I'm not quite sure how it will handle the wireless functionality. Does anyone have any insight into the viability of bypassing the gateway to do this? Any comments welcome except for those who wish to blame outage on something else, those individuals can refer to the aforementioned youtube link.

Thank you in advance

Official Employee

Re: Are XFi features and Pods supported with Bridge Mode? Wifi and network drop issues need worka...

Hey there, dailen, thank you for taking the time to reach out here on the forums. 

When Bridge Mode is enabled, you will not be able to use Xfinity xFi and xFi Pods. However, I would be happy to help troubleshoot these issues with you. Please feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name to get started. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!