Community Forum

Anyone using wireless xi5 box with range extender?

New Poster

Anyone using wireless xi5 box with range extender?

I know Comast's official position on using a network range extender with the wireless xi5 boxes is "can't guarantee it'll work", but I'm wondering if people have tried it and have success or failure stories to share.  I have one wireless xi5 box in my basement that was able to reach the xb3 gateway on the main level until I had to move the gateway about 5 feet.  So clearly it's original position was right on the fringe.  I can get an ethernet cable easily into an area of the basement different from where the tv is, but should be more than close enough to supply good signal to tv area. 

If I'm going to try this, are there any particular specs I'd want to look for in an extender?  Or, if an extender isn't the way to go and there is an alternative thought someone has, I'd be open to that as well.  Thanks.

Official Employee

Re: Anyone with experience using wireless xi5 with range extender?

Use the XFi pods, works fine with the Xi5.

Also, try changing the channel that the WiFi is broadcasting on, it doesn’t take much for WiFi to be interfered with

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

If you can extend an ethernet cable down into the basement, I'd get any decent, up to date wireless router and set it up as a backhaul wireless access point. That way you get wireless access in your basement for all devices at full speed (range extenders typically cut your bandwidth in half). 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@darkangelic - thanks.  Would I also be able to use a wireless access point rather than a wireless router configured to work as an access point?  Just wondering if there's a reason I'd want to do the latter over the former. 

Expert

Are you thinking of something like the Ubiquiti UniFi? That'll work too.

Reason I suggested a router was because a lot of people have an older, unused one lying around so rather than buy a new one, they can reconfigure the older one to work as an access point. Plus, a router will  typically have a switch as well, so you can plug additional ethernet devices into it should you feel the need to. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@ComcastAndrew - thanks.  To be perfectly honest, I didn't even know Xfinity had these pods.  I was a long-time Uverse subscriber who just moved to an area with Xfinity and only got it installed a couple weeks ago.  I don't really need 3 of these things.  Any experience observing non-Xfinity-branded extenders working with the xi5's?  I'd rather not pay $120 for 3 of something if there is just 1 I can be for a fraction of that.

New Poster

I didn't have a particular access point in mind; was only trying to clarify if router vs access point made a difference. 

Frequent Visitor

$15 actiontec ecb3500w moca access point! Works seamlessly with gateways and is fast enough!

Ps..4k only on Netflix... Get roku stick, buy ethernet adapter, done.
New Poster

The pods come in a package of 3 or 6.  I bought 3 and tried them for one week.  They do not work and actually made my reception worse for the cameras farther away from the modem/router.