Community Forum

Anyone have good experience with pods?

Frequent Visitor

Anyone have good experience with pods?

I’m suffering with major issues since getting xFi gateway, hoping the pods I ordered will increase bandwidth and signal in far off rooms. However, in reading a bit here, I’ve not seen success stories with users who tried the pods. Does anyone have a good review and tips you’ve used to make them extend your signal and bandwidth? Is it worth a try at all?
Tags (3)
Frequent Visitor

Re: Anyone have good experience with pods?

I purchased these pods last night from my local store.  Setup was simple enough and I was excited to see if my upstairs bedrooms would have stronger signal strength and they did!  BUT.....downstairs where I stream using the Xfinity Stream app on my TV was bad and resulted in a lot of buffering of the signal to the TV.  I unplugged the pods and signal/speed were great again.  I'm going to install in rooms with just poor signal and see how that works.  I was expecting that having one downstairs where signal strength was good wouldn't hurt but it clearly did.  We shall see but initial thoughts is that they will be going back to the store before too long.

Official Employee

jdk1029 -- Thanks for reaching out & sharing your experience!  It sounds like adjusting the placement of the Pods gave you the coverage you needed in the upstairs bedrooms. For the basement, where you already had good coverage, it's possible you didn't need to place a Pod in that location.

Keep in mind, Pods help extend the range of WiFi coverage in your home to hard-to-reach areas, or areas with poor WiFi signals. They are not intended to provide the maximum speed of your Internet speed tier throughout your home. Additionally, any devices connecting to a Pod may not receive the same speed as a device that connects directly to the Gateway.

Happy to take a closer look if you'd like to troubleshoot placement further.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

They definitely helped extend the range but where things were good, they went bad.  I didn't get any signal in my Master Bedroom so I put a pod in that room and all was good, great as a mtter of fact.  My wife tried her laptop from her home office today and service was poor to non-existant.  I unplugged that pod that was in another room and she's back to normal.  

Highlighted
Official Employee

jdk1029 -- Thanks for the additional information!  If you already had good coverage in the office, you likely didn't need a Pod to help extend your range to that area of your home.

In order to help extend your WiFi connection, Pods need to communicate or connect wirelessly to the xFi Gateway and, depending on their location, they may "hop" through other Pods on their path to get there. The number of "hops" the Pod needs to make to the Gateway will impact the speed.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

the office isn't the issue, the master bedroom is.  BUT when the pod is plugged into the master bedroom outlet, the office wants to pick up that pod. 

New Poster

Thanks. So if possible don’t increase speed throughout your home what can? Pretty big house.
Silver Problem Solver

@KEELER_STEVEN wrote:
Thanks. So if possible don’t increase speed throughout your home what can? Pretty big house.

I purchased the Orbi System.  You can purchase as many Satellites as you need to get full coverage.

Netgear has also announced a gateway but I don't know whether it supports xFi.  I believe it has the same functions, though.  You need to do your research to see if Orbi is applicable to you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DD1DYGF?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=Q3...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

KEELER_STEVEN - 

Pods help extend the range of WiFi coverage in your home to hard-to-reach areas, or areas with poor WiFi signals. They are not intended to provide the maximum speed of your Internet speed tier throughout your home.

I've responded to your other post, where you provided more detail regarding the placement of your Gateway & Pods.