Community Forum

An update about Port Forwarding in xFi

Official Employee

An update about Port Forwarding in xFi

We have recently made several improvements to the Port Forwarding experience in xFi, including better management of existing port forwards and enhanced error messaging.  

If you’re having problems with port forwarding, please review the questions below, which may help to resolve your issue. If you continue to experience a problem, please continue to report your issues here so we can help troubleshoot.

Is your device currently connected to your home network?

If the device is not currently connected to your home network or is not using a DHCP address, adding a port forward may not work. At this time, port forwards cannot be set up using a static IP outside the DHCP range. For the best results, connect your device to your home network and set the device to get an IP automatically from DHCP. Then setting up the desired port forward. xFi will automatically reserve an IP for your device and assign the port forward.

When attempting to set up a port forward are you receiving a message that the port you are trying to set up already exists?  

If so, you will need to delete the existing port forward first before you can re-assign it to a new device. Please note, you cannot edit existing port forwards that do not have an associated device.

Have your LAN settings recently changed?

If you changed your LAN settings, port forwards you previously set up will no longer work. You will need to set up your port forwards again.

Does the device you’re attempting to set up a port forward for have an IPv6 address?

xFi does not currently allow you to set up port forward for devices that have an IPv6 address since port forwarding should not be needed for these devices.  If the device is dual stack (has both an IPv4 and IPv6 address) the IP recognized by xFi depends on which address your device defaults to. Port forwarding can only be configured in xFi if the device is using the IPv4 address.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: An update about Port Forwarding in xFi

Amswers in tech lingo are useless.

Regular Visitor

Reading tech support forums without any knowledge of basic terminology of the items you're reading about (or the forethought to Google the terms to figure it out before creating a bitter post)  is useless.

How's that for an "Amswers", geraldday?  And thank you for the update post, ComcastDaniella!

Frequent Visitor

The new page makes forwarding simple enough, but can IP address filtering be added?

I use RDP from my office sometimes, but I'm not about to open that up to the world.

The Arris I had previously did provide this from that port forward page normally.

New Poster

My IP address on my modem page (XB6) is correct.  The address on the xFi page is incorrect so the port forward goes to the wrong address.  I talk to 2 Wireless Gateway Department techs last night and the second one send a tech to my home to change the modem (which did not need changing) because no one know why they are not the same.  The address in question were staticly assigned using reserve ports.  when I switch to my new modem they held there address till reboot then got a DHCP address.  I can not been abot to fix the xFi website or app since that day but the MODEM has them correct.  BUT you can not do a port forwad from the modem anymore Smiley Sad

New Poster

Device ip info is still not updating between the router and the Xfi page/app.
This is something that MUST be fixed as there is NO WAY to setup port forwarding when Xfi is using the WRONG IP for a device!

Why is this so hard to fix?

From reading these forums for the last 3 days trying to fix port forwarding, It would appear this is a long ongoing problem!

New Poster

This thread is sad. The basics of being able to set up a port forward or delete past ones do not work. I've tried every suggestion in this long thread (a year-long...) and none work. I'm trying to help my Dad with his network. If it was me I'd find another provider. The inability to provide the basics is inexcusable.

New Poster

I've been messing with port fowarding all night and i've found that, even though xfi claims that the ports specified have been fowarded, none of the specified ports have been successfully fowarded. My settings have been set and i've tried the most common answers i can find from changing LAN settings in xfi to setting my device as a reserved IP address and none of these have fixed it.

Official Employee

@Coffee_, I just reached out on your previous thread about the issue you are experiencing. 

@fepman@Soulsturtle@The_Mace, if you would like help troubleshooting your port forward issues, please send me details for the device you are trying to establish the port forward for and what specifically is not working. I would be happy to help look into them.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

So your signature states that you are an official Comcast employeee and then explicity asks people to post things publicly so that others may learn from the thread if they are having the same problem (a wise thing).  But in the handful of threads I've just looked at most of the discussions are then taken "private" via direct messages and no follow-up is ever posted.  This is astoundingly UNhelpful. 

I very much understand that some info shouldn't be posted publicly on the forums but if the answers just become "message us, you can't fix it, only we can do it because it's yet another screw-up in the Comcast backend" then why not just close the thread, get rid of all the useless posts, and state that the customer can't fix it?  It would save a lot of reading and searching that just results in frustration for end users.  

At the very least a follow up of some kind should be posted by the tech (or whatever) that gives a general idea of the fix.  This also lets customers steer the people at Comcast of what needs to be done to resolve the issue if we end up contacting a tech directly (instead of the usual chasing around in circles that ends up happening).

Silver Problem Solver

@ItJustBeMe wrote:

So your signature states that you are an official Comcast employeee and then explicity asks people to post things publicly so that others may learn from the thread if they are having the same problem (a wise thing).  But in the handful of threads I've just looked at most of the discussions are then taken "private" via direct messages and no follow-up is ever posted.  This is astoundingly UNhelpful. 

I very much understand that some info shouldn't be posted publicly on the forums but if the answers just become "message us, you can't fix it, only we can do it because it's yet another screw-up in the Comcast backend" then why not just close the thread, get rid of all the useless posts, and state that the customer can't fix it?  It would save a lot of reading and searching that just results in frustration for end users.  

At the very least a follow up of some kind should be posted by the tech (or whatever) that gives a general idea of the fix.  This also lets customers steer the people at Comcast of what needs to be done to resolve the issue if we end up contacting a tech directly (instead of the usual chasing around in circles that ends up happening).

The Comcast employees do not post private information in a public forum.  Using the messaging system is not posting in public; it is user-to-user.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

That is what I stated. 

But the point I was making was that going to private messaging and never coming back to the thread and metioning what the problem was helps no one except that one single person, which is the opposite of what they ask others to do.  I understand that provate information shouldn't be posted here, but with very few exceptions they should be able come back and state what the type of problem and resolution was without publishing any private information.  I cannot believe that most problem resoultions are related to the private information itself (name, address, passwords, billing, account information) but a problem that information relates to. "The fix for problem XXXX was due to an incorrect account setting related to xxxx feature that can only be accessed and corrected by Comcast employees" is useful.  Obviously "Bob at 49 Pine Street, Anytown USA didn't pay his bill for 3 months so we cut his service," while maybe helpful , would not be acceptable.

I'm not trying to be a PITA, just trying to get it so people looking for help can actually find it better.  Just ending a thread without at least even stating a problem was resolved is unhelpful.

New Poster

What is port forwarding? What is port forwarding used for? Why would one want to use port forwarding? Help! I am so confused, because I have not a clue what port forwarding. l never heard of port forwarding.
Silver Problem Solver

@Luke_Skywalker8 wrote:
What is port forwarding? What is port forwarding used for? Why would one want to use port forwarding? Help! I am so confused, because I have not a clue what port forwarding. l never heard of port forwarding.

I had to google:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K6jMYBfuIY

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

So basically what I'm reading is I can't forward the same ports to more than one device. This doesn't seem right. I have multiple devices having an issue with Discord and they opperate on the same network. I need to forward the discord voice UDP ports to all three of them.

Regular Visitor

Somehow I did end up with a port forward that does not have an assicoated device. I do not know how, perhaps I forwarded to the wrong device, which was offline? Since deviced are identified by cryptic identifiers instead of IP address, selecting the correct device to forward to can be challenging.

How can I correct this situation and delete the port forward so I can assign the port to a different device?

Thank you,

Peter

New Poster

Does Xfinity require a Comcast rental modem in order to port forward?  I have my own purchased Arris SVG2482AC modem installed.  I log into the Arris modem and the port forwarding page says:  "Managed devices and Port Forwarding pages are moved to cloud.  Please use the following link to access cloud portal:  internet.xfinity.com."  This link takes me xfinity xFi, where it asks me to upgrade my equipment.